AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Anybody got a good advice for a 1.3 gain acoustic transperant screen material for a DIY 16:9 110" screen. I DONT want perforated screenmateriel (got it now, and with fullHD it is so easy to see the holes)it need to be weawed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am currently using the Dazian AT material at 106" with an AE900 and it is a bit dim for my tastes. I would like to find a material also that is about 1.3 gain.

Can someone please chime in if you know of better materials?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms /forum/post/15585933

I am currently using the Dazian AT material at 106" with an AE900 and it is a bit dim for my tastes. I would like to find a material also that is about 1.3 gain.

As I have seen nobody produce higher gains than 1.1 on AT screens. SMX has 1.1 in weawen materiel. Other "only" got 1.0. I am looking for best quality compared to price. I dont have 1000$ of dollars to get the no. 1 screen.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms /forum/post/15585933

I've also been using a Dazian AT screen for four years now. I've always wondered about SMX. I recently ordered a screen from a guy who builds them on ebay. It is not AT but my speakers sit to the side and below my screen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm building one my self using same material.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This allmost to good to be true... SMX materiel at 30$/ yard??? I guess that a SMX screen is 10000's off dollars... but ok a curved 200" smx screen is allmost that kind of money woth... it looks like it can't be made better at ALL.. i will make a copycopy in wood for 500$ dollars or less

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/15628056

Phifer Shearweave 4500. It is a woven material with 5% openess and a 1.16 gain. This is the original SMX material. Here is a link to an online seller.

http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...=113044&t=2182

Wow, that's some deal. I wish I had known about this three weeks ago. I could have just replaced the Dazian AT fabric on my current frame.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Don't get your hopes up, SW4500 is definitely not SmX material. There is allot of misleading posts here on AVS from individuals that look at two weaves and think they are the same. I purchased SW-4500 for my screen with high hopes and it had horrible moire issues no matter how much I rotated it. It also reduced ANSI contrast. The high frequency in my audio also dropped when I placed my speakers behind it. I see other people in other threads here having moire issues with it as well.

The SmX has a tighter less discernible weave with no moire issues at all. The SmX surface is much smoother in comparison plus it is truly audio transparent. I took a close up picture of both the SmX and SW-4500 side by side. See the apparent difference?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I see, and ofcourse there is a difference...i knew it..;-) Lets turn it around how about a comparision at Dazian AT vs SW-4500????

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hmm, I can definitely see a difference. I was going to ask the question about the direction it was to be turned, but that was answered by MarkP. My Dazian AT screen has been pretty good for over 4yrs but it's time for an upgrade/update (it has two small wrinkles). My speakers are behind the screen wall but not behind the screen. The left and right speakers are on the sides and the center is below the screen. The screen wall is simply speaker cloth so I don't think I really even need AT. I'm going to retire our BenQ PE 7800 in March and get a BenQ PE 5000 or if I go LCD, a Panny AE3000. I'm going to give the 16:1 screen from shoppingdeals on ebay a chance. It should be here next week. From what I've heard and seen, the frame is excellent. I thought I could buy some of this SW-4500 material if I didn't like his screen material and I still may.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I recieved a couple of samples from Seymour AV yesterday. On the left on the first picture is the original Center Stage material. On the right is their new Center Stage XD. I compared these materials to my current Dazian AT material which is in the second pic. Both of the Seymour AV materials are brighter than the Dazian. The XD has a tighter weave than the standard Center Stage and is slightly brighter and seems to have better contrast. I am currently only comparing these small samples to my Dazian but they make my current screen look rather washed out and very dim. These were shot in different lights so the white balance is not entirely comparable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just traded emails with Chris Seymour and I have to say I appreciate the response and effort he makes.

I tried to contact SMX about the material they use and oddly I did not recieve a response. I am sure they are busy as everyone is very interested in the AT screen setup.

Based on the pictures provided it appears the new Seymour XD has a weave that is very tight and may eliminate the Moire effect.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In the past week I have sent several emails to Chris and SMX as well. With Chris I typically get a response within an hour or two. With SMX I get their default auto reply email but no actual person for several days. I actually had to send SMX another email telling them I had no response in order for them to respond.

I would still like to compare the SMX material to the Seymour AV material but at this point Chris definitely has my business due to quick response and being able to answer any questions very promptly and professionally.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The 4500 is where it all started. It's what SMX was originally and what Center Stage (I believe) was originally. It was touted as the best DIY AT screen by pretty much everyone.

Both companies have since differentiated themselves from 4500 for what I can only imagine is for marketing, legal and slight performance reasons. Can't really make a viable business by slapping a new name on an existing product (well you could but it makes much more sense to do what they did).

I'd say straight-up 4500 is great, great DIY material for an AT screen. Or Seymore (spelling?) sells his material directly for the diy'ers as well (which is GREAT of him). SMX really has gone the high-end product path and moved away from the DIY roots that spawed his business.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKEW /forum/post/15668754

I just traded emails with Chris Seymour and I have to say I appreciate the response and effort he makes.

I tried to contact SMX about the material they use and oddly I did not recieve a response. I am sure they are busy as everyone is very interested in the AT screen setup.

Based on the pictures provided it appears the new Seymour XD has a weave that is very tight and may eliminate the Moire effect.

Same experience for me too...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms /forum/post/15641549

I would assume then that this must be tilted to avoid moire. Is this correct?

It depends on the projector and display technology. I have a JVC lcos projector and the sheerweave material does not need to be rotated, but it does with a DLP projector. I believe it has something to do with the pixel fill factor between the different display technologies.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P /forum/post/15643454

Don't get your hopes up, SW4500 is definitely not SmX material. There is allot of misleading posts here on AVS from individuals that look at two weaves and think they are the same. I purchased SW-4500 for my screen with high hopes and it had horrible moire issues no matter how much I rotated it. It also reduced ANSI contrast. The high frequency in my audio also dropped when I placed my speakers behind it. I see other people in other threads here having moire issues with it as well.

The SmX has a tighter less discernible weave with no moire issues at all. The SmX surface is much smoother in comparison plus it is truly audio transparent. I took a close up picture of both the SmX and SW-4500 side by side. See the apparent difference?

SMX no longer uses the Sheerweave material, but it was the original material used by Ruben. In his home theater build thread it was mentioned frequently, but all references to the Sheerweave material have since been deleted.

The SMX screen material has a 5% openess to the 10% of the Sheerweave material and so has a tighter weave.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts