Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks -

I'm looking for the best paint mix for my X1. I'm in the process of re-doing my living room (theater room..) and bought a piece of 4x8 parkland plas-tex at Lowe's.

Prior to hanging the screen on the wall, I was just projecting on the wall which I just painted - a dark brown. The picture was actually quite good - the paint seems to have some reflective properties that made for a very nice looking picture. I put up my white piece of parkland and of course the picture is 'brighter' but I have lost a lot of the contrast and 'richness' of the picture..

For a PJ like the X1 with xlnt contrast and a decent lumen output, what paint formula am I best off using? I was thinking of putting a dark base-coat on it and then mixing some reflective silver metallic paint about 40/60 with a translucent white color...would this 'richen' my picture? Would I be better off using one of the formulas listed here, or do a three coat process with a dark base, pure silver metallic, then a translucent white?

Thanks for the help!

Straw

·
Registered
428 Posts
Check into the "Misty Evening" (or "MM") threads. I used this paint for my 125" (4x3) screen, 1.5"x1.5" wood framed blackout cloth screen. My X1 looks wonderful on this subtle grey screen. In addition, it's an easy first screen paint. YMMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ME works well for you? From some reading I was doing on these forums I read that ME was not necessary for a PJ with a contrast ratio like the X1? You're happy? Has anyone else tried it? :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
For me, it's better than white because of the "contrast and 'richness'" that you discussed. With ME I'm able to push the brightness and contrast down further and retain a balanced pic. Keep in mind that I don't have black walls, so reflected light is an issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Straw
Hey folks -

I'm looking for the best paint mix for my X1. I'm in the process of re-doing my living room (theater room..) and bought a piece of 4x8 parkland plas-tex at Lowe's.

Prior to hanging the screen on the wall, I was just projecting on the wall which I just painted - a dark brown. The picture was actually quite good - the paint seems to have some reflective properties that made for a very nice looking picture. I put up my white piece of parkland and of course the picture is 'brighter' but I have lost a lot of the contrast and 'richness' of the picture..

For a PJ like the X1 with xlnt contrast and a decent lumen output, what paint formula am I best off using? I was thinking of putting a dark base-coat on it and then mixing some reflective silver metallic paint about 40/60 with a translucent white color...would this 'richen' my picture? Would I be better off using one of the formulas listed here, or do a three coat process with a dark base, pure silver metallic, then a translucent white?

Thanks for the help!

Straw
Which Lowes did you get it from ? I'm in MA and tried couple of Lowes but no luck for me. How much did you pay ?

I recenlty bought X1 and trying to go same way after reading good reviews for parkland. Could you post update on your results with how X1 performs along with parkland ? Pictures would be hgihly appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I made a stand alone screen that has flat white on one side and ME on the other. The X1 was calibrated for each side, so I could switch sides easily. My response after seeing the same scene on each screen was "what are the heck are people thinking using ME?" ( no offense to E Jackson). Dull screen, dull colors, dull whites, no pop to the movies. The space shuttle and restaurant test scenes on the DVE calibration disk really shows the differences. Both scenes have a lot of white, with the ME screen the space shuttle and the plates in the restaurant are a light gray. I watch in a very dark room, so blacks are no problem.

Be sure to calibrate the brightness and contrast. Some DVD players, like the Zenith 318 are way too bright on the X1, so before calibration some people may prefer a grey screen to tone it down.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ME was tried out by some to get more contrast from a LCD projector. That color of screen has long since been abandoned by the original developers for changing the films' color too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have read through countless threads on DIY paint combinations and have still not seen a definitive answer to the X1 solution. I am currently projecting onto a wall with only a primer/sealer paint.

The X1 is a reasonably high contrast projector with a low lumens output.

I would think that a white screen with some reflective properties would be desirable. But...am I now increasing the chances of rainbows (I presently do not see them)?

All my reading here (I really do appreciate everyone's contributions) has pointed out two solutions I think.

Mississippi Mud / White Opal Pearlescence (Not sure of %'s)

30% Cloud Nine

30% Pearlescent

40% Ultra Pure White

I would appreciate any further updates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes IM in the same boat, looking for a paint for my screen parkland. SOmeone please in simple terms what paint works best? Right now I"M on the just the parkland plastic and everything is too washed out dull looking

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've recently purcahsed X1 & after reading thru this forum the easiest solution for me was PP. I've recently purchased PP from local store. Due to size issue I cut it out to 4x6 (instead of 4x8). I've fixed it on my wall using regular push pins (that way I dont need to make frame). The only thing you might need to worry about putting it on wall is to make sure that it sticks properly and there are no loose ends. Whole process of sticking to wall took me 5 minutes using push pin. Now I need to find a good paint for my PP. Image without paint seems to be little bit dull under normal light condition.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've been using Silverscreen and although it is my first screen paint, I have been very happy with it. I have total light control and don't find it too dark.

I can't see anything being so much better to force me try another except for maybe light fusion - which is currently in planning stages.

Good luck and post your results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.