AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater room is 31' x 16' by 9', and can be made as dark as I like.

I am looking for recommendations for the best screen + projector (of any type) if one is lucky enough that money is not an object (though inconvenience, like 2 CRTs might be, is an object). Of course, I'd like to have the screen be as big as possible (but not if it compromises performance too greatly).

Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Actually, Peter.. it looks like the guys with virtually no cash, and small living rooms are going to get the best stuff first... for once.

·
Registered
897 Posts
For a projector, JVC QX1G for $250,000 plus a lens.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sat_uplinker
For a projector, JVC QX1G for $250,000 plus a lens.
Uh... When I said "no object", perhaps I was speaking too soon... Make that money is not a major issue... I stand duly chastened.

Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean that less than or up to $100,000 for the projector is as far as I could possibly push myself. When I said "no object" originally, I clearly didn't understand the level of quality (and expense) out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Quality and expense are not direct correlations in this arena, like so many others. For example a multi-hundred thousand dollar PJ doesn't necessarily look appreciably better than say a 9" PJ on an under 10' screen.

Likewise, the best value out there IMHO is a 9500 Marquee from Tim Martin at e-Tech with new VDC tubes. Damn great picture / price ratio. I've seen his work on these units and it's awfully impressive.

If I had a budget of under $20K, I'd get a re-tubed unit from Tim, a Stewart screen and a well built HTPC (which includes a Mike Parker MP-1 Modified card). Fantastic combo that you'd be hard pressed to beat.

Ted

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Ken,

Since I'm on a roll, I won't agree with you either. I've seen Chris' unit (PJ that is ;) ) on a 5' wide screen with Terranex. Looked nice. Edge focus wasn't there, and beam spot size isn't as small.

See, you can change out all the resistors you like, replace with silver wire, rub a little snake oil on it but you still have some basic limitations according to the PJ's original architecture. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine unit, but I wouldn't trade it for a G90 ever.

But thank God you'll be able to fix this sucker, Ken. Seriously, though, I'd consider entertaining your thoughts after this thing's warranty is over.

Ted

·
Registered
602 Posts
.The problem I have with a G90 ( good base projector ) is the signal path.

Tons of additional components that all add noise and distortion to the video signal itself. Also a tight beam spot is only as good as your deflection of that spot. If the same "pixel" never lands in exactly the same spot frame to frame because of frame by frame blooming then your dynamic spot over time gets a lot bigger in a temporal sense.

I do spend a lot of time on repeatable deflection.

Most people look at projectors as "static" they are not. They are very dynamic and all sorts of stuff changes frame by frame. A static beam spot size is not a good specification as it does not account for real life pictures.

Which show did you see the projector ? was this CEDIA ? If so we never ran any video based HiDef. You see that's a real test of dynamic resolution. We ran film HiDef which is different :)

AND thanx for the nice words about the projector KBK :) I really take that as a compliment coming from you !

KBK is correct the Sony can be modded. I don't do it but Ken sure would know what to do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Stephens
It means DLP isn't quite black enough so you need to listen to polka to fix it :) http://www.xymox1.com/z.gif
A, a sarcastic shot at DLP. I'm usually good at sarcasm when I know what I'm doing (clearly not the case here)...

·
Registered
602 Posts
NEGATIVE LIGHT MATRIX Reloaded

"You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake up in your HT and you believe whatever blacks you want to believe."

"You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the blacks go."

:)

Im sorry its just too tempting :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tht's my bugaboo as well. stable deflection, stable line placement, etc. All adds up to 'resolution'....

As for the Sony vs. 'x'... well, we don't need another thread like the old ones. We've had enough.

Chris:

I gots a 'digital unit' on the 'Go'. Good old space technology strikes again. Those bloody NASA guys are still copying my work! ;)

We tried it up against a uncalibrated, but still.. fairly well 'eyeball' tuned 1208/2 from 1997. It came up pretty darned close.. and surprisingly so. I mean, the usual DLP problems where still there. The image was not necessarily worse.. just different. I can do better! I just need to make my own gear......It took me almost a full year to slowly figure out the problems to the point of elimination. Almost there!

Then I modded the 1208/2. Oh well......

I may bring a surprisingly good looking digital unit to go 'head to head' with in the near future.

·
Registered
602 Posts
But Ken, Digital has those little pixel thingy's. I just can't watch a picture that's broken up into a bunch of little pieces. Ok ok, its a million little pieces BUT STILL. Can you say aliasing ?

And then there is the "bits" issue. Lets see how many steps are there between 0IRE and 10IRE on a digital projector ??.. Oh yea - THERE ARE STEPS !. On a CRT you got at least 16bit precision between 0 and 10IRE. No steps at all either.

Bah.. Your playing with a digital box.

Now anyone who wants a real mans digital box. I got one I can sell you. Its 4096x2048 D-ILA and cost, ummm, well it costs $2Million.

BUT it still has them darn bits and pixels. BUT you can plug your 3Gigabit Ethernet cable in to feed it 2Kp24 !. And man does it got pixels almost 9 million of them. I can also sell you a digital movie camera to shoot those 4K home movies on and display at 4K on the projector !. Of course thats over a million too. So for a modest 3 or 4 Million $ you can get a REAL mans digital HT system :)

Of course a MiniDV camcorder and a Teranex and CRT and you will have a better picture. But HEY what do you want for $4 million !

We need a de-pixelator. Once we get to oversampling, say 2 or 4 times HiDef the pixels will be small enough. Of course at least 12 or 16 true bits per pixel minimum. The current 8bit standard sux..

SO I need a 10,000:1 contrast ratio - 8192x4096 by 20 real bit digital box.

I could get excited by that. Oh wait -- 1st generation 35mm movie film is better then all that already !. Wow and no bits or pixels !

Hmmm.. Film is a lot like CRT !

Ken I will be at CEDIA of course :)

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I will agree and disagree with some of the above comments. Have to catch on sleep, have tried the panasonic 3 chipper on a shootout against the g-90 on a Negative light matrix screen, and against the Dwin ts 3 DLP on a non perf. I think that the perf screen is not that necessary, the contrast ratio on the panny is very good.

The G-90 is better on resolution, however Chris is wrong in one thing. You need Brightness in order to fully appreciate color depth.

The Panny is great at 4,500 lumens but when you flip the switch to 6,000 lumens WOW it's reality time.

Must sleep, very interesting and hectic 72 hours. be back.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Peter

what was the screen size ? do you mean that even for home theater scree size, you need that many lumens to have a life like image ??

as for perf or not (the never ending debate) for home theater use, I think a good compromise is 2.35:1 constant height screen (says 13-15ft wide), left and right speakers on the edges of the screen, tilted toward the audience and an horizontal shaped center speaker, at say about 50-75cm from the ground, tilted towards the audience too. it's a good compromise. Again, only with constant height scope screen. 16/9 screen would be too low.

thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.