AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater room is 31' x 16' by 9', and can be made as dark as I like.

I am looking for recommendations for the best screen + projector (of any type) if one is lucky enough that money is not an object (though inconvenience, like 2 CRTs might be, is an object). Of course, I'd like to have the screen be as big as possible (but not if it compromises performance too greatly).

Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There will be many suggestions. I'll start with a couple.

Projector: Sony G90 9" tubes, 2500x2000 resolution, bright picture. Prices for B stock and used ones run in the upper teen-thousands.

Screens - Stewart Filmscreen Theatertek

A less expensive alternative to the Sony projector would be an Electrohome 9500; runs $10-12,000.

Charlie

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by essmeier
There will be many suggestions. I'll start with a couple.

Projector: Sony G90 9" tubes, 2500x2000 resolution, bright picture. Prices for B stock and used ones run in the upper teen-thousands.

Screens - Stewart Filmscreen Theatertek

A less expensive alternative to the Sony projector would be an Electrohome 9500; runs $10-12,000.

Charlie
Great, thanks.

What size / aspect ratio is that screen?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'll second Charlie's comment. I have a 16:9 96" wide, though you can easily go wider.

Ted

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Here we go again...

There is no "one best" projector. The better projectors out there all have slight differences that may be important to one person but not important to the next (ex: more light output on one, better colours maybe on another, etc). It's sort of like asking "what's the best sports car".

Since you're asking you probably don't know of these differences in which case I'm sure you'd be absolutely thrilled with any one of the following:

Sony G90

Electrohome 9500LC (and it's variants)

Ampro 4600

NEC 10PG

Barco Cine 9 or maybe a 1209s/2

(All 9" Liquid-Coupled projectors with EM focus)

A Stewart 1.3 gain screen would probably be the best for any of these.

Kal

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, very helpful.

I know it's an ambiguous question, but I'm looking for opinions (including very subjective ones).

Quote:
Originally posted by kal
Here we go again...

There is no "one best" projector. The better projectors out there all have slight differences that may be important to one person but not important to the next (ex: more light output on one, better colours maybe on another, etc). It's sort of like asking "what's the best sports car".

Since you're asking you probably don't know of these differences in which case I'm sure you'd be absolutely thrilled with any one of the following:

Sony G90

Electrohome 9500LC (and it's variants)

Ampro 4600

NEC 10PG

Barco Cine 9 or maybe a 1209s/2

A Stewart 1.3 gain screen would probably be the best for any of these.

Kal

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
No problem - budget's going to be a big factor here. Some of these are considerably more expensive then others and some of them are hard to find.

If I was buying, I'd probably drop the Cine 9 off the list right away as it's the *only* one that's not available as B-stock or refurbed. Meaning that you have to buy it retail new from barco and it's probably around 40-60K USD.

Ampro 4600's and NEC 10PG's aren't really plentiful and there aren't many people who really deal in them so if support's a big issue you may not want to consider one of those.

The 9500LC is good idea as there are lots of dealers / reburbishers here who repair and sell them.

But again, this is just my opinion based on my needs. Yours will be different!

Kal

·
Registered
358 Posts
room that big..stacked 9500lc's

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
See, I disagree. In my opinion the screen size limitation isn't the PJ, light output, etc. It's the source material. DVD sort of gets max'ed out at 100" wide. I'd keep the screen, with a single 9".

Ted

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am in similar situation. My room is shorter though. I went with a marquee 9500 I am getting from Curt Palme. You should call some of the people like Curt. Also, call AV Science to ask about the screen. I have found that, unlike many other high end things you can buy, the people I talked to about this stuff were very honest and straightforward. If budget is not a problem, you might be better served to search on here for the best calibrator you can get. Then go by their recommendation on equipment. All the previously mentioned equipment is close enough that the calibrator will make all the difference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted White
See, I disagree. In my opinion the screen size limitation isn't the PJ, light output, etc. It's the source material. DVD sort of gets max'ed out at 100" wide. I'd keep the screen, with a single 9".

Ted
I agree with this. All the projectors mentioned are going to be plenty for any source you are going to get as well. I think the real issue is going to be your other equipment.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You really should include Tim at e-Tech on your list of "must call"

Ted

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Also budget an installation and calibration by a pro who knows your model of PJ...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
I use HTPC with TheaterTek for my G90 on a 107" wide 16x9 screen (Stewart Ultramatte with 1.5 gain). The unit was callibrated by William Phelps and a good DVD transfer looks incredible. I think the screen could be even wider. The B-stock G90 units are now selling for about 23k with A-stock at 26k. Although this is significantly more than the 9500LC units, if you are looking for the best this is it (in my opinion).

Kevin

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by howdydoody
I use HTPC with TheaterTek for my G90 on a 107" wide 16x9 screen (Stewart Ultramatte with 1.5 gain). The unit was callibrated by William Phelps and a good DVD transfer looks incredible. I think the screen could be even wider. The B-stock G90 units are now selling for about 23k with A-stock at 26k. Although this is significantly more than the 9500LC units, if you are looking for the best this is it (in my opinion).

Kevin
Was your Stewart Ultramatte perforated or are the speakers out front?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm going to bet non-perf. I have nearly the same set up Kevin, except 96" wide.

Ted

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by howdydoody
Ted is correct. My screen is non-perf.

Kevin
Thanks. Do you think going with a set-up similar to yours, but with a perforated screen, would be an error (e.g., from light loss)?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
one item to consider

when buying a high dollar projector

is can the tubes be rebuilt

the tubes

for the sony g90 cannot be

nor can the tubes for my sony 1292

this unfortunate situation may be

corrected one day

but it has not yet

XANATOS

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe you'd want to specify the part about money being no object. The best price/performance deal would probably be a refurbished Marquee 9500LC with extra cheese (i.e all kinds of improvement mods done to it). If the price/rebuildability is no object whatsoever, a new Sony G90 or Barco Cine9 could be the choice for you, as most people tend to lean towards the G90 as the definitive reference projector.

But of course, this is also a matter of taste and the differance in image quality of these machines are very subtle. There is no way you would be dissapointed with any of the models mentioned.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.