AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater room is 31' x 16' by 9', and can be made as dark as I like.

I am looking for recommendations for the best screen + projector (of any type) if one is lucky enough that money is not an object (though inconvenience, like 2 CRTs might be, is an object). Of course, I'd like to have the screen be as big as possible (but not if it compromises performance too greatly).

Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Read all posts in the last month, then come talk.....Your question is WAY too vague. "BEST" is probably the most debated word in existence...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaCha
Read all posts in the last month, then come talk.....Your question is WAY too vague. "BEST" is probably the most debated word in existence...
Gee, that's so helpful. Obviously, I am asking for an opinion (a subjective assessment of "best") and just trying to have some fun (yes, you're right, the question is vague, good for you). But, instead of answering or ignoring, you've given me 100 hours of homework in a nasty haughty tone, because hey, you've been on this board for awhile, and you know what you're doing, and isn't it fun to feel superior and lecture people over the net without consequences. Thanks, very helpful, go read the last month of "how to win friends and influence people."

·
Registered
222 Posts
A good place to start is to look at projectorcentral.com and take a look at thier top 10 list of projectors. This is a pretty good indication of whats "hot" these days and it also breaks it down into different categories like price/resolution etc.

Screens are a whole new ball game and you really need to figure out if you want a pull down, fixed, or DIY. Take a read on the screen forum. Stewarts are the most expensive, however Da lite puts out some good products at much more reasonable prices. The other option is DIY. If I didn't have kids (so I went the pull down route) I would have done a DIY fixed screen with Dalite material.

You are going to find that there is no such thing as best projector, each has their pros/cons and it comes down to budget, set up and sheer preference.

After narrowing it down to a few projectors, go see it with your own eyes. This is the best test of all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This is not my first time to post about tri-DLP but...

If money is not an object, then I would go with this NEC !!! -- A 0.9" three-chip DLP light canon with a 1kW lamp. I have seen it at one of my local AV dealers (a really crazy one), where it was throwing a stunning bright image onto a huge screen. I am sure that you can easily fill up the entire 16'-wide wall of your HT with this projector. Go for a 15'-16' width Stewart screen -- Grayhawk or Firehawk or whatever!

The NEC HD4K is a professional installation projector, so it is noisy (rated 51dB). But since money is a non-issue, of course you want to create a little "projection room" in the back of your HT, where the projector and other gears will be neatly set up.

Mmm.... yummy dream, huh? :D

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/images/1/F/hd4k_lg.jpg

[edit: added picture in order to compete with Barco... LOL]

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hey, thegratingone, I was in fact pretty serious in the above proposal of the NEC HD4K. :D Do you have any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
Hey, thegratingone, I was in fact pretty serious in the above proposal of the NEC HD4K. :D Do you have any thoughts on it?
Given my level of knowledge at this point, my "thoughts" are pretty useless. However, I'm going to talk with my contractor about it and see if building the projector room is a feasible option.

·
Registered
502 Posts
oh gratingone, thou art a grating one....and lazy too.

The answer to your question is that the best screen and projector are: drumroll.....whichever pleases your eye most.

Now my question, which is better blonde or brunette?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sushi, does that thing come with a power generator, too?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
rogo, I do not think so. You are supposed to hook it up to the AC receptable that normally drives your home heating system, which you will never need anymore... :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well, heck, why not go for one of those $125,000 jobs that LucasFilm is pushing all of the local cinemaplexes to install? :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaCha
oh gratingone, thou art a grating one....and lazy too.

The answer to your question is that the best screen and projector are: drumroll.....whichever pleases your eye most.

Now my question, which is better blonde or brunette?

Not lazy, just don't have the opportunity to view all the screens and projectors that those on this board probably have (would love to actually).

Am grating.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Thegrating One

If you have any questions concerning projectors and or screens, why dont you give us a call at the forum. That what we are here for.

You can reach me at 585 454-1460 ext 206

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.