AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has finally come to make final decisions on my HT and the build-out. I welcome any and all advice. I've decided on a constant width set-up. The first decision I must make is:

Should I go with a 11 foot wide screen, thus making the best seat in the house in the front row with a viewing angle of 37 degrees and the 2nd row with a viewing angle of 29 degrees (The rows are 6 feet apart with the first row being 16.5 feet from the screen and the second being 21.5 feet from the screen.)

OR

Go with a 14 foot wide screen, which makes the second row the best seat with a viewing angle of 36 degrees and the first row have a viewing angle of 46 degrees.

Granted this decision is subjective, but still I'm guessing this is a decision many of you have faced before and have well informed opinions, which frankly, I do not.

I want both WOW factor and usability. (I'm guessing option one above would give me more usability while Option 2 would give more of a WOW factor.)

Thanks so much for any and all opinions.

-ECOCO

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Hi ECOCO!

Best advice I can offer at this point is to get the acoustics right first. The last thing to worry about is screen size. Let the room acoustics dictate the screen size, not the other way around, and I think you'll find you'll get that WOW factor you're looking for! Best wishes in your new build!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My room is 22 feet wide, 26 feet deep and 13 feet in height. Basically a rectangular room. New construction. And I was thinking a screen that allows you to put speakers behind (L-C-R). Total 7.1 or perhaps even adding the "height" channels. Acoustics should not be a problem. The reason to start with screen size is I need to build out my proscenium.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The size of the screen is partially dictated by what you are using for a projector. The bigger the screen the more expensive (usually) the projector, depending on your lighting situation.

Have you thought through what projector you will be using?

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
It is subjective, but the good part is it is subjective based on your desires. I always recommend that someone building start by knowing their own personal preferences. There are plenty of articles and discussions about viewing angles, etc... but if this is to be a room that works for you - and unless it is a showpiece it really should be based on working for you - the angles are secondary.

Go to the theater (whichever one is best, to you, in your area), spend some time and pick your exact favorite seat. Then take the time to do the math on screen size versus your seating preference. Most theaters use ceiling tiles, and they are usually the 2x4 foot tiles. So you can count the width of the screen, then you can count your distance to the screen, and get your own personal preferred ratio.

Then, knowing your own desired ratio you can build your theater seating layout. You might be able to get exactly the same ratio, or get close to it, but you'll know going into it that you'll enjoy that ratio.

If it is your theater, and you'll actually be using it, you should get the ratio that is right for you. The wow factor will come pretty much by default anyway, even the "small" screen of 11 feet will blow most people away.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yeah... 14' wide screen will take a very beefy projector.

That said, another option would be to go for the 11' wide screen and move the seating closer. My screen is 129" wide (1" short of 11') and my front row is at ~10.5 feet away, back row is at 17.5' with a bar behind that. Not sure my AE3000 could handle a much bigger screen but there is plenty of wow factor. Granted, my room is only about 13.5' wide...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/18153497

Yeah... 14' wide screen will take a very beefy projector.

That said, another option would be to go for the 11' wide screen and move the seating closer. My screen is 129" wide (1" short of 11') and my front row is at ~10.5 feet away, back row is at 17.5' with a bar behind that. Not sure my AE3000 could handle a much bigger screen but there is plenty of wow factor. Granted, my room is only about 13.5' wide...

+1(go for the 11') already thinking of moving my AE3000 forward from its 22' position.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 /forum/post/18154356

An Epson 8500 UB should light up a 14' wide screen just fine at one of its higher settings.

I think it'd be pushing it unless the room was a bat cave with a 1.2+ gain screen. And that assumes that the 14' wide screen is 2.39:1 (or so) and the 16:9 area is 143" diagonal. Bulb dimming with age might also be more noticeable and require more frequent replacements.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
The size/brightness thing really is just as subjective. I run an outdoor screen setup in the Summer that is about 23 feet wide. I use an Optoma 720p projector, which sits about 37 feet away from the screen. Never had any issues with brightness complaints. It is no where near the fL that we "expect" on our screens these days, but I'll take bigger over brighter every time. (Of course, some day having both would be great!) So this is just as much a personal preference issue as any...

·
Registered
799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/18155485

I think it'd be pushing it unless the room was a bat cave with a 1.2+ gain screen. And that assumes that the 14' wide screen is 2.39:1 (or so) and the 16:9 area is 143" diagonal. Bulb dimming with age might also be more noticeable and require more frequent replacements.

Its Dynamic mode can measure around 1800 lumens. A more accurate mode measures about 1500 lumens according to projectorcentral.com. This should be more than enough for a 14' wide screen.

There's also the LG Electronics CF181D that is supposed to have a well calibrated mode with 1200 lumens. http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG_C...or_reviews.htm

I really don't think you have to worry about the screen size.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's funny that you think 36-37 degrees is optimal for movie watching. Do you know this because you've measured it or because some guide like THX says so?

My personal preference is about 50 degrees. I sit 10' away from a 9' wide screen and it feels like I'm in the movie. I think most cinema developers try to keep the relevant images in the center of the screen at all times anyway. The sides are more of a background to make you think your environment has changed, in my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find myself in the "it's all subjective" and warrenP's camp here. I'm about to move from planning to construction phase, and have been running screen size and seating distance tests myself. I do have full light control, so that's a plus. In any case - I normally sit mid-theater when I hit the local megaplex. At home, an 11' wide screen from 11' back - looked fine from my first row, but kind of ho-hum from the back row. Trying a 13' wide screen from 14' (screen to eye) - feels better in the front row and looks good from the back row. And thanks to the riser calculator (and some perspective diagrams) - I can determine the proper height of the screen above the floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.