AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2-ways. (I don't see any top end speakers using a 4" or 3" inbtween their 6,7 or 8 and tweeter, don't see the advantage of doing so in the car)Dynaudio esotar vs new utopia be vs anything else you pick: (perhaps mb quart q series, diamond audio, image dynamics horns, somthing with a ribbon tweeter)...Alpine f1 status has won many awards, turns out, they're skanspeak revelators.

Bass will be more than amply covered via a few jl 13w7s.

I wonder what a tact unit would do in the sport utility?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The reason you see 3-ways in high end car audio is because car audio speaker systems cannot use large tweeters. Due to placement restrictions, tweeters for car use even when they are 1" in size have a small magnet structure. So it is nearly impossible to get the kind of smooth mid-range coverage down to 2-3Khz that is possible with a "large" home audio tweeter. Car tweeters are typically crossed over at 4 to 4.5KHz. This is one of the reasons why compression drivers that goes down to 800Hz were so popular at the high end. Meanwhile, placement restrictions of the 5.25 or 6.5" midbass driver means it will be fairly far off-axis towards the listener. So the natural "solution" is to have a midrange driver that can be better aimed to produce midrange bewteen 1.5Khz to 5Khz.

Personally, I think 3 way car speakers introduce more problems than they solve. Not only do you have to consider 3 different speakers for positioning and aiming, now you have an extra crossover point to worry about. Thus 3-ways are only a good idea for the kind of install backed up with serious cash, equipment, and time. In the end, I doubt the sound will be significantly better than a well done 2 way system.

Note that there have been installs where someone mounted a large home audio tweeter in a car setting with very good results. But the tweeter pod was HUGE.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Rainbow makes a Platinum and Reference line of 2-ways (~$7.5k for the ref line). Of course an intelligent builder would drop a lot of money into the sound proofing and tuning of the system (custom fiberglass kickpods for starters). Check out some of the "sound quality" car audio competitions and see what components they use. IASCA is the international governing body for SPL and SQ competitions... (they also happen to have a SQ forum)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in a few iasca shows, built my own fiberglass kicks too :). The rainbows are very highly regarded. I've digested the last 30 or so pages of elitecaraudio and diymobileaudio (best resource for analysis of components I've seen.)

The reviews I've read of the utopias (same components used in the JM labs grand utopia BE) is that they are the best components the magazines have ever reviewed. The tweeter is much smaller than the esotars, morel supremos, the darned ribbons are GIGANTIC in depth. Seems like everyone over there really loves the ribbons, and those that do has had focal utopias (not the BE s), dynaudio 3 ways (lots of those, not too many esotars).

I think I'll go esotars pointed at the opposite seat occupants head in kicks (with the mid), maybe I'll try the mids in the doors Giving the mids more room to breathe, and take advantage of some off axis attenuation to get the nearer mid to sound farther (same reason to point the tweeter at the passenger.) This way I won't have to turn down drivers side as much (making the passenger even more unhappy because they're already going to have the drivers side dealyed.)

Or I could go all on axis to the driver, but the the passenger will be most compromised. Having trouble finding winning competition vehichles to check out. I'm trying to do 1 thing, make the chime of the left channel on pink floyd dark side of the moon sacd on the time track, there's this one clock chiming that I've not heard as good as I did on the VR9's. I think it may have been the ribbons on them that did the trick.

argh. Esotar vs Ribbons is the question I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Every high end IASCA car that I've seen has some form of parametric EQ. The additional cost is not that much when compared to the component speakers / amps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.