AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've posted a few threads that are highly unlikely to take place lol.
So I decide to be frank, and ask something that will be happening in the near future. In the next year or so, i will be looking for a banging system in the living room.
I just ask what the best system for a decent sized living room, which is acoustically modified. 12 'x 20' or so.. I am huge on audio, I am a bit of a bass head and only listen to music in full. For example, in the car, subs equally balanced and music would always be loud so that instead of listening like most people, I will always feel the music if that makes any sense. iPod and Phone: Monster Earth, Wind, & Fire, Sony MDR-XB500, Beats studio. I had the beats for a bit before I got rid of them, I absolutely despised them, My best would be the Monsters. This is a topic for another forum sorry, but if you happen to know what a great headphone is, leave a comment, budget would be $500 max. One other thing that bothers me is the quality of sound on my iPod classic, its a 6th gen 80gb model. The soound is so bad, I know for a fact that my phone has a better sound processor in it... that just defeats the purpose of an iPod... What is a solution to that? Strap an amp on the back of my iPod?? As for the living room setup, I was hinting to how I enjoy music, so I was going to say that on my iPod & phone I usually listen about 80% to 100% volume.
Back to the setup, I look forward to the recommendations. Also, I am not a fan of Bose, too mainstream and overpriced. As for Harman Kardan, I have nothing against them, its just that I feel there are better speakers out there. I feel the same for Martin Logan, I sampled them at a local best buy, and the sound wasn't completely there for me, it was a two tower setup with a 10" or 12" sub. Didn't really come up to my expectations, a little bit too weak, and sound was not complete.
Once again, looking for a strong, powerful, complete system. I was thinking some things up... Do not laugh at me lol,
a basic surround, with 4 towers in each corner, in addition, 2 subwoofers, maybe 4. Also, a center, and 4 bookshelfs.
You see what I mean? This is most likely way out of budget but is possible, im sure, what are your thoughts on it?
So, let me know what I should be looking into for next summer.
Budget: $10K
For now however, what is something great I can put together for around $2000? I could definitely just go buy a surround system, but that is something I will never do.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
$10k is a very healthy budget. It seems you like dynamics, so I might look at the new Reaction stuff if I were you. Very high dynamic range which will get real loud and remain crystal clear under extremes, so no compression and no distortion.

For $2k, you might look at an Hsu package or an Infinity Primus speaker setup with a Hsu VTF2, VTF3 or Rythmik LV12r subwoofer. If WAF is not in play, you might look at the Behringer Eurolive which promises enormous loudness levels for a low price. They have received a lot of praise recently in this thread.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree that for high SPL at a budget there is nothing quite like pro PA speakers and many of them have high sensitivity so you won't need more power than the average AVR can supply. There is a "sticky" post that lists many of these speakers - check out the spreadsheet as it will list the max SPL and how much power will be required to reach that level:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ence-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers.html

Most of these speakers are too "bright" for my taste but I always get envy when I see how loud they can play - check out JBL, Electovoice, Berhringer, etc. for a more refined sound check out JTR speakers.

Then all you need is some really good subs that can rattle your teeth - I would recommend SVS Ultras:

SVS Dual PB12-Plus 800 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Ported Subwoofer with Variable Tuning - pair - $2650

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
$10k is a very healthy budget. It seems you like dynamics, so I might look at the new Reaction stuff if I were you. Very high dynamic range which will get real loud and remain crystal clear under extremes, so no compression and no distortion.

For $2k, you might look at an Hsu package or an Infinity Primus speaker setup with a Hsu VTF2, VTF3 or Rythmik LV12r subwoofer. If WAF is not in play, you might look at the Behringer Eurolive which promises enormous loudness levels for a low price. They have received a lot of praise recently in this thread.

Man I have to tell you that so far I'm extremely impressed with Reaction Audio's new CX-15T tower speakers! Very nice especially for the money!

Audio equipment Loudspeaker Room Electronic device Technology
Audio equipment Loudspeaker Standing Electronics Subwoofer

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Reaction Audio CX-15T better than JTR 212 and SEOS 1099 speakers?

Well kind of hard to give an answer to that, I only own the 228HT's and I don't have any 1099's in my theater at the moment. But there's going to be a comparison this weekend at my place and 1099's will be on hand.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Check out a pair of used LaScalas.... with plans to mate them with a horn subwoofer. Large boxes but dynamics out the wazoo!

·
Registered
32,065 Posts
Hi guys,
I've posted a few threads that are highly unlikely to take place lol.
So I decide to be frank, and ask something that will be happening in the near future. In the next year or so, i will be looking for a banging system in the living room.
I just ask what the best system for a decent sized living room, which is acoustically modified. 12 'x 20' or so.. I am huge on audio, I am a bit of a bass head and only listen to music in full. For example, in the car, subs equally balanced and music would always be loud so that instead of listening like most people, I will always feel the music if that makes any sense. iPod and Phone: Monster Earth, Wind, & Fire, Sony MDR-XB500, Beats studio. I had the beats for a bit before I got rid of them, I absolutely despised them, My best would be the Monsters. This is a topic for another forum sorry, but if you happen to know what a great headphone is, leave a comment, budget would be $500 max. One other thing that bothers me is the quality of sound on my iPod classic, its a 6th gen 80gb model. The soound is so bad, I know for a fact that my phone has a better sound processor in it... that just defeats the purpose of an iPod... What is a solution to that? Strap an amp on the back of my iPod?? As for the living room setup, I was hinting to how I enjoy music, so I was going to say that on my iPod & phone I usually listen about 80% to 100% volume.
Back to the setup, I look forward to the recommendations. Also, I am not a fan of Bose, too mainstream and overpriced. As for Harman Kardan, I have nothing against them, its just that I feel there are better speakers out there. I feel the same for Martin Logan, I sampled them at a local best buy, and the sound wasn't completely there for me, it was a two tower setup with a 10" or 12" sub. Didn't really come up to my expectations, a little bit too weak, and sound was not complete.
Once again, looking for a strong, powerful, complete system. I was thinking some things up... Do not laugh at me lol,
a basic surround, with 4 towers in each corner, in addition, 2 subwoofers, maybe 4. Also, a center, and 4 bookshelfs.
You see what I mean? This is most likely way out of budget but is possible, im sure, what are your thoughts on it?
So, let me know what I should be looking into for next summer.
Budget: $10K
For now however, what is something great I can put together for around $2000? I could definitely just go buy a surround system, but that is something I will never do.

Thanks in advance!
Since this is a living room, I assume you need/want something that looks nice also?
Martin Logan 60XT: http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/towers.php
RBH SX-6300: https://rbhsound.com/sx6300r.php

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had the beats for a bit before I got rid of them, I absolutely despised them, My best would be the Monsters. This is a topic for another forum sorry, but if you happen to know what a great headphone is, leave a comment, budget would be $500 max. One other thing that bothers me is the quality of sound on my iPod classic, its a 6th gen 80gb model. The soound is so bad, I know for a fact that my phone has a better sound processor in it... that just defeats the purpose of an iPod... What is a solution to that? Strap an amp on the back of my iPod??
I've listened to MP3 music on an iPod Classic and didn't notice that it was any worse that other players - but I always notice how bad MP3 compression sounds - especially on headphones.

I now have a portable music player that can drive low impedance / high power headphones and can play lossless FLAC files - they sound MUCH better. Mine is a FIIO X5 - there are better players, but it was reasonably priced. I like my AKG headphones but there are a lot of other great headphones.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What resolution are you using for your music encodes when listening on your iPod classic. Lower resolution encodes will sound horrible. I would suggest encoding your songs at 320kbps or FLAC or Apple Lossless to get the way better sound from your headphones. If your using 128kbps or lower than yeah your gonna notice a big decrease in sound quality.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
If you still want to stay portable with the ipod, a great solution is the dragonfly DAC. Improve the SQ first while still using the portable nature of the device, then worry about more power only at home with a proper dock system or connected to a decent receiver or preamp/amp combo. The Dragonfly will serve your needs for both on-the-go and at home. They were the first at this design, now since copied by a fair amount of competitors, but the darn thing just works very well. Ipods are really not music devices for serious listening but this is about as good as you can get without spending a lot mo' money. Don't buy the $99 V.1 The new V.2 is $149 out the door. V.1 used to be $249 but everyone has been drastic discounting the old stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts