AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a router in the basement where his computer is. He wants to get a roku or some sort of device which can stream Netflix in his upstairs bedroom 2 floors up. I am assuming the wireless signal will not be strong enough from the basement to accomplish this. What is his best option to accomplish this? Wifi extender on the second floor? Try to move the router to the second floor for full coverage and connect the downstairs computer and upstairs Roku by wifi adapter? Moca bridge? Powerline adapter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
First have you tested the signal, depending on the router it may be able to do this, but if your friend has the typical cheaper entry level router, their best bet would be an extender if they do not want to move the router. If I am understanding correctly there is a floor in between the computer and the T.V. location, why not try putting the router on that floor? I would bet it would work then.

Also if he is like me, I like wired connections, is less of a hassle for a connection and of course security for some, running cat5/6 is really not to difficult, but most people do not want to do all the work involved with it on a house that is already finished.

You could also just buy another router and hook it up to the current router and use it as an AP (access point).

Just some choices I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Hope this helps some

Stu

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuie675  /t/1414832/best-setup-for-streaming-netflix-to-upstairs-bedroom#post_22117173

First have you tested the signal, depending on the router it may be able to do this, but if your friend has the typical cheaper entry level router, their best bet would be an extender if they do not want to move the router. If I am understanding correctly there is a floor in between the computer and the T.V. location, why not try putting the router on that floor? I would bet it would work then.

Also if he is like me, I like wired connections, is less of a hassle for a connection and of course security for some, running cat5/6 is really not to difficult, but most people do not want to do all the work involved with it on a house that is already finished.

You could also just buy another router and hook it up to the current router and use it as an AP (access point).

Just some choices I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Hope this helps some

Stu
He just proposed the idea to me yesterday so no I have not tested signal strength. Yes there is currently a floor between the router and the media device requiring internet access. The reason I am thinking outside of wifi is I have heard it doesn't work well for many people when streaming HD. I am not certain which router he has right now but he is not a very technical person so it could be a crap one or it could be an overkill one someone upsold him. I will obviously attempt to move the router to the main level of the house first but anticipating that will not work well I was trying to have a plan B in mind.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I bought a WDTV2 for my parents, and they've got ATT Uverse internet. The router / RG box provided by ATT isn't gigabit and is only G rated, and for some reason or another they installed it in one of the bedrooms. This is a one floor house built in 2001. Their HT room is located in the living room, and the AVR is located about 50 feet away from the router / RG box.

I installed the WDTV2, and tested the wireless connection. To my surprised it played Netflix without any issues. I also tested VUDU HDX content, and it played at the highest resolution. I was very surprised.

Like someone else suggested, I would test the wireless connection first, and see how that works out. You also have to remember if there are other devices using the wireless connection, it will interfere and probably cause your video to be downgraded. I run everything hardwired with Cat6 cable at my house.

The only things that are wireless are the laptop, smartphone and tables. A good place to buy cables would be monoprice.com! Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1414832/best-setup-for-streaming-netflix-to-upstairs-bedroom#post_22118099

I bought a WDTV2 for my parents, and they've got ATT Uverse internet. The router / RG box provided by ATT isn't gigabit and is only G rated, and for some reason or another they installed it in one of the bedrooms. This is a one floor house built in 2001. Their HT room is located in the living room, and the AVR is located about 50 feet away from the router / RG box.

I installed the WDTV2, and tested the wireless connection. To my surprised it played Netflix without any issues. I also tested VUDU HDX content, and it played at the highest resolution. I was very surprised.

Like someone else suggested, I would test the wireless connection first, and see how that works out. You also have to remember if there are other devices using the wireless connection, it will interfere and probably cause your video to be downgraded. I run everything hardwired with Cat6 cable at my house.

The only things that are wireless are the laptop, smartphone and tables. A good place to buy cables would be monoprice.com! Good luck.
The only thing that would be using the wireless would be the desktop in the basement and the xbox live in the living room. I could see xbox and netflix not playing nice at the same time. I will check out what hardware he has and take it from there. I am sure he doesn't currently have wireless N.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Powerlifting would be the most efficient method IF you couldn't relocate the wireless router to the main floor......which is what I would do first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts