AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a new TV coming, I only have 4" of clearance in my cabinet for a center channel speaker. My previous center is a KEF Reference Series, but is 2.5" too tall. My L-R are KEF Uni-Qs and surrounds are little wall mounted Polks.

I saw one positive review for Yamaha ns-c310, which at least passes my strict height requirement. I know I will no longer have matching drivers, so I'm looking for a good sounding center that will physically (and hopefully acoustically) fit.

Any suggestions very welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchr /forum/post/20835044

I saw one positive review for Yamaha ns-c310, which at least passes my strict height requirement.

I have the Yammy in my living room system. The off-axis response is HORRIBLE. If i can't have the center seat, i change rooms instead. Too bad you had to loose the UniQ as the concentric driver is quite good for the $$$.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The Infinity TSS 3-In-1 [Dimensions (H x W x D) 4-1/8" x 40-1/8" x 4-3/8"], 'discontinued but still available?' is [just] three passive speaker arrays in one box, and you could choose to use only the center (with a different L+R pair). I gave some thought to doing the same thing several years ago . . . but went in a different direction.

The bad news is that you need to crossover the sound quite high (somewhere above 120Hz).

[And DefTech used to sell the Mythos Solo and Mythos Solo XL with 'similar' characteristics.]

·
Registered
30,817 Posts
Does anyone really think that all these ad hoc suggestions have even a tiny chance of tonally matching the main speakers? My only suggestions here are (1) phantom center and (2) move the display to make more room.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20837601

Does anyone really think that all these ad hoc suggestions have even a tiny chance of tonally matching the main speakers?

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20837601

My only suggestions here are (1) phantom center and (2) move the display to make more room.

Good suggestions

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal rubinson /forum/post/20837601

does anyone really think that all these ad hoc suggestions have even a tiny chance of tonally matching the main speakers? My only suggestions here are (1) phantom center and (2) move the display to make more room.

+1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem but have a tiny bit more clearance (4 1/2").

Polk makes 3 speakers, the TL1, TL2, and TL3 that all fit the bill. They range from under $100 for the 1, to just under $200 for the 3. (amazon.com)

I went with the TL3. While you do give up a bit from your standard 5 1/2" speakers (btw, the TL3 has 3 1/4" dual woofers and a 3/4" silk domed tweeter), considering the centre is strictly for dialogue, the TL3 performs REALLY well, and the most important thing is it doesn't block my tv. I highly recommend this option.

Worth a listen, definitively.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.