AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife gave the go ahead for a 50" plasma with a requirement that she'd like it to be silver (no black at all around the screen i.e. Sony, Panny). I'm currently leaning toward the NEC 50XR4. Any other thoughts for to meet the silver requirement, in that same price range or general thoughts on NEC 50's?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
767 Posts
Get the panny 50 7uy and paint it silver. :)

· Registered
904 Posts
Fujitsu P50...

· Registered
904 Posts
Fuji doesn't allow online dealers and that really stinks. Most B&M stores want full retail for the panel. There is a rebate however.

· Registered
607 Posts
Moreover the 50XS955 has a black interior bezel so it might not meet with the wife's approval.

Even if you don't use the speakers and cable card its a good value (and MUCH cheaper than a fuj P50).

overtime

· Registered
30,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by overtime
Moreover the 50XS955 has a black interior bezel so it might not meet with the wife's approval.

Even if you don't use the speakers and cable card its a good value (and MUCH cheaper than a fuj P50).

overtime
If you don't use them, they are in the way.

Kal

· Registered
607 Posts
In the way of what?

By that reasoning lots of things on all TVs are in the way. Do you rule them all out? "Sorry...err...that tv has 1 set of composite inputs...no thanks". ;)

overtime

· Registered
30,880 Posts
We wanted the 50" Sony XBR when we saw the larger one without the speakers and thought it was a knockout. However, you cannot remove the speakers from the 50" and those vestigial appendages make the unit much, much larger. As for the connection box, it is simply unnecessary but can be put away in the rack. I went with the Fujitsu.

Kal

· Registered
607 Posts
Well I'd certainly go with the 55" Fuji as well if price wasn't a concern...

My response was to the original poster's complaint about the 50" Sony...he didn't want to pay for speakers or tuner...not that they were "in the way". If he doesn't want to pay for the small additive costs of the speakers and tuner he probably isn't going to spring for a 55" Fuji.

overtime

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by overtime
Well I'd certainly go with the 55" Fuji as well if price wasn't a concern...

My response was to the original poster's complaint about the 50" Sony...he didn't want to pay for speakers or tuner...not that they were "in the way". If he doesn't want to pay for the small additive costs of the speakers and tuner he probably isn't going to spring for a 55" Fuji.

overtime
Ya got that right :D Fuji would be nice

Trying to keep the TV under $6k

No NEC Comments?

· Premium Member
397 Posts
i am intereste din the NEC also from my searches and PM's of people here who have last year NEC, they love it, so dont do too much research and buy one. They are silver, have a 3 year warranty, the best color reproduction, 2nd best processor maybe behind fujitsu, and blacks 2nd to panny. Overall though i have heard it is a great plasma and if you look at forum sponsors prices just above 5000. go for it and dont look back and youll be happy

-rob

· Registered
7,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iADD24x7
Ya got that right :D Fuji would be nice

Trying to keep the TV under $6k
If whatever Plasma Brand you like most has black/dark gray bezel, a solution would be using a Silver Slip-on Bezel from Digital Factory. The prices are a bit high though.

Standard metal bezel powder coated in a stock color is about $375 (MSRP).

A stainless steel bezel $675 (MSRP).

They also have wood bezels so it should be cheaper (?!?).

http://www.digitalfactory.com/galler...varselected=11

· Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iADD24x7
The wife gave the go ahead for a 50" plasma with a requirement that she'd like it to be silver (no black at all around the screen i.e. Sony, Panny). I'm currently leaning toward the NEC 50XR4. Any other thoughts for to meet the silver requirement, in that same price range or general thoughts on NEC 50's?

Thanks in advance!
This may be of help for some other opinions http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=9554

It would seem to be the same model in Aust as the US !

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I'd follow up.....

I ended up purchasing the KDE-50XS955 after all. SD Picture looked better that the NEC (even though it's NEC glass). WAF was high. HDMI. Pretty much the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the info...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.