AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I searched for a thread on slim articulating mounts but could not find one. I'm looking for an ultra slim articulating TV wall mount for an 85" Samsungs (121lbs). Has anyone had experience with the inexpensive monoprice mounts? I won't be using the articulation, only for service and to mount the TV in tight niches. Once the TV is mounted in place it will stay put, so I'm hoping I can use an inexpensive mount to do the job. The only reason it has to articulate is to pull it out of the very tight TV niche if I need access to the rear.

Will these mono price 12280's do the job? If not, any suggestions?

The site won't allow me to post a link or image, so you would have to search for Monoprice 12280

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
This one?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082821&p_id=12280&seq=1&format=2

I've never mounted a TV that large, but I have used several Monoprice mounts over the years. They seem to be nice, every bit as nice as the more expensive ones out there.

That one says it is rated for 176 lbs. I do have the baby brother of that one for a bedroom TV, and the articulation and such works fairly well. Like you, I don't have it out much, more for access. Which is more important on your 85" compared to the 46" I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Second thought, how tight is your niche? My Monoprice one is a nice mount, but it doesn't pull out perfectly parallel to the wall and certainly could hit a tight side wall.

I don't know how to explain it exactly, and it is probably an issue with any articulating mount.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second thought, how tight is your niche? My Monoprice one is a nice mount, but it doesn't pull out perfectly parallel to the wall and certainly could hit a tight side wall.

I don't know how to explain it exactly, and it is probably an issue with any articulating mount.
Hey Nick, thanks for the info. The niche is actually very tight, it's 5.5" deep and I'll only have 1.5" of clearance around the border of the TV. The TV will be almost flush with drywall, and a 1.5" thin frame around the TV.

That's a good point you brought up, so it does not pull straight out then?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one?

I've never mounted a TV that large, but I have used several Monoprice mounts over the years. They seem to be nice, every bit as nice as the more expensive ones out there.

That one says it is rated for 176 lbs. I do have the baby brother of that one for a bedroom TV, and the articulation and such works fairly well. Like you, I don't have it out much, more for access. Which is more important on your 85" compared to the 46" I'm talking about.
Yes, this is the one. It appears to pull straight out, but maybe not?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I just got concerned that you had like 1/2" around and the niche was really deep.

It pulls straight out, but not with much precision. Almost like the right side comes out, then the left. Pulls out kinda jerky? It will be straight, but if that box was deep and tight, I'd be afraid it'd hit at times.

I think it's just the nature of the beast, it's hard to make something that would stay in place, yet allow 150 lbs to slide out perfectly smooth.

I would wholeheartedly buy another Monoprice mount given the chance. I plan to purchase on in the next month or two, actually :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good, the niche backing will be heavily enforced with framing so the mount should not have any play in it once mounted. I think I might try one out, they are only $55 and I've heard they do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts