AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a better heatsink fan combo for my comp, as I currently have a Thermaltake Volcano 9, which while fairly effective at cooling, is horrendously noisy. Even using its smart fan technology, it will spin up to full 4600 rpm within 5 minutes and sit there.

Heatsink/fan combos I'm looking at are the Zalmon 6000, Zalmon 7000, Thermalright SLK800 and any others that might be suggested...

I'm currently running:

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Fudin ATXAL 962 (this is the problem with Zalmon 7000, as the PSU is about 1/2 cm too close for use...
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just installed a SLK800a with a Panaflo 80mm at 7v - very, very quiet and cool. SVC had the slk800 for $28, the panaflo was $6. Recieved it 2 days after I ordered:)

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm using the Zalman 6000 CU on an XP 2500. It offers a fan speed controller. It is nearly silent at the lowest level. This silent mode requires good case airflow when used with a Barton. Overall I would recommend it because of the low noise and fan speed control.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have the Zalman 7000 AlCu fan, and it works very well for my Barton 2500+ (oc'd to 3200+). My chip stays very cool, and the fan is fairly quiet even at the highest setting.

I haven't tried lower RPM setting as I want the extra cooling, and my case is pretty silent as it is.

Antec Sonata 380W case

Barton 2500+ (@ 3200+)

ATI Radeon 9500 (with fanless Zalman cooler)

ABIT NF7-S MB

Ozy

I should note that I had to hacksaw about 1/2" off of one of the clips to clear the capacitors on one side of the processor.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's very hard to determine "best". You have quite a few constraints, noise being one of them, which is in direct opposition to performance. What you want is a heatsink that will do well with low-flow (and quiet) fans.

There are all good suggestions, so I'll just throw another out there:
http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...ticle&sid=1205

It looks big, but the best part is that the reviewer just happened to use the same motherboard that you have, so you know it'll fit, no matter how huge it looks. Just add a 80mm or 92mm fan to taste and you're done. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I third (or fourth) the Zalman fan/heatsink combo - I don't plan on ever shopping around for anymore since discovering these heatsinks.

I'm running Asus A7N8X w/ Barton 2500, and am achieving low 50s (celsius) while performing intensive CPU activities (e.g., gaming). And, I think I've got the fan over the CPU running at the lowest setting with the controller.

Keep in mind AMD is rated to run at 80+ celsius. I originally had a Vantec, and it was too loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So essentially the general vibe is that the Zalmans will do the job, and being readily available, I suppose I'll go with those...

Now I cannot use the 7000 (which I would prefer simply because of the better cooling ability) with my Fudin Case. Is the Sonata really that much better of case?

·
Banned
539 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Zalman people are talking about uses the mounting holes in the mainboard. It doesn't use the clips on the CPU socket. This means the mainboard has to come out of the case before you can mount the fan. So replacing your current fan on a working computer is going to be some work.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
For my P4 1.6A OC’ed to 2.1 I use a Zalmann CNPS6500-Cu heatsink. I replaced the fan that came with it with 119mm RPM reduced Papst fan – it’s inaudible… at temps below 50C

___

Axel

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
If I'm not mistaken, the Zalman people are talking about uses the mounting holes in the mainboard. It doesn't use the clips on the CPU socket. This means the mainboard has to come out of the case before you can mount the fan. So replacing your current fan on a working computer is going to be some work.

AFAIK most of the Zalman CPU heatsinks come in 2 flavors "A" for mobo with mounting holes and "B" for clip-ons (like the P4 stock heatsink/fan combos).

_____

Axel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although the zalman products tend to be quiet, I've had poor experiences with both thier power supplies and cpu heatsinks. The psu burned out just after the 1 year warranty expired, and the cpu cooler has recently started to buzz extremely loudly. My guess is that a bearing is going, and I'll have to replace the fan soon. Overall, the Zalman products tend to be more expensive than their peers, and, at least in my experience, the quality just isn't there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't had mine for more than a year, so I can't comment on the longevity of them, but I do run Zalman AlCu units in two systems - my gaming and HTPC systems - and a Zalman power supply in my HTPC. I've been very happy with the performance of them. The only noise from my HTPC is the hard drive.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Buttons
So essentially the general vibe is that the Zalmans will do the job, and being readily available, I suppose I'll go with those...

Now I cannot use the 7000 (which I would prefer simply because of the better cooling ability) with my Fudin Case. Is the Sonata really that much better of case?
I have no experience with the Fudin, but I have the Sonata. I think it looks really nice, though it's not perferctly silent (it's much better than my fileserver though!). There are plenty of reviews on the web, most are very positive (a Google search will find tens if not hundreds).

Ozy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.