AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We recently installed a Runco LS-1 projector into our home theater. Our room measures 11 1/2 ft across by 15 ft long. The projector is mounted on the ceiling in front of the back wall.The projector creates an amazing image but also produces a distracting amount of noise. We looked at moving the projector into the room behind the movie room back wall but unfortunately a main water pipe runs inside the wall directly where the projector would need to be placed. I have read through many posts on AVS forum and found them very helpful as I am a complete novice when it comes to projectors. I would love suggestions for resolving the noise issue. Is this typical of any projector? I have read that the Runco LS-1 is a noisy projector. Is a hush box a good solution?  

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
The first thing I would do is make sure the bulb is set to low or eco mode. The image will be dimmer, but quieter. Are you going to want to look at a big, ugly hush box? If you do build one, it needs plenty of ventilation.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Runco LS-1 has only Eco (low) lamp mode iirc. Professional and user reviews about Runco/Planar projectors (RS-5/PD8150) are very, very conflicting with each other regarding operating noise. Some praise it for its quiet operation, others point out to rather noisy operation... I will write back when my Planar PD8150 arrives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you for the tip to turn the bulb to low or eco mode. I will try that. I'm not crazy about the idea of a big box in the room, however, the noise is so loud that it disrupts the viewing experience so much that we are considering returning the projector. However, I don't know if a replacement projector will be just as noisy. I am willing to give on the aescetic if it fixes the noise problem. Would the ventilation need to flow into another room in order for it to eliminate the noise? 

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Normally, projector noise is only a problem when the bulb is set to high power mode. If it's on low and it's still too loud for you, I would return it. Have you looked into the JVC projectors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have read a lot about them. Is it possible to know how loud the JCV will be in our theater room? Does it make sense to try to listen to it in a retail location? Another thing a friend pointed out is that our ceilings are low so the projector is mounted on the ceiling but it is a low mount due to the height of the ceiling. Our ceiling measures just under 8 ft. 

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Since you can't open up the wall, what with the plumbing behind it, why not just construct a soffit along the upper corner of the wall/ceiling? Put a concealed door in there, some camouflaged ventilation and voila! -- silent projector.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I have the planar 8150 a foot and a half behind my chair on eco and can not hear it. It makes more noise on high but still not as bad as you are saying the LS1 is.

The LS1 has both horizontal and vertical lens shift so if you can place it in the back room next to the pipe (off center) you should be able to shift the image over with no problem, unless it must be moved more than a few feet to clear the pipes. Check the manual to see how much vertical lens shift it has and remember that it will be reduced when using horizontal shift.

I would take the projector down off the mount, place it on a temporary support platform at the spot it would if you open the wall next to the pipe and try and set it up to fill the screen properly.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.