Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a region-free DVD player that could play PAL DVD's on my NTSC television set. I'm actually shopping for two such DVD players, one for my father who has just bought himself a new Sony HDTV set and has asked me to do his homework for him :), and one for myself who still has an old RCA analog set. I've searched the forum archives to try and find the best solutions for both our needs, but I'm afraid I still have a few questions for the knowledgeable members of the forum. :)

First, is there a solution that will give a "perfect" PAL-to-NTSC conversion? A conversion that would give the same image quality as if I was watching the DVD on a PAL tv set? Or is there always a compromise? I don't think I would mind paying a little more (as long as it's not exorbitant) for better quality.

Is an external converter like the one at 220-electronics.com/comworld.htm better than a code-free player that does the conversion with the mediamatics chip, or is there no benefit to such converters now with the mediamatics chip? The web site seems to say that this converter is as good as others costing much more, but I don't know how much I can trust that.

As for standalone DVD players that do PAL-to-NTSC conversion, here are the interesting models that I've found in my searches of the forum archives. I'd appreciate any opinions that anyone might have, and also please let me know if I've forgotten any interesting models. Please note that all I want to do is play DVD's, I have zero interest in other features like karaoke, macrovision disabling, etc.:

- Malata DVP-520S: has x,y scaling, but apparently is not quite as good as their previous model. Also, 220-electronics.com have a warning on their web site to the effect that the Malata is of "inferior quality and design" and has "poor PAL-to-NTSC conversion", even though they do sell it.

- Jaton PSD7611K: also has x,y scaling (and apparently does it better than the Malata from a review that I read), plus tons of other video adjustment features. Would seem better than the Malata on the features alone, but I've read one message on the forum that said that it had awful build quality, although I'm not too sure what the poster meant. For what it's worth, I don't intend to throw it on the walls of my apartment. :) As long as it plays the DVD's that I give it and plays them well...

- JVC XV-SA602SL: has hardware progressive scan and seems to be very well recommended. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have x,y scaling, which seems to be important in certain cases of PAL-to-NTSC conversion. Also, might perhaps be less prone to rejecting some DVD titles than other models?

- Momitsu DVD-V880: Very interesting. Superb picture quality due to upscaling, which I guess my father would benefit from with his new HDTV set. Not sure I have understood this completely though, is this something I could also benefit from with my plain old RCA set? Unfortunately it has no x,y scaling which is a bummer, and is apparently finicky with some of its owners and doesn't want to play all of their DVD's. ;)

I think that's about it, but as I said please let me know if I forgot any important models. I admit I'm a little confused as to what is the best solution to play those PAL DVD's, and I'll greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nadeama
First, is there a solution that will give a "perfect" PAL-to-NTSC conversion? A conversion that would give the same image quality as if I was watching the DVD on a PAL tv set?
Well, PAL TVs have higher resolution than NTSC TVs, so no. You have to downconvert the PAL image to NTSC resolution. That said, with a good player you will get the equivalent of good NTSC playback and you shouldn't notice much difference between the two formats.

One thing to be wary of are cheap region-free players that drop too many scan lines in the conversion of PAL to NTSC and leave the picture looking squished.

I haven't been keeping up with the current crop of models, but the old Malata 996 (which I have), its successor the Malata 520, and the JVC SA-502/602 used to be best at PAL-to-NTSC conversion. I've heard some good things about the Philips 963SA, but it apparently has poor build quality and flaky playback issues.

Quote:
Is an external converter like the one at 220-electronics.com/comworld.htm better than a code-free player that does the conversion with the mediamatics chip, or is there no benefit to such converters now with the mediamatics chip?
Standalone convertor boxes traditionally degrade the picture quality and are not recommended.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nadeama

- JVC XV-SA602SL: has hardware progressive scan and seems to be very well recommended. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have x,y scaling, which seems to be important in certain cases of PAL-to-NTSC conversion. Also, might perhaps be less prone to rejecting some DVD titles than other models?

[/b]
I have the XV-SA602SL and have never really encountered the need for x,y scaling. It plays anamorphic pal perfectly. Plus, it is a DVD-Audio player to boot. the only downside (ironically) is for NTSC discs. it is a flag reading player and so on improperly flagged discs will comb (which is most hk movies)

vincent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.