AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painted my wall for my projector.

Epson 6100 with 8ft throw, light controlled.

At first I noticed the roughness of the wall and thought nothing of it. Went to paint with some Misty Evening. Went alright. Fired up the PJ. GF didn't notice the roughness of the wall but my friend and I noticed it. Almost like little cracks or wrinkles in the picture.

What's the easiest/cheapest way to fix the wall?

Spackle the screen area and sand and repaint screen?

Put some kind of sheet over it?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
What size is the screen?

8ft throw means your diagonal range is 39" - 82". You can get a screen up to 98" out of a 4'x8' sheet of material. Therefore you would have plenty of area to paint the 82" screen and have a border area to screw the sheet to the wall. Then dress it out with a border that covers the screws.

At Home Depot and probably Lowes you can buy 4'x8' sheets of hardboard that have a white coating on one side. This is the easiest way to get a smooth substrate to paint on.

What color are the walls & ceiling?

Do you ever want to have some ambient light on?

The reason I am asking is that with such a small screen you could go much darker gray. At 82" the projector calculator at Projector Central shows 45fl. You could easily drive a matte N7 shade of screen.

With a 1080p projector you will want to have a very smooth finish. Unless you are able to spray paint the screen I would suggest you use the two roller method demonstrated here:

To minimize the number of coats of paint I would suggest you use the Behr ULTRA Exterior Flat #4850. I can provide a tint once you describe your room conditions. Behr has introduced an ULTRA Interior Flat Enamel if you prefer not to use an exterior paint. These paints are both self priming so you would only need to apply three coats using the thinned paint / two roller method.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/17013603

What size is the screen?

8ft throw means your diagonal range is 39" - 82". You can get a screen up to 98" out of a 4'x8' sheet of material. Therefore you would have plenty of area to paint the 82" screen and have a border area to screw the sheet to the wall. Then dress it out with a border that covers the screws.

At Home Depot and probably Lowes you can buy 4'x8' sheets of hardboard that have a white coating on one side. This is the easiest way to get a smooth substrate to paint on.

What color are the walls & ceiling?

Do you ever want to have some ambient light on?

The reason I am asking is that with such a small screen you could go much darker gray. At 82" the projector calculator at Projector Central shows 45fl. You could easily drive a matte N7 shade of screen.

With a 1080p projector you will want to have a very smooth finish. Unless you are able to spray paint the screen I would suggest you use the two roller method demonstrated here:

To minimize the number of coats of paint I would suggest you use the Behr ULTRA Exterior Flat #4850. I can provide a tint once you describe your room conditions. Behr has introduced an ULTRA Interior Flat Enamel if you prefer not to use an exterior paint. These paints are both self priming so you would only need to apply three coats using the thinned paint / two roller method.

Wow thanks for the great reply!

My room is lightly lit with a fish tank off to the opposite corner of the screen. Other than that there isn't usually any lights on in my apartment when I'm on the screen.

I just painted the wall Misty Evening. The ceiling is white. Hardwood floor with a black rug. My furniture is all black and red.

Oh and the screen is about 75" diag.

I tried looking at my local HD and all I could find were hard planks of wood? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/17013768

I tried looking at my local HD and all I could find were hard planks of wood? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

At the bottom of the table in your link to Home Depot, you will see hardboard/pegboard. The 1/8" or 1/4 " sheets of hardboard will be in the same area with all the other sheet materials.

If you use the 1/8" material and frame it you could hang it on the wall like a large picture. Another thing you can do is paint the screen laying flat on a table. Then gravity will help to flatten out the paint layer.

Misty Evening is a nice blue gray wall color. You could go with a darker neutral gray due to the smaller screen size and then the screen will be even more ambient light tolerant. If you are happy with the Misty Evening then stick with it. A darker gray will also give you deeper blacks.

Be sure to do a contrast & brightness calibration when using any shade of gray for a screen. If you change the shade of gray you will need to recalibrate the contrast & brightness. Paint take at least a week to fully cure. During that time the color can change slightly. Therefore recalibrate after a week when using a painted screen.

You can find an easy to use calibration tool call the THX Optimizer on the some DVDs. I know it is on the terminator II, Nemo, and Cars DVDs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is exactly what I did on my paneled wall, worked out fine, but I soon wanted a larger screen. So BOC streched and stapled to the wall with the staples covered by a flat black border was my answer.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eteller /forum/post/17014162

This is exactly what I did on my paneled wall, worked out fine, but I soon wanted a larger screen. So BOC streched and stapled to the wall with the staples covered by a flat black border was my answer.

That is a good solution too. If you live in an apartment you may not want to staple the Blackout Cloth (BOC) to the wall. Again you can make a simple wooden frame and stretch the BOC over that. Then just hang it on the wall like a huge picture. You can also paint BOC to get a good gray screen for ambient light tolerance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/17014102

At the bottom of the table in your link to Home Depot, you will see hardboard/pegboard. The 1/8" or 1/4 " sheets of hardboard will be in the same area with all the other sheet materials.

If you use the 1/8" material and frame it you could hang it on the wall like a large picture. Another thing you can do is paint the screen laying flat on a table. Then gravity will help to flatten out the paint layer.

Misty Evening is a nice blue gray wall color. You could go with a darker neutral gray due to the smaller screen size and then the screen will be even more ambient light tolerant. If you are happy with the Misty Evening then stick with it. A darker gray will also give you deeper blacks.

Be sure to do a contrast & brightness calibration when using any shade of gray for a screen. If you change the shade of gray you will need to recalibrate the contrast & brightness. Paint take at least a week to fully cure. During that time the color can change slightly. Therefore recalibrate after a week when using a painted screen.

You can find an easy to use calibration tool call the THX Optimizer on the some DVDs. I know it is on the terminator II, Nemo, and Cars DVDs.

Hi Tiddler,

Were you able to give me a good paint color for this project? I am thinking about going to Home Depot this weekend to pick up a large piece of board.

thanks

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWxo3 /forum/post/17019782

Hi Tiddler,

Were you able to give me a good paint color for this project? I am thinking about going to Home Depot this weekend to pick up a large piece of board.

thanks

What is your impression of the Misty Evening? Do you find the image washed out at all or are the black nice and dark?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts