AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of converting the finished half of my basement into a multi-purpose room. The house has a fairly modest footprint and the finished area of the basement is a scant 12x21ft.

As great as it would be to completely dedicate the space to serve as just a media room, I'm trying to keep the space more flexible so that we can use it as an exercise space and an open play space for my daughter. This strongly rules out having fixed theater/riser style seating that would chew up all the room except for a narrow aisle on each side of the seating.

In light of that... I'm on a quest to find a decent compromise between comfort and mobility. The most mobile solution would be terribly uncomfortable (like folding chairs) and the least mobile solution would be really comfortable (two banks of $$$$ leather seating).

I'd love to find something in between the two that would be easy enough to move out of the way for exercising and activities in the basement but sturdy and comfy enough to not leave you sore after a long movie. I've searched the forums for topics related to this and come up with a couple ideas based off of the suggestions others have been given. Many of the ideas I've gleaned from threads about extra/over-flow seating.

One suggestion was to use ottaman chairs--essentially ottamans that transformed into small chairs-- like this .

That's not a bad plan, but the ones suggested in the old threads were like $60 each and all the ones I can find are like $200-300 which is a bit much for a ottaman-chair of dubious quality.

Another idea is to use zero gravity lawn chairs . They're not terribly expensive (you can pick them up for $50-75) and they're extremely comfortable. They also store very well and I could easily put the chairs in a large closet off the movie room when not in use. The only problem is, well, they're lawn chairs. This solution is 100% comfortable and portable but I'm not sure if I want to go the "Hey check out the media room I took the time to wire, paint, and customize... why yes, those *are* lawn chairs" route.

Another option, which would give the room a more fun/casual feel is to use bean bag chairs and other soft loungers that compliment the color scheme of the room. At those kind of prices ($30 a unit), I could easily get 6-9 of them and always be ready for lots of guests/kids.

Is there some subtle alternative I might be over looking?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in the same predicament as you and would love to know what solution you ended up going with in the end and your thoughts on it now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts