AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mainly looking for sound quality, although things like HDMI swtiching are all plusses. Any recommendations on which receiver or integrated amp has the best sound quality at around the $500 price point?

Also, my only requirement is that it has a digital input.

Any thoughts on differences between the Onkyo 608, 708, and Pioneer 1019/1020? Is there anything else out there with very good/excellent sound? I'm also considering the Onkyo Onkyo A-5VL integrated amp since it's 2-channel, but i'm really not sure if the sound will be much better than getting a full blown receiver for about the same money.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you listen to a lot of music don't buy receiver. If you already made up your mind then I would look for Onkyo 805. It's an older model with very solid PSU and good DAC's. It stand out from the crowd when it was released (even the weight). Comparing to what Onkyo offers nowdays it's a steal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I don't get a receiver, what are my other options, Integrated Amp + a DAC? Can I do that for around $500? I wouldn't mind going that route.

LOL at the 805 suggestion. It's a bit too heavy for where i'm going to install this setup. I only know because I unwired and unplugged "the beast" from my main HT setup last weekend to do a firmware upgrade. Over 50lbs of pure audio goodness

Any recommended 2ch setups with a digital input in my price range that would work?

·
Registered
387 Posts
As an owner of HK 3490, I find this to be a satisfactory solution. It also has digital inputs, one optical and one coaxial. Very handy. The price range is reasonable. Some people say that there is no bass management with this model, so not sure if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/19552743

If I don't get a receiver, what are my other options, Integrated Amp + a DAC? Can I do that for around $500? I wouldn't mind going that route.

LOL at the 805 suggestion. It's a bit too heavy for where i'm going to install this setup. I only know because I unwired and unplugged "the beast" from my main HT setup last weekend to do a firmware upgrade. Over 50lbs of pure audio goodness

Any recommended 2ch setups with a digital input in my price range that would work?

well it's hard to find something really good for music in $500 price range (imho). Your only bet is used market. Look for some used Adcom or Parasound stuff (though if 50lbs is too heavy this may not be what you are looking for). I would recommend to wait until you can spend $1000 or so, to get separates. Many would advice getting integrated, but you'll be better off saving to prevent another upgrade from the near future.

LOL you've been late with 805 FW upgrade (did you have to wait for a dongle or something?).
BTW I use my 805 with Parasound HCA-2205AT in my home theater setup. Parasound improved the musicality of the setup quite a bit, though I never use it for music listenening (only Blu-Ray/DVD concerts).

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
If you want a pure direct 2.0 setup then you could look at a DAC + AMP.

I posted a Behringer SRC 2496 + Behringer A500 for a newb over at Polk Forums as one alternative (to many good ones) who had a budget of $350. There are some trade offs: No remote, no Sub out. Members there acted like I said it was the holy grail.

Plenty of used pre's and amps out there also.

For a fully balanced setup (that is XLR all the way) you could get an SRC 2496 and a pro style amp like the Crown XLS 402d for $199 (just saw the price and better amp than the A500 IMO).

If your source has a remote....

Also check out Best Buy. They are currently phasing out last years models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts