Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on this but nothing really came up other than the M-Audio Revolution.

For my setup (jukebox and DVD/Video player) I'm after as good as possible 2 channel analogue output going into a hi-fi amp, and when the need arises S/P DIF out to a Denon home cinema receiver for DVDs.

ANyone any ideas or would I be better off with an external DAC for the hifi side of things ??

Cheers !

·
Registered
319 Posts
One of the flavours of the RME96/8 would work well. Search the HTPC forum for RME and you will find a good deal of information including a specific two channel sound comparison.

Be aware that the 96/8 range is being retired check rme's website for details the closest replacement is the Hammerfall 9636 (right product name??) due out end of the quarter.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The RME is very good, and costs 2-3X M-audio's popular Delta series. Other cards you could look out for are the Digital Audio Labs Card Deluxe and the ones by Lynx Studio.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers !

Yeah the cost of those cards is kind of an issues, been looking at the M Audio Audiophile 2496, seems to have got good reviews qualitywise !

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yup, I have one myself, its pretty good, but lately people have been favoring the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 instead. It uses a newer DSP, and has better DACs and analog output. If you're concerned with analog output, the Revolution 7.1 might be better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Goi
Yup, I have one myself, its pretty good, but lately people have been favoring the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 instead. It uses a newer DSP, and has better DACs and analog output. If you're concerned with analog output, the Revolution 7.1 might be better.
Fantastic, it's cheaper too :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
don't believe Revo's DAC is better than Audiophile's, but buying Revo :) I hope Digital Connections send me the card to Europe..

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have heard the Echo MIA is very excellent for two channel sound

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The Revo uses a 2 channel 24/192 AKM DAC along with another 6 channel 24/192 AKM DAC, as well as another AKM ADC, can't remember the specs...I'm not sure what the AP2496 uses but it'll be a 24/96 DAC.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What about the Audiophile 2496?

I've also heard that the AP2496 uses inferior analog output components than the Revo 7.1...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, still looking like the Revo :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goi
What about the Audiophile 2496?

I've also heard that the AP2496 uses inferior analog output components than the Revo 7.1...
I think they both are using 5532 opamps and there is almost nothing important after DACs than opamps.. one can easily replace them with sort of higher grade OPA2604 or some AD opamps to get better sound, but..:D

Esben: how much does the shipping costs??

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Revo uses 553x opamps for output.

I was replacing 553x opamps for better opamps and discreet circuits in CD DAC output filter/buffers over ten years ago.

They have no place in any high quality audio product in 2003.

It would seem that if you want anything better that a > $1 opamp you have to spend hundreds of dollars more on a product. Very disappointing

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Analog devices and a few other companies make very high quality integrated op-amps at this point.

The frustrating issue with the sound card vendors is that they seem to be using DACs from a few years ago and even older analog stages. With the same chip count and the same board design the price difference is just in cip cost and is not that dramatic. It just seems sloppy.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My point exactly.

Why is it that anything with better than crap components costs so much more as a final product?

For the asking price of a Revo you cant expect any more. But how about a product that costs 100% more to make costing 100% more to buy in stead of 500% more.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
644 Posts
Owen,

Just looked at my card and there are eight 5532 op amps on board.

NickB

Edit- I guess I should say that I really don't know what all the fuss is over the op amps used on the REVO. From the posts made so far this reminds me of comments made years ago by people who "modded" their cd players by replacing the 5532's in every circuit they could find. Did these people hear a difference, you bet they did. Have any ABX tests shown an audible difference when used within their design specs, you bet they haven't!

As an aside, I recently tested the two channel performance of my Revo (with the cheapy 5532's) against my Arcam Alpha 8 cd player. Did I hear a difference, you bet I did. Did I do an ABX comparison, you bet I didn't! I mean, why would I want to actually prove that my $99 sound card didn't beat my $900 cd player:D

NickB

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I wasn't making a statement about ABX comparisons but you can definitely measure those differences. If you argue that true resolution is somewhat related to THD+N a card like the REVO has 13-14 bit of clean resolution before the distortion and noise masks the signal compared to the 17-18bit that you can find in design using more contemporary components.

Now, the question becomes can you ABX this increased resolution.

Well, can you hear the difference between an original 24bit recording and a resampled 16bit version of the same track. That will highly depend on the rest of your system and you ears. At this point it is not a question of money ...

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
opamps plays significant role - after DACs, they are the second determining factor for sound.. and if you replace 5532 with for example AD823, you can then remove those decoupling caps too and no caps in signal way is always better.. I'll probably do that on the front L/R if I get Revo.. I'm listening through Sennies HD590, I'm not using any multichanel at the moment, but If I ever will it will be at the quality level, where 5532 doesn't matter at all ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.