AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert all of my LPs that are out of print to CD. I would like to know who makes the best soundcard for this purpose. Many of these LPs are rare imports so I want to get it right.

Eventually, this soundcard will find its way into a dedicated HTPC, but I have to finish the room first.

My current PC is Win2k based, but if I need to use an alternate OS (driver support) to get the best board, so be it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You want clean inputs for that...something like the M-Audio 24/96 might work pretty well. I'm not sure if you have to do anything special to deal with the "phono" inputs.

I remember a few years ago I used a simple 2 RCA to 1/8 stereo headset plug with a record player into the el cheapo onboard sound of a Toshiba Infinia desktop. Worked fine IIRC.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'd go for the Soundblaster Audigy Platinum EX. I'm an old DJ myself with about 3000 LP's and 1000-1500 7" and 12" singles, and I use that. I used to use the Live Platinum, but I'm able to hear the difference on line noise between that and the Audigy. Yes, it's expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an outboard phono preamp so anything that takes line levels will work.

Is there any filtering software out there that could be used to suppress scratches and/or static?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The Adaptec Easy Cd Extractor has an option for filtering out pops and scratches, it also has a facility to seperate the individual tracks on an album.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.