AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I only heard 2-3 different pair of speakers and the ones I loved most were the ones I have but that's very little experience.

I am very curious to know what speakers you guys heard and which ones were the BEST sounding to you. Heck, maybe if a few people mention some 2-3K speakers, I may just get them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do really like my multiple Aperion setups, but I still vividly remember the best pair I ever heard some 25 years ago... Sonus Faber bookshelves in a retailer's shop in Austin. To this day, I've never heard anything like them.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I think another good question to ask is which speakers are on your list to audition!

Mine would be some Monitor Audio - Gold's

However, I'm in search to audition a tower speaker that doesn't use a "sub" woofer, rather, focuses on 50-60hz and above only ($5k pair) - implementing the best mid-range/mid-bass/high frequency drivers for the best reproduction in that price range. Probably should start getting into DIY for those personal reasons.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
That is an easy one for me. Panel speakers. Either Planar-magnetic or ESLs.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
some old DCM time window 7's....circa 1995
as I recall about $3500 a pair back then MSRP

Warren

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
For a few years, my Lloyds' record player/8 track player was the bomb! But then again, it was that versus a variety of cheap boomboxes! then I heard my older brothers Advent speakers...this was the late 70s early 80...forward to 2012 and I heard "well-to-do" friend's Legacy Audio system, well, beats anything I have! however, it cost him the better part of 30,000 dollars! 30,000 dollars, my car didn't cost that much!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
B&W 800 Diamond is the best I've heard and still sort of reasonable price wise. Also heard the uber expensive Focal Grande Utopia EM. Very impressive but insanely expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Totem Model 1 Signatures

System 1:
Amp: Celeste PW 5000
CD:Rega Apollo-r
Speakers : Totem Sttaf
Interconnects : Kimber P.B.J
Cables : Straightwire Rhythm

System 2
Amp : Rega Brio 3
CD : Rega Apollo
Tuner ; Rega Radio 3
Speakers :L.S.A .5 monitors
Interconnects :Kimber P.B.J
Cables : Kimber 8vs

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've never heard the TAD Reference One, or the KEF R-109 Maidstone speakers, so until I do I'd say Merlin speakers are without a doubt some of the most amazing speakers I've ever heard. I still own an original pair of Merlin tower speakers that still sound fantastic to this day, and they are well over 20 years old.

·
Registered
258 Posts
some old DCM time window 7's....circa 1995
as I recall about $3500 a pair back then MSRP

Warren
Yup - I had a friend that had a set of these back in the day, They were great - Made in Ann Arbor where I lived at the time I think..

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
Sonus Faber Olympica III's are the best I ever heard. Their Venere 3's (closer to your price range) aren't far behind.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Can't remember the model, but it was a pair of Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just got done listening to the Def Tech Mythos ST-L SuperTower's and wow those speakers were amazing. Made me want to hand over $5000 quicker than any other large purchase I have ever made. Took major constraint not to walk out with them today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts