AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a center and 4 satellites to replace my klh , klh sound ok to me but im sure i could get something alot better for just under $300? dont know much about this so figured id post

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
4 Polk R15s for $100 and a CS1 for ~ $150 from Frys/Outpost on sale. 4 Athena B1s for $150 + C1 for $100 from www.audioadvisor ... Ok I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Or, just get two decent bookshelf speakers and start from there and add on as you can. Decent stereo is way better than bad surround. A good, entry surround system is really more like $1000. Or buy used - NHT Super Zeros, Paradigm Titans, PSB Alphas, etc.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here's a good deal for used speakers for $650:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl...oni&1129059474

4 Aperion 522D-LRs ($180ea) with stands ($50ea) and the 522-Vac Center (280) all in high gloss black finish:

I knew of this classified because he posted it at aperionaudio.com forums.

Though, you'll need a subwoofer, but for the price it's a hell of a starter set.

Here's a review of those speakers at cnet with a subwoofer, but also with only a regular speaker for the center and not the VAC.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Aperion_Inti...-20871403.html

Contact Aperion, I think they'll still honor the warranty, which is 10 years.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of display device do you use for movie viewing? Try to match or exceed that $$$ level if funds allow on sound. Far too often people spend 5X more on video than they do on audio, the experience is lost without the impact of the sound.

Try an experiment, watch a horror movie with the sound off, do you feel at any time frightened? Do the same with the video switched off. It's a few degrees better than with sound off.

Some of my friends watched the Jap version of the Ring at the cinemas, they felt it was a "scary" movie, some others borrowed the dvd and watched it on a regular tv set and didn't feel the same. Now some will say it is because they need a bigger TV set to emulate the cinema experience, but really, it is the sound in the cinemas that create the bigger impact, just that people don't equate the size of audio like they do video.

Just my 2c

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
30 Posts
lol- you guys are funny. no matter what, they always tell you to spend more and then more later on. i'm alright with it. :)

from what i gather its Rocket Tykes or Athena Micra6s...if you want a decent set-up for $300ish. if you have a sub and can go a tad bigger than the satellites the Athena Point 5s can be had for $200.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Okay, well, a better test might be "what car do you own?"

If you have an old, beat up used car or an el cheapo Kia/Hyundai, then fine, there's no limit to how little you can spend to be appropriate. But other than that, spending $1000 on an HT speaker system is like spending $15k on a base Honda Civic as your daily driver. It's all about proportion. $600 is obviously higher performance than $300 and $1000 is obviously higher performance than $600. After that, or, at least $1500, things then start to slow down. I'd say $1500 is the ultimate "bang/buck" line. Below that, you suffer large performance drops. Above that, you get enjoyable subtleties.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
4 Athena B1s for $150 + C1 for $100 from audioadvisor
Ron, Is there a special code to get 4 B1s for $150 at audioadvisor? I see the price as $99.95 pair.

For the surround package, i'd second the Athena Point 5 (Amazon $200 shipped) with a Dayton 10" sub @partsexpress $117 shipped.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroy
Ron, Is there a special code to get 4 B1s for $150 at audioadvisor? I see the price as $99.95 pair.

For the surround package, i'd second the Athena Point 5 (Amazon $200 shipped) with a Dayton 10" sub @partsexpress $117 shipped.
I misspoke, my memory is going. That's the price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have a klipsch sub, huge fisher speakers for my mains in front , 15" woof, 6" mid , 3" tweet........i have a hitachi 64" widescreen , was $3000 when i bought it , altho i payed $2000....................like i said the klh sound ok to me , i just figured i could do a little better, my limit is $300.................no way im spending $2000 on 5 surrounds, i just cant do it

·
Registered
101 Posts
so you want the 4 surround channels and the center channel for a 7.1 system? is that correct, or if not, what are you saying?

you might as well get 2 surrounds and a center instead, because that 5.1 will be better than a 7.1 for the same money.

I'm not sure I understand you properly, but if so, that's my recomendation.

since you have 2 big mains, and a sub, the money will be better spent on either JUST a center channel, or if you really want the rears, a center and matching rears, or maybe a dipole rear? not sure if there's a cheapo one of those out there.

You can always look around grocery store parking lots for some questionable guys in a beat up white van that says "hi-fi speakers" on the side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mmmmm, this may twist this into another direction but , which are better , the athenas or these fluance?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
A cheap center to augment the big ol mains... you may as well skip the centre and get your mains to do a phantom centre, a cheapy little centre will clip long before your mains start getting in hot water. This is getting more and more confusing... I don't know what you need anymore, what is it? Rear, side and centre speakers? Or 5 speakers to match and leave your old towers for music purpose?

Pretty hard to help if you aren't specific.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Hmm,

I'd double your budget and just get a nice sub. Who needs the rest anyway, use the ones built into your TV ;) :D

Seth

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about the Acoustic Research HC6. It seems to get high praise on this and other forums as well as great editorial reviews.

J&R is selling the complete HC6 5.1 system for $269.88 with FREE SHIPPING

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp
mmmmm, this may twist this into another direction but , which are better , the athenas or these fluance?
I bought a set of the SXHTB last month and after break in they sound very good.

Have never heard the Athenas so unable top respond on those but the Fluance, looks and sound like they should have cost much more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is also the well-rated & reviewed KEF Eggs (5 plus sub) at J&R right at your budget. Looks good, performs well, built great, small and unobtrusive. You will need a decent receiver to make it sound good, acc. to reviewers.

EDIT: 4 KEF Stands are only an additional 40 bucks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp
Athena. But I prefer the Audition series with that brand. The Fluance line are too insensitive for entry level receivers.

No one has mentioned BIC Venturi. By far, 4 DV62si's coupled with one DV62CLR-S would be your best bet. You'd be slightly over $300, but nothing I've seen compares. A pair of 62's go for $115, and the center should be around $105.

http://www.bicamerica.com/DV62%20CONFIG%20SPECS.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.