AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best sounding Tower(at least for the main speakers) 5.1 or 5.0 system with or with without a sub I can get for under $600? This is for a bedroom system and will probably be powered by a Pioneer 1018 or Onkyo 606 receiver.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor /forum/post/15487559

What is the best sounding Tower(at least for the main speakers) 5.1 or 5.0 system with or with without a sub I can get for under $600? This is for a bedroom system and will probably be powered by a Pioneer 1018 or Onkyo 606 receiver.

The likely culprits will be the Primus 360 or 362, the Infinity Beta 40 or 50, something from Paradigm or something from Energy. Check the respective owner's threads to get into the nitty gritty.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'd say the Infinity Primus P362s, PC350, and P152s would pretty much be about the best you could do with tower mains for $600. In a bedroom these should provide adequate bass, at least until a sub can be added on down the road.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Too bad you want floor standers. Bose spends untold amounts of $ on research. According to one who responded to you there is no substitute for research.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You can check and see if Audioholics is still having specials on EMP speakers.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I wa going to reccoment two different speakers but I ave already over reccomended one of them so I would say you should try out klipsch's recently released Icon series floor speakers, they have a very open sound and a tight bass response.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Are you talking $600/pr, or each?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15491517

from the first post, looks like $600 for the whole 5.1 tower system

I could take that first post either way. But if the $600 is for a 5.1, can't get much in the way of a pair of towers, unless one gets some really good bids with Harman Audio auctions. And even then, most likely can't do a 5.1 for $600.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone like the Energys?

·
Registered
29,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor /forum/post/15495408

Anyone like the Energys?

Yes, but not those especially for $239 each. Get real tower speakers, not flat panel speakers. The Energy C-500 or C-300 would be much preferred over the Take TWR you linked.

The C-300 will only cost you $250/pr.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

The Infinity P362 or Energy C-500 would be a better buy also.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
Yeah, the Take TWR models are "slim" or "flat panel" speakers that are meant to be wall-mountable or take up as little floor space as possible (i.e. wife appeal). They and all other "flat panel" speakers are a "compromise speaker", and if you have the room to put a real full-size speaker in its place you should.

That being said, the Takes do sound great for what they are. My friend uses the Tape FPS as a center channel because his console doesn't have room for a full-sized center, and it is very impressive. Excellent dialogue clarity and impressive mid-bass for the size.

But again, the Takes are inherently a compromise speaker and absolutely require a good sub to "fill out" the low end and even the low mids. The C-series models are a far better value if you have the room. The Take TWR's are more expensive, not because they sound better, but because they sound as good as they do for how small they are.

Here's a review of the Take's if you're curious:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...er-system.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts