AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for another source (good service, good prices, like Newegg) for my HTPC setup.

Want to try to avoid state sales tax if at all possible.

Need:

micro-atx Motherboard

P 4 CPU

Memory

case

www.directron.com is good, but prices could be better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's up to you but the aggravation of something going wrong might offset any savings from sales tax.

Having built dozens of PC's I've conclusion that price isn't everything, particularly as it relates to memory working on different motherboards. I urge you to buy the motherboard, cpu, and memory from a single supplier so no one points figures at each other if there's an issue.

While a few have had problems with newegg, most swear by them if there are issues (i.e. their RMA process is pretty hassle free).

However, if you still need the absolute lowest price (and are not near a Fry's where you can take advantage of their frequent MB / CPU / memory sales), use www.pricewatch.com to find the lowest prices. However, make sure you also use www.resellerratings.com and check the feedback.

Anyway, it looks like you are looking to spend

Charlie

P.S. It helps that I have a resale account with Newegg ;) And I have to charge sales tax to someone in CA that I build a system for whether the parts came from out of state or in state. Newegg has both great prices and great service.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, it looks like you are looking to spend
Yes, the $40 in sales tax will most likely be offset by the shipping and handeling fees associated with out of state companies of lesser stature than Newegg. Example: $110 processor on Price Watch, shipping is $9.95 from more than one company but CA tax is only $8.52 and Newegg ships for free.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thanks for the feedback. I absolutely agree that sourcing the parts from one supplier is the best. I am a regular Newegg customer and use directron.com many times in the past two.

I've been to the accupc site, just never ordered from them.

I was hoping that a another "newegg" type establishment was out there somewhere.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I use newegg and I pay sales tax. I know if something goes wrong (and it did -twice) I am issued RMA on the spot and have replaced goodies in two days.

Besides, Governator needs my $$$. It's an obsolete model...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I use those price search engines, but not all online sites use them and then also use them for all their products. For instance, directron is rarely listed (I think they show up in pricegrabber sometimes).

And yes, newegg is awesome. Returns are easy and they ship fast. I will probably buy the cpu, memory, and vid card there. I got the 160 gb 8mb maxtor drive locally at BB ($99), MS wireless keyboard/mouse $30 (compusa). Will buy the LCD monitor locally too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
NewEgg gets my vote too! Unfortunately I couldn't vote for the governator though ...they wouldn't accept my vote from Michigan! I agree with many on NewEgg's RMA policy. Simply the best I have dealt with. I have been ordering most parts from online vendors over the years and trust me when I say that you will find out how good a place is when it comes to a dead mobo or video card. I'll buy cables, cases and odds and ends from other places now but most of the important stuff I almost always go to NewEgg due to this fact. Aaflyer made another very excellent point to buy the motherboard, cpu, and memory from a single supplier so no one points figures at each other if there's an issue. I would also add video card to that list. I didn't do that once and a bad video card from one place fried my motherboard from another place and well 8 weeks later, tons of out-of-state phone calls I finally got both replaced. NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been very happy with Hypermicro (hypermicro dot com) for all things hard drive and SCSI and RAID. They now carry workstation type stuff (intel mainboards and workstation vid cards), but like others, I use newegg myself for most other purchases. I've had success with monarch, but cannot comment on their service or RMA policies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
I got the 160 gb 8mb maxtor drive locally at BB ($99)
Guess you missed out on the Hitachi 180 gb 8mb drive with three year warranty for $69 after rebate that Fry's had earlier this week. I'm not positive, but I think the deal might still on thru 1/31...

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.