AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is asking me to set him up with good HT system w/o breaking the bank. I'm thinking of going with the 10HT, of for no other reason than it's just about the simplest to use and the picture isn't that bad.

I have two questions for the ever so discerning members of this forum, what's the best source for this machine? Is a progressive scan DVD player OK? Which model would you recommend? He's really not up to using an HTPC w/ this system, that much I'm pretty sure about. I have one, and you're preaching to the choir if you claim that HTPC is the way to go, but as far as my less computer literate friend goes, it won't fly. He'll just make my life miserable.

In addition, what's the best screen for this projector and how much will it cost me? We'd like to make the image as large as possible for this machine when viewing at a distance of 16' or so.

Are there 16:9 DLP's out there that compete in terms of performance at that price point? 16:9 is important, and the ISCO/Panamorph may be a bit too sophisticated for him.

R-S

· Registered
1,034 Posts
The best screen to use with the 10ht is the stewart greyhawk and it will run you about $1500. Da-lite also has a grey screen and I believe the price is close.

The 10HT can be had from a number of dealers for around $5000-$5200. Shop around and make sure you know there return policy and if they will take back a unit that has problems (ie. dust, stuck pixel's).
www.projectorcentral.com has a listing of dealers who sell the 10HT.

Prices range from $4700 to $6200 depending on who/where you call.

You can use a progressive scan DVD player or use an interlaced player with something like an iscan pro.

To my knowledge, there are no 16:9 DLP's out right now.

· Registered
379 Posts
Raoul,

The review by Bill Cushman of the Sony 10HT appearing in "The Perfect Vision" last year included performance measured while using the DaLite High Power screen material. If you read that review by researching the archives here, or "TPV", he detailed the many attributes of the DaLite screen material in conjunction with the very positive review of the Sony.

I in fact replaced my Dalite Matte White screen after seeing Bill's set-up, and have been extremely pleased and rewarded with vivid colors, and an image that packs punch.

My Dalite HP 80x45" with 14" black drop, manual pull-down, ran about $215 buck-a-roo's. No wrinkles or positional image wash-out, and excellent edge to edge uniformity and consistency.

Your best bet before laying down the large (Stewart or Dalite Gray), is to see if the DaLite HP will float you boat! The $1300 savings will buy you a Sony DVP9000 DVD/SACD player with change left over!

Jack

· Registered
533 Posts
I second Jack's recommendation of the DA-LITE High Power for the 10HT, from personal experience. It's particularly good in helping reject ambient light and improving contrast.

Regards,

Jon

· Registered
16 Posts
This is the Topic I have been looking for! I am in the beginnings of determining what equipment to get. I've convinced my better half that a projection system is the way to go. No big box out there in the middle of the room, easier to hide wires, etc...

Anyways, we agree that a price point of ~10K for both the projector and screen is feasible. I am leaning towards the Sony 10HT and the difference to buy the screen. Any thoughts on what is available at that price for both the screen and projector that'll give me good results? I really am a newbie to projector systems and home theaters...

Phillip

------------------

Later...

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Phillip,

I am in the process of setting up a system for someone using the 10HT and stewart greyhawk. Email me and I will provide you with some good prices from reputable dealers. And when I say reputable, I mean they back up their product 100% and are factory authorized.

[email protected]

· Registered
1,156 Posts
I also want to chime in a recommendation for the hi power.

If you are going to be able to have a perfectly dark dedicated room the the greyhawk is the better choice, but in normal living conditions the hi powers ambient light reflection is a godsend. Very watchable picture even with high ambient light.

------------------

It's great to have all this great gear. But I'd instead put all that money into software (Movies) I'd have SOMETHING TO WATCH ON ALL THIS GREAT GEAR. Doh!

· Registered
7,518 Posts
Any sort of compromise out there? A cheap version of a gray-hawk that can be manually pulled down? When I get my projector (waiting for $$$ and the HT11) if I could get a decent screen matched with the projector for under $1000 I'd really be happy (needs to be a drop-down).

-dave

· Registered
379 Posts
Hey for a Sugarland resident, I'd even invite ya over to see MY Sony10HT and Da-Lite HP!!!

Philip, your welcome over to see my modest HT set-up. Email me if your interested and we'll talk about a time.

Regards,

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.