AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently ordered the Denon PMA 1600NE, my lifetime wish for a good stereo amp finally coming to true.

Please recommend the best speakers for music and occasional movie within the budget of 1800USD.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Basic Speaker FAQ

This speaker FAQ is intended to answer some of the basic questions about speakers and putting together a home audio setup.

See post #2 for rules before posting in this thread. This is NOT a recommendations or technical assistance thread. If you need help, you will want to start your own thread in the AVS Speaker forum, providing the information in item #1 below.

1) I need help with picking out an HT or stereo setup. What kind of information should I provide?

When creating a new thread in the Speaker forum for help with recommendations for an audio setup, be sure to include

1) Your budget.
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
5) Any placement restrictions.
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)

If you are seeking help with configuring or troubleshooting an existing setup, be sure to give the make/model for your entire setup and try to describe the problem with good detail.

Once you have given good, detailed information for what you need help with, provide a title for your post that helps people to understand what you are looking for.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,
I recently ordered the Denon PMA 1600NE, my lifetime wish for a good stereo amp finally coming to true.

Please recommend the best speakers for music and occasional movie within the budget of 1800USD.

Many thanks in advance
I can get a pair of Triangle Borea BR 08 to your door for $1800.00, if you are in the lower 48. Youtube has reviews and sound demos of these speakers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basic Speaker FAQ

This speaker FAQ is intended to answer some of the basic questions about speakers and putting together a home audio setup.

See post #2 for rules before posting in this thread. This is NOT a recommendations or technical assistance thread. If you need help, you will want to start your own thread in the AVS Speaker forum, providing the information in item #1 below.

1) I need help with picking out an HT or stereo setup. What kind of information should I provide?

When creating a new thread in the Speaker forum for help with recommendations for an audio setup, be sure to include

1) Your budget.
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
5) Any placement restrictions.
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)

If you are seeking help with configuring or troubleshooting an existing setup, be sure to give the make/model for your entire setup and try to describe the problem with good detail.

Once you have given good, detailed information for what you need help with, provide a title for your post that helps people to understand what you are looking for.
Thank you for the guidelines.

I am completely new to this.
My Room is 15' l x 13' w x 9'6" h, wooden floors, right side wooden cupboard and left side full length glass doors with curtains.
I prefer moderate bass and love music pop, classical and country songs.

I heard a demo of Martin Logan motion20 on Denon 1600h(stereo mode) , but not impressed.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
We can recommend lots of speakers for $1800USD, but many of them only ship to the mainland American states.
I can't make out your flag. Where are you located? What speakers are available in your area?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am currently in Oman, Here dealers available for Paradigm, Martin Logan, PSB, Yamaha and Polk.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Paradigm Premier 700F would be $1800USD in Canada or America - they may be much more expensive in the Sultanate. PSB speakers are incredibly well-built and are considered to be great speakers for music. The Imagine T is currently $1600.pr on Crutchfield.
I own both Paradigm and PSB speakers, so you can tell my bias. At current pricing, there are no Polk speakers that can compare to the Paradigm or PSB speakers for your budget; unless you can make a deal for the now-discontinued Polk LSiM-series speakers. They are usually discounted by at least 50% by different retailers in the US, because Polk has replaced them with their Legend-series.
Yamaha doesn't get the press they deserve in North America, but they actually make some VERY nice high-end loudspeakers; but not within your budget. They also make great powered studio monitors for the recording industry.
I would audition as many different speakers as you can. Bring a well-recorded CD (or high-resolution audio file) of your favourite music with you. Make sure that you are listening at the same volume (there are SPL {Sound Pressure Level} apps available for your smart phone) with the same electronics (if possible). Take pleanty of notes, as our audio memory is not great.

Reactions: Zorba922 and binodr

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
I am currently in Oman, Here dealers available for Paradigm, Martin Logan, PSB, Yamaha and Polk.
Then I'd stick to the first 3. The last 2 are not in the same league, with the possible exception of the Polk LSi-M if on deep discounts (their regular prices are laughably inflated).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then I'd stick to the first 3. The last 2 are not in the same league, with the possible exception of the Polk LSi-M if on deep discounts (their regular prices are laughably inflated).
My friend have a pair of Boston VR2. Compared to that, ML's Motion 20 is louder but clarity and depth is missing in some of the songs I tried.

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
My friend have a pair of Boston VR2. Compared to that, ML's Motion 20 is louder but clarity and depth is missing in some of the songs I tried.
You were probably listening without a subwoofer in the store, right? The Boston is a "warmer" voiced speaker with more mid-bass presence. I'd expect the ML to have superior extension/detail in the highs with zero fatigue due to its AMT tweeter.

A subwoofer will level the playing field and for HT is absolutely essential---for HT, a $500 subwoofer with a $500 pair of speakers will crush any $5000 pair of speakers, floorstanding or towers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were probably listening without a subwoofer in the store, right? The Boston is a "warmer" voiced speaker with more mid-bass presence. I'd expect the ML to have superior extension/detail in the highs with zero fatigue due to its AMT tweeter.

A subwoofer will level the playing field and for HT is absolutely essential---for HT, a $500 subwoofer with a $500 pair of speakers will crush any $5000 pair of speakers, floorstanding or towers.
PMA 1600NE supports biwiring, but there is no subwoofer out:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yes, it was without sub Woofer. But the Boston also I heard was without the sub.

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
PMA 1600NE supports biwiring, but there is no subwoofer out:(
Then you'll need to find a subwoofer with speaker pass-through connections like this:

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
Yes, it was without sub Woofer. But the Boston also I heard was without the sub.
Of course, so you chose the speaker with more mid-bass. Perfectly natural reaction.

Now, if you had a subwoofer integrated with the speakers, then you'd get to pick the speaker with the better MIDS and HIGHS, and you'd enjoy more, better and deeper bass from the sub (if it's a decent sub).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One vendor is offering Vanderstein 2ce for a very good price. Shall I go for it?

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
Seriously thinking to revise the budget🤔
$1800 is already very ample for 2 speakers and a sub, if you're in the US. Not sure about prices in Oman.

Vandersteen 2CE is $3300/pr here...how much over there? I went to a Vandersteen dealer many years ago and quite enjoyed all of their speakers, was simply too cheap to buy any myself. :) If the model 2CE really has a 29Hz roll off at 3db then you won't need a subwoofer for music.

Are you able to buy speakers in Dubai and take them back to Oman? The Wharfedale website shows a distributor there, and I'd look at their Evo 4.3 or 4.4 models:
DG Plus(Branch of Sharaf DG)
Level 1, Times Square Centre
Dubai
Phone: 971 43 23 4466
[email protected]

Another option are the Emotiva T2+ towers ($1K/pair), you'll have to email Emotiva to ask for a direct shipping quote to Oman. Even with the cost of shipping they might still be a better deal than anything else you can get there locally. They should be fine without a subwoofer for music too.

Reactions: binodr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for responding.
He asked whether I am interested or not? He knows my budget and he will tell me the price later. I will update as soon as I receive it.

Going to Dubai is difficult now.

Will check emotiva too.

Many thanks

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Vandersteen are great speakers. However, there are a couple of caveats to owning them. First, they need plenty of room around them, 3/4 feet from any wall. Second, they tend to image well in a single seating position. When you find that position, it's nirvana. Outside that position, it will sound good, but the imaging will be to a lesser degree. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vandersteen are great speakers. However, there are a couple of caveats to owning them. First, they need plenty of room around them, 3/4 feet from any wall. Second, they tend to image well in a single seating position. When you find that position, it's nirvana. Outside that position, it will sound good, but the imaging will be to a lesser degree. Just an FYI.
i will have a demo then.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts