AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2000 to spend, give or take, I'm a bit flexible on a 7.1 system. Actually.. I have the .1, an SVS sub. What I need is a new set of speakers, center, mains, surrounds, and rears.

What is the best that 2000 can get for me? I know it's all subjective and I plan on auditioning several, but where should I start? Any recommendations our there? They will be powered by a Denon 5800 and 95/5 for HT/music.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
in alphabetical order...

Aperion

Ascend

Axiom

Rocket

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is a flame war waiting to happen but I guess I indulge for a while....

I would post my vote for the Rocket 550/200/550 package that they have on sale through the end of the month.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If that much of your listening is HT then yes I would go with the Rockets or the system I have right now, the Atlantic Technology 370THX Ultra setup. I'm selling mine for $1900 and I have seen others available used for about the same amount without the sub.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have experience with Axiom? I actually help my buddy set up his HT and we went with Axiom, a bit cheaper package than what I would get though.. he had M40, vp100, qs4's. I did think it sounded pretty good.. but I never really got to hear it playing a good DVD after break in.

Anyone have any strong opinions one way or another? I currently have NHT 1.4 towers, VS 1.4 center and super zeroes surrounds... but I want to upgrade (don't we all) :)

I'll start looking into the other speaker brands, I don't know anything about them. I went to the rocket website and thought they looked incredible. Everyone has great things to say that I have read. The only problem is the WAF of these speakers.. I'm getting a new house and the wife really does not want those behemoth bipoles (15x15 I think) hanging all over the walls in the family room :) Axiom's are half the size, but I would hate to make a decision becuase of that!

anyway.....

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCi
...I currently have NHT 1.4 towers, VS 1.4 center and super zeroes surrounds... but I want to upgrade (don't we all) :)...
what's wrong w/ the current setup you have now?

i've heard the VT1.4s and thought it was a very nice sounding speaker. i liked the ability to flick a switch to go from direct radiating to bipolar for HT...

did you purchase them before or after they were discontinued?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, since you are fortunate enough to be able to actually listen to your friend's Axioms (not many people are), why don't you hear them some more? At the very least, you will get a general idea on the Axiom sound. Personally, I love the sound of my Axioms both for music (mostly classical) and movies. Most of all, a transparent and neutral sound is very important for my taste -- I am so used to the sound of classical instruments in a live setting, and desire to "see" them in my living room. For these goals, the Axioms are great.

I understand that Rockets are much more laid-back, relaxed, easy, and warm sounding speakers. If you think you like those characters rather than the revealing accuracy, neutrality and transparency of the Axioms, then the Rockets would be better choice for you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sushi, I will do just that!

Maddog, moving into a new house is giving me the perfect oppurtunity to upgrade!! :) I told the wife these modest speakers won't fill the new, bigger room. Also, I really want bi or dipolar speakers for the surrounds.

I picked up these VT1.4s AFTER discontinued, got a great price at 6th ave.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCi
...I picked up these VT1.4s AFTER discontinued, got a great price at 6th ave.
then the VT1.4s are a great value...you'd be hard pressed to do alot better than that for $2K...i heard them and liked them for the discontinued price. they sounded pretty neutral to me. the highs were a touch on the brighter side on piano music (for my tastes) but that could've been due to other reasons beside the speaker...my recommendation is to keep them cuz they looked pretty nice w/ the gloss black finish. unless you can't stand the way they look.. just my $0.02.

·
Registered
182 Posts
 VMPS

CES Award winners two years in a row. Exceptional reviews where these speakers have ousted $20k plus models. Experienced audiophile owners have said that it's the BEST speaker they have EVER heard. ( I can confirm this as well ;) )

You can get into one of their models for under $2k. :)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
Well, since you are fortunate enough to be able to actually listen to your friend's Axioms (not many people are), why don't you hear them some more? At the very least, you will get a general idea on the Axiom sound. Personally, I love the sound of my Axioms both for music (mostly classical) and movies. Most of all, a transparent and neutral sound is very important for my taste -- I am so used to the sound of classical instruments in a live setting, and desire to "see" them in my living room. For these goals, the Axioms are great.

I understand that Rockets are much more laid-back, relaxed, easy, and warm sounding speakers. If you think you like those characters rather than the revealing accuracy, neutrality and transparency of the Axioms, then the Rockets would be better choice for you.
I would love to offer some real comments to this post...

I have to admit sushi you post begs for this comment... our sonic signature does not EXCLUDE our ability to be very revealing... or transparent --- let alone accurate... while still being a bit more laid-back and easy on the ears... :)

I apologize for the bias... and I also don't mean to pick on JUST your one post here (please know that)... but I want folks to know that my proclivity for easy and laid back sound is by design and very much EXACTLY what I want in a speaker (and system) that I will use hour after hour every day (if I can)...

Thanks for "hearing me out on this"...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
553 Posts
IMO you need to match speakers to your room.Say the room has alot of glass and hardwood floors A laid back speaker may be perfect for you.Its really hard to say how any of these will sound in your room.The replys all sound good.You just need to see how they will sound in your room.I have read that 85% of what we hear is reflected sound.Also Laid back does not mean less accurate.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi

This is interesting as I have heard the Axiom's described on more than one occasion as entry level Rockets but a little brighter. Could you please elaborate on how you arrived at this conclusion?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I hate to be a curmudgeon, but what I find missing about all these glowing recommendations of internet-only speakers is rationale behind the recommendation. All I hear "THESE are great!" No offense to Sushi (and not to single him out), but I've seen the same post over and over about Axiom speakers, but no real data. I haven't gotten the slightest idea what Axioms or Rockets or whatever are, why you like them, what you've compared them to, what kind/size drivers they use, are they ported/acoustic suspension? What price they are, what really expensive speaker you think they sound like, what kind of person would like them, etc, etc. I mean, look, I'm an unapologetic NHT/Genesis/Meridian supporter. I LOVE their stuff. BUT, I always try to explain WHY they *might* be good for someone else given what their priorities are. I mean, you might "understand" that Rockets are "laidback", but if you haven't heard them, well, maybe they're brighter than the Axioms to some people. And just what IS "bright" to you? Is it too much upper midrange? Too much treble? A raspy tweeter? It varies from person to person. I guess what I'm saying is recommending a speaker is like recommending a car. You can't tell everyone that a Volkswagen is THE car for them without understanding their situation, what they migh tlike and being able to articulate good reasons why this would be so.

I mean, okay, here's an example. Silver says he has an SVS sub. So you want something that blends well with a sub. Well, acoustic suspension designs are easier to blen with a sub because they don't vent out of phase information into the room which can cause peaks and dips in the response. He's doing 7.1 and is mostly into movies, which means you want to match the center/rears/fronts as much as possible and have reasonable dynamics. He also has a Denon 5800 meaning he can easily drive inefficient speakers. He may also need to wall mount the rear speakers as is often the case, so small and mountable may be a consideration. I would assume he's probably got a 12" sub because that is a popular size. Given that SVS subs get good reviews (never heard one, though I did trade one in today so will have the opportunity soon enough). So, because of my biases combined with his apparent needs, I'm going to say 3 NHT M6s for the front speakers (acoustic suspension, perfectly matched, 3-way design) and 4 NHT SB1s for the rears (acoustic suspension, wall-mountable, optional white finish). Or, if Silver wants to keep them matched all the way around, 7 NHT SB-3s will easily fit within his budget, blend with his subs and be perfectly matched all the way around. One prioritizes the fronts, the other goes for a perfect blend front to back. Is this the ideal system for $2000? Who can say? Worth checking out though for these reasons.

Hey, speaking of which, I did trade-in an SVS subwoofer today, a 25-31 is the number as I recall. Any of you SVS supporters have any idea how old it is and what it's current value would be? It sold for $700 new (have the receipt, but it's not dated!) . I'm assuming it's an earlier effort because, quite frankly, it looks like a one-off home made unit with grey carpet it on it. It is a tube with a 12" woofer I think downfiring with a port in the top and a metal car-type speaker grill on top of the port. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, www.axiomaudio.com and www.********** are both fully web-enabled for purchase and stats, John.

They tell you what the speaker type is, what size all the drivers are, and every single different model they make and sell. I believe both tell you what the drivers are made of, and perhaps the cabinets as well. We don't re-hash all of that all the time because it's a click away.

The other thing I want to note is that -- apparently -- these companies and several others that sell direct make some great speakers that don't cost a lot of money. There are also some lines sold at brick-and-mortar stores that are similarly wondrous without being obscenely pricey.

I remember visiting a high-end store when the very first Boston Acoustics came out. The guy who ran the place had many multi-thousand dollar speakers on display. He was pushing me toward a pair of Bostons that were $800.

Some people will pay almost anything and will hear a lot of appreciable difference between different models.

Others will pay somewhat less and buy speakers that sound wonderful playing music and movies and forever lack a frame of reference. The latter group might be every bit as delighted as the former.

Mark

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I think it's fair to say that no matter what speaker is ever mentioned/recommended, in any thread, that John Ashman has "had one traded in" for someone who prefers NHT. It seems to be his "thang"..."well, if that speaker is so good, then why do I have 44 of them that were recently traded in"? I've never been to his store, but it must be massive....he takes in trades on inferior speakers all the time. I can't imagine how he would ever sell them....

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by craigdcan
Well, I think it's fair to say that no matter what speaker is ever mentioned/recommended, in any thread, that John Ashman has "had one traded in" for someone who prefers NHT. It seems to be his "thang"..."well, if that speaker is so good, then why do I have 44 of them that were recently traded in"? I've never been to his store, but it must be massive....he takes in trades on inferior speakers all the time. I can't imagine how he would ever sell them....
Craig, that was hardly the point. I said I traded in. I made no mention of why. And I'm not bashing ANY of these products. ALL I'm saying it that people making recommendations might well do more than just say a name brand. As for the SVS, it DID come in for an NHT SW10. He was on marching orders from his wife to get a smaller prettier stereo system and his, quite frankly was ugly. Big Definitives and huge gray tube that he calls "his trash can". I was asking for information on the SVS, not trashing it. I may like NHT, but I CAN make a coherent argument for why someone might want to listen to it. That doesn't take anything away from these other products. I was just saying that Axioms or Ascends or whathaveyou may be fanstastic products and values. I was explaining to people how they can do a better sales job on them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
John,

The 25-31 CS (passive model) retailed under 400, and is the lowest priced SVS sub. Since SVS started a few years ago, it can't be too old. You can probably price it around 250? www.svssubwoofers.com would have exact info. And they have introduced more traditional box subs for those cosmetically challenged rooms :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.