AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Been there, done that (as far as I can in my limited area, and this is why I know that, for example, I don't necessarily like horn tweeters for critical music listening). I didn't want to jade the thread with what I think I want, but I'm more looking for things that I have not heard/cannot hear. If it looks intriguing and they have a good return policy, I may try it.
I was once looking for warm speakers for music too. I can attest, as gajCA suggested above, that B&W 685 S2s are warm speakers. In fact, too warm for movies that I opted for something else for mixed movie/music use. And If I were to have just one set in my living room for mixed use, I went slightly above my intended budget and never looked back. Warm enough for music, bright enough for movies, but not exactly neutral. I eventually added matching center and had never been happier. I hope you find the perfect speakers for your needs. Only you can tell when you've heard and found the right one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Been there, done that (as far as I can in my limited area, and this is why I know that, for example, I don't necessarily like horn tweeters for critical music listening). I didn't want to jade the thread with what I think I want, but I'm more looking for things that I have not heard/cannot hear. If it looks intriguing and they have a good return policy, I may try it.
If you haven't already checked it out, google Linkwitz LXmini and see if it piques your interest. For $1K I would rate it as the best 2 channel rig you can get.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
If it were me I'd likely wait for the new Q Acoustics 3050i towers to come out...
Just curious: What are the improvements in the new version over the old, do you know?

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Just curious: What are the improvements in the new version over the old, do you know?
New drivers including decoupled tweeter, new crossover, new cabinet bracing, no extra charge for glossy finishes, more modern styling and a larger cabinet.

Impressively low -6db point is claimed to be 30hz, -3db point same as before at 44hz.

The new cabinet has 64 percent more internal volume mostly due to added depth.

3050i dimensions (HxDxW): 40.2x12.2x12.2

Old 3050 dimensions: Dimensions (H/D/W): 39.37" x 11.73" x 7.87"

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
New drivers including decoupled tweeter, new crossover, new cabinet bracing, no extra charge for glossy finishes, more modern styling and a larger cabinet.

Impressively low -6db point is claimed to be 30hz, -3db point same as before at 44hz.

Huh, extra 4" to the breadbox look...wonder how they sound.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I'm guessing so good they are going to have to work on a new Concept Series.

Oh, and they upped the max recommended amp size on the new 3000 series which likely means better performance at higher volumes.

125 watts for the 3020i vs 75 for the 3020, 165 watts for the 3050i vs 100 for the 3050.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had these and they are wonderful speakers for the price.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus

Aperion lets you try out their speakers for 30 days. If you don't like them, you can return them. They will even pick up the shipping costs.

My tastes are very similar to yours as far as music goes.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
The JBL Studio 580's and 590's go on sale from time to time,either one of these would be great,they have Compression Drivers for upper end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. A few of those do intrigue me, for sure. I'm going to try to put my ears on a few more before I buy, but then again I still may order up a few sets and see which ones I like best.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. A few of those do intrigue me, for sure. I'm going to try to put my ears on a few more before I buy, but then again I still may order up a few sets and see which ones I like best.
Maybe order several to try at home but buy the bookshelf versions to minimize return costs.

Crutchfield has $10/box returns on bookshelves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not go with a powered studio monitor like the jbl lsr308? It may look like a horn but it's really a waveguide. Check it out at your local guitar center or equivalent. Great priced speakers, lots of detail and some roll off options if you think it's too bright out of the box.

Seriously, these offer a lot of detail for an obsurd price

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Some good recommendations so far. For your budget anything from Philharmonic and the Wharfedale's are priced well and have a mellow, warmer sound. As do Aperion Audio speakers. I would certainly also look for something used. Someone just sold a pair of Ryan Audio R610's for only $700 including shipping on another site. If you're patient looking used or open box/closeout is the way to go. Here's a good deal on Quad 23L floorstanders for under $1000 new. And I think you might be able to find new Kef R300's for about $1200 a pair now. That's a great deal if any are still out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When it comes to music, I like some of the older 3 way box speakers. I have a nice pair of Kenwoods that I used to rock out to. Might be to warm, but there are other brands with better mids and highs. If you don't mind that look, it will open more options in your search.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Looking for some bookshelf or floor speakers around the $1K mark (give or take)...May not run a sub if the bass is good enough...looking to upgrade from Elac B6's...(which I do like, but I know there is better).
How about ELAC towers?
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ELDF62 $800/pr
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ELUF5 $1000/pr
A somewhat conflicted choice-I really like the concentric mid/tweet Uni-Fi technology and they sound great, but twin 5" are not "no sub" territory without strain...depending what you're playing I suppose. There are also Uni-Fi Slims in satin black and in white, since the basic Debut black woodgrain looks like, well, vinyl, ugh. ELACs are pretty much plain rectangles though, can you say raw-ther boooring, darling?

Now speakers last a VERY LONG TIME, literally decades, so I think it is well worth it to wait and save up more if at all possible. Then you can get to:
- Wharfedale Reva 4s, which were on sale at Audio Element for $1600/pr. We played a variety of stuff from Aja and Lauren Hill to Rush and it all sounded good. No sub needed.* Lovely looking cabinets, rounded i.e. NOT plain rectangles. Audio Element was playing through a Rogue Sphinx from...jeez, the disc player was a funny looking one, Rega Apollo I believe.

- Monitor Audio Silver 300s. Spent a fabulous couple of hours listening at the lovely Upscale Audio. Everything sounded good, the above stuff plus a session with Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind at levels not ear splitting but quite cranked. Then I put on Motorhead No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith and was quite astounded. No, it was not like when I saw them at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago, but no non-massive speakers would be.* But surprise #1 : cranked up a lot, they did NOT turn all harsh and distorted like so very many speakers would. And the drum fill at the start of "Iron Horse" amazed me: I could hear each distinct drum hit in space with a lot of PUNCH. I actually never knew this recording sounded so clean! Highly highly recommended, $2k/pr. According to some post I saw on sale from Oregon for a chunk less. Rectangular look, but with a mid/tweet aesthetic element that gives visual interest, and some nice finishes including the no-longer-as-common light oak.

- If you wanna go more nuts, Upscale also had Focal Aria 936s which my buddy bought. Those did a 96% imitation of the massive (90" tall, several hundred pound, $296,000 no that's not a misprint!) Von Schweikert Ultra 11s playing Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley" which sounded like a window into the studio. We simply could not believe how good and how coherent the Focals sounded. No hint of "oh there's the tweeter, there's the midrange, there's the woofers." All the same music sounded even better than on the Monitor 300s. $4k is large chunk of change, but worth it if you can swing it. My friend is disconnecting his 12" sub and selling it!* These are fairly rectangular but with a bit of curve and nice finish (or gloss) on the side.

Upscale's setup was Tidal/Roon into Lumin network players into PrimaLuna Prologue -pre+power in the Focal room, integrated in the Monitor room.

*None of these would need a subwoofer, except if you want to play depth charge or explosion movie scenes, or crank heavy metal concerts to live sound levels, or play long organ pipes...actually I bet the organ pipes would be fine...

21 - 40 of 66 Posts