AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looking for some bookshelf or floor speakers around the $1K mark (give or take). This will strictly be for a 2-channel stereo setup. Amp will be, for now, a Yamaha a-s701.

I have a couple in mind, but I wanted to see any other suggestions as I'm probably missing a few good considerations. Unfortunately, there's not a place locally to demo everything that I want to, so I may order a few sets and pic the winner.

What I like:

- detail, good bass response, warm-ish (without being overly warm or muddy)

What I don't like:

- shrill/bright, too bold of a mid/high range, etc.

Music:

- A little bit of everything
- won't be played too loud (aka I don't really need party speakers).

Bookshelf or floorstander doesn't matter as I can go either way. May not run a sub if the bass is good enough. If it helps, I'm looking to upgrade from a set of Elac B6's in this location (which I do like, but I know there is better).
Check out B&W 684 S2.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looking for some bookshelf or floor speakers around the $1K mark (give or take). This will strictly be for a 2-channel stereo setup. Amp will be, for now, a Yamaha a-s701.

I have a couple in mind, but I wanted to see any other suggestions as I'm probably missing a few good considerations. Unfortunately, there's not a place locally to demo everything that I want to, so I may order a few sets and pic the winner.

What I like:

- detail, good bass response, warm-ish (without being overly warm or muddy)

What I don't like:

- shrill/bright, too bold of a mid/high range, etc.

Music:

- A little bit of everything
- won't be played too loud (aka I don't really need party speakers).

Bookshelf or floorstander doesn't matter as I can go either way. May not run a sub if the bass is good enough. If it helps, I'm looking to upgrade from a set of Elac B6's in this location (which I do like, but I know there is better).
The Q Acoustics Concept 40 floorstanding speakers are right at your price range, and they have outstanding reviews:
https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstanding-speakers/concept-40-floorstanding-speaker-pair.html

Some reviews:
https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/concept-40/review
https://www.avforums.com/review/q-acoustics-concept-40-speakers-review.10727
https://theaudiophileman.com/concept-40/

I haven't heard them myself, and they're a bit out of my price range (I'm looking at the new 3050i towers), but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Hope that helps!
Chris

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Check out the NHT C-3. It's the successor of the highly regarded NHT Classic 3.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/16546-c-3-bookshelf-loudspeaker?category_id=1964842-bookshelf-speakers
Here's a review of the C-3
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/nht-c3-bookshelf-speaker-review/
The C-3 is available at a great price on Amazon for $360 each. Normally they are $500 each.
If you search the web, you will find several reviews of the predecessor Classic 3. I have a pair of these and can vouch that they are great speakers.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Already heard and demo'd the Debut 2.0's. Definitely better than the originals in some areas, in others not quite as good. I wanted a speaker that did a bit more this time around though.
These do NOT work well up near the front wall where I'm trying them at this minute. In a sec, I'm bringing them back out into the room where the B6s were. So far, not super impressed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really like Axiom, and for music I love the M22's as they are very neutral. But since you said warm, I'd recommend the M5's (which I use for a theater speaker).

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about ELAC towers?
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ELDF62 $800/pr
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ELUF5 $1000/pr
A somewhat conflicted choice-I really like the concentric mid/tweet Uni-Fi technology and they sound great, but twin 5" are not "no sub" territory without strain...depending what you're playing I suppose. There are also Uni-Fi Slims in satin black and in white, since the basic Debut black woodgrain looks like, well, vinyl, ugh. ELACs are pretty much plain rectangles though, can you say raw-ther boooring, darling?

Now speakers last a VERY LONG TIME, literally decades, so I think it is well worth it to wait and save up more if at all possible. Then you can get to:
- Wharfedale Reva 4s, which were on sale at Audio Element for $1600/pr. We played a variety of stuff from Aja and Lauren Hill to Rush and it all sounded good. No sub needed.* Lovely looking cabinets, rounded i.e. NOT plain rectangles. Audio Element was playing through a Rogue Sphinx from...jeez, the disc player was a funny looking one, Rega Apollo I believe.

- Monitor Audio Silver 300s. Spent a fabulous couple of hours listening at the lovely Upscale Audio. Everything sounded good, the above stuff plus a session with Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind at levels not ear splitting but quite cranked. Then I put on Motorhead No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith and was quite astounded. No, it was not like when I saw them at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago, but no non-massive speakers would be.* But surprise #1 : cranked up a lot, they did NOT turn all harsh and distorted like so very many speakers would. And the drum fill at the start of "Iron Horse" amazed me: I could hear each distinct drum hit in space with a lot of PUNCH. I actually never knew this recording sounded so clean! Highly highly recommended, $2k/pr. According to some post I saw on sale from Oregon for a chunk less. Rectangular look, but with a mid/tweet aesthetic element that gives visual interest, and some nice finishes including the no-longer-as-common light oak.

- If you wanna go more nuts, Upscale also had Focal Aria 936s which my buddy bought. Those did a 96% imitation of the massive (90" tall, several hundred pound, $296,000 no that's not a misprint!) Von Schweikert Ultra 11s playing Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley" which sounded like a window into the studio. We simply could not believe how good and how coherent the Focals sounded. No hint of "oh there's the tweeter, there's the midrange, there's the woofers." All the same music sounded even better than on the Monitor 300s. $4k is large chunk of change, but worth it if you can swing it. My friend is disconnecting his 12" sub and selling it!* These are fairly rectangular but with a bit of curve and nice finish (or gloss) on the side.

Upscale's setup was Tidal/Roon into Lumin network players into PrimaLuna Prologue -pre+power in the Focal room, integrated in the Monitor room.

*None of these would need a subwoofer, except if you want to play depth charge or explosion movie scenes, or crank heavy metal concerts to live sound levels, or play long organ pipes...actually I bet the organ pipes would be fine...
You could consider the previous generation Monitor Audio Silver. There are some very good deals to be had on the Silver 8, S6, as well as S2 and S1 bookshelf speakers. I run the S2 with a Yamaha A-S701, and the results are very good, IMO. I also have the silver 8 in a different 2 channel system, different room. I love MA. I almost bought a pair of Silver 6 because the price was so good, but common sense prevailed. MA are excellent speakers, especially at a discount.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So I have two new candidates in hand. Ironic that someone mentioned Monitor Audio, because...

1) Monitor Audio Silver 100's in black Oak. These are right around my $1K mark.

2) Elac B6.2's. These will eventually be in my 5.1 system on my TV, but for now I'm going to get to the bottom of how they sound in a 2-channel setup.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
So I have two new candidates in hand. Ironic that someone mentioned Monitor Audio, because...

2) Elac B6.2's. These will eventually be in my 5.1 system on my TV, but for now I'm going to get to the bottom of how they sound in a 2-channel setup.
The MAs are easy enough to return at $10/box at Crutchfield to give them a workout.

I'm one of the few partial to WhatHiFi's subjective reviews based on speakers I've listened to at home that they've reviewed.

https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/silver-100/review

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So far, at about 3 hours in the MA silver 100's are sounding really good. I don't know why more manufactures don't use an 8" woofer in their bookshelves. They aren't all that much larger than my B6's but the larger woofer really helps them dig low without effort.

I'm also really impressed with the highs and imaging. Very smooth and no fatigue to speak of. And they aren't even broken in yet.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
So far, at about 3 hours in the MA silver 100's are sounding really good. I don't know why more manufactures don't use an 8" woofer in their bookshelves. They aren't all that much larger than my B6's but the larger woofer really helps them dig low without effort.

I'm also really impressed with the highs and imaging. Very smooth and no fatigue to speak of. And they aren't even broken in yet.
I've only heard one MA speaker and I thought the Gold tweeter was outstanding.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I didn't think my search would be so brief, but if the MA's keep getting better...I see no reason to try others. I'm really liking them so far.

·
Registered
505 Posts

I was initially considering B6.2 in my 2.0ch tube setup, but after auditioning the B6.2 myself at BB and after reading all the feedback in the Elac Debut 2.0 thread (yours and Scott), the B6.2 is a no go. This forum has saved me lot of time and trouble from the Debut 2.0 hype. The MA Silver 100 with it's 8" driver is definitely on my list. I shall wait for your feedback/review as I have no way to demo MAs myself.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I was initially considering B6.2 in my 2.0ch tube setup, but after auditioning the B6.2 myself at BB and after reading all the feedback in the Elac Debut 2.0 thread (yours and Scott), the B6.2 is a no go. This forum has saved me lot of time and trouble from the Debut 2.0 hype. The MA Silver 100 with it's 8" driver is definitely on my list. I shall wait for your feedback/review as I have no way to demo MAs myself.
Interesting, i've read that thread and I thought the new series was getting more pluses than minuses.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
How so? I think I've been pretty positive about them.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I actually ended up doing some swapping with my buddy whose B6.2's I listened to. I wanted a set of 5.1 fronts and the B6.2's should fit that bill well since the bass is being handled by a sub. They aren't as directional as the original Debut's, so they should be better in that situation.

The best way I have to describe the Silver 100's so far is that it's like the Debut B6, only with all of the flaws fixed. Vastly better than the Wharfedale 240's I had in that same space for a while. Those were just "muddy" and full of mid-bass with no real reward of a tight/strong low-end.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
I guess I've been posting most of my updates over here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2960754-elac-announces-debut-2-0-speakers.html

They've been on pretty much since I got them on Wednesday and Thursday and I'm quite happy with them now.

Just raised a little hell with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tim Pan Alley on loudly while I was fixing dinner and they get down and kick ass pretty well.

Top end is extended and detailed for cones and domes, but not bright.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I guess I've been posting most of my updates over here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2960754-elac-announces-debut-2-0-speakers.html

They've been on pretty much since I got them on Wednesday and Thursday and I'm quite happy with them now.

Just raised a little hell with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tim Pan Alley on loudly while I was fixing dinner and they get down and kick ass pretty well.

Top end is extended and detailed for cones and domes, but not bright.
Great song. One of my favorites.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts

I think it is simply harder to sell them. I know Klipsch recently had bookshelves with 8, and in the past, 10 inch woofers. I don't know when they stopped selling the 10 inch ones, but the latest line (RP) dropped the 8 inch version.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually ended up doing some swapping with my buddy whose B6.2's I listened to. I wanted a set of 5.1 fronts and the B6.2's should fit that bill well since the bass is being handled by a sub. They aren't as directional as the original Debut's, so they should be better in that situation.

The best way I have to describe the Silver 100's so far is that it's like the Debut B6, only with all of the flaws fixed. Vastly better than the Wharfedale 240's I had in that same space for a while. Those were just "muddy" and full of mid-bass with no real reward of a tight/strong low-end.
Hi Tk-- do you have the MA Silvers on stands, or on shelf?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts