AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a pioneer sx-434. I do not have any speakers for it. I have done a little research on the receiver and I should use 8 ohm speakers with it. Just curious what everyone's suggestions for speakers are?

Thanks kj4unx

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Reactions: Five28

·
Registered
643 Posts
Small Advents?

Reactions: kj4unx

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I recently acquired a pioneer sx-434. I do not have any speakers for it. I have done a little research on the receiver and I should use 8 ohm speakers with it. Just curious what everyone's suggestions for speakers are?

Thanks kj4unx
Something sensitive- that receiver isn't very powerful. Also, look at where the speakers connect- they used a special part for securing the wires and it may not have the ones it came with.

Speaker plugs-
http://www.classicaudio.com/images/piospkr.gif

Do you want vintage speakers? Look on ebay, here in the classifieds or Audio Karma.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I do understand that what one person likes another may not. Right now all I am going to listen to is the radio mainly 70's- 90's. Later on if everything works out I want another turn table to listen to some old vinyl I have like the Beatles, pink Floyd, led zeppelin and Neil young. As far as how much I want to spend. I was thinking somewhere in the 150-200 dollar range or cheaper if I find something. I know that if you get a good set of speakers and take care of them they will last you a long time. I definitely am not against a couple sets of vintage speakers at all. Matter of fact I really like the idea of vintage everything else in my 120 y/o house is vintage.

kj4unx

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I do understand that what one person likes another may not. Right now all I am going to listen to is the radio mainly 70's- 90's. Later on if everything works out I want another turn table to listen to some old vinyl I have like the Beatles, pink Floyd, led zeppelin and Neil young. As far as how much I want to spend. I was thinking somewhere in the 150-200 dollar range or cheaper if I find something. I know that if you get a good set of speakers and take care of them they will last you a long time. I definitely am not against a couple sets of vintage speakers at all. Matter of fact I really like the idea of vintage everything else in my 120 y/o house is vintage.

kj4unx
Read about the old speakers with good reputation and go to rummage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, pawn shops, etc.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

kj4unx
There's a pair of JBL L100 in Bristol on Craig's List for $400, but that's probably out of the budget. It would definitely give you a vintage sound, though.

DO NOT buy anything like these-
http://asheville.craigslist.org/ele/4921007519.html

There's nothing good about speakers like them and they're made to got attention based on the way they look and not the way they sound, and they sound awful.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about taking so long to respond to the comments for speakers. The only speakers I found local was a pair of Fisher 20. I passed on them for 90 dollars. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of Polk audio T15. I really like the sound of the little speakers. i haven't hooked up the second set but can't wait to hear both pair rocking. I think they sound really good with ac/dc and such.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry about taking so long to respond to the comments for speakers. The only speakers I found local was a pair of Fisher 20. I passed on them for 90 dollars. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of Polk audio T15. I really like the sound of the little speakers. i haven't hooked up the second set but can't wait to hear both pair rocking. I think they sound really good with ac/dc and such.
Good idea passing on the Fishers. My parents have a pair and they sound awful. No highs at all and no real bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts