AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this can be wide ranging but will try to narrow it down.

I have a dedicated home theater room and would like a 7.1 setup.

I really don't want to spend anymore than 6k

The fronts can be floor standing

I've been eyeing the Paradigms Studio 100 with matching surrounds and center

I currently own the Focal 836V and am looking to sale them on Ebay. I mainly use this system for 80% bluray moives and 10% Xbox 360 and 10% Directv.

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok... what do you want to know? What is the size of your room? How many rows of seating? Screen type; acoustically transparent?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I'm not really sure other than the fact I'm looking for the best (in my price range) Home theater speaker system. I have a dedicated home theater in the basement. I have a 100" diag screen using it with a JVC HD550 projector. I also have 2 PC plus subwoofers. One row of seating.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I would give JTR speakers a look for your HT

·
Registered
799 Posts
Best and budget don't always go together well but I think I can make some suggestions that should fit the bill.

Klipsch makes some of the very best theater speakers.

Polk audio very nice affordable theater speakers, excellent clarity and dynamics. Check out the RTIA line , you should be able to put together a pretty killer setup with sub. Also if you can swing just a tad more, look at the RTS THX in walls. I have worked with them and they are a top notch performing theater experience with nothing on the floor. It's really good.

If you look to Paradigm look into the Studio Esprits on wall series. They in my opinion out perform the Studio 100's for theater use. You can get very good placement on wall and they have aimable brackets. I would use them myself and I'm not a huge fan of paradigm but they do have models that excel. These are one of them.

B&W Clarity even response music warmth just about anything anyone could ever want in a speaker. The CM line is amazing. I'm a little depressed there is no bi polar or on wall rear in the series but you can use the on wall DS3 from the 600 line and they will blend in very nicely. If you are going to build this system with more music in mind then use the Cm1 or CM5. Either way you will have an incredible capable system.

Triad will be difficult to get into due to budget but if you can get out there and experience a Triad theater system , you will find ways to get into them. Remarkable probably one of the very top sounding theater speakers in the world at any price. Custom is their game and they do it as good as anyone.

Definitive Technology. If both music and theater experience is what you are after look no further then the Mythos series. If floor standing is your game then with your budget the STS 9 center 9 rears system will really fit the bill. They are remarkable and won audio product of the year I believe now twice in a row. 2008 winner and I thought I just read 2009 as well. There is no reason not to spend some time with these speakers. You will and should be very impressed and will come well into your budget. You might even be able to break into the St 10 center and 10 rear system and still come close to your budget.

Also in the Definitive line , look to the BP series if movies is whats more important. This line is made for thunder and wind. They are designed to recreate the movie Twister in your room. They are so impressive. They can get pricey but check out the entire line. You will find a package that fits your needs here. Exceptional performance. Rear all the reviews of this line, you will find top honors over all reviews. It's very impressive what has been said about this line. They earned it with honor.

That should get you going. Good luck with your search. Take your time and experience many. You will learn what works. Also talk to many custom Installer shops , they know what works as they have in room experience that will become very useful to you. They all will have their favorites as I do but it's the experience thats where the profit will lay.

·
Lifetime Member
1,538 Posts
if you dont mind the looks, i'm sure you can piece together a JTR setup. i went from definitive mythos front stage to a jtr front stage, will be getting jtr surrounds as money permits.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
From JTR's website:

"Available custom wood finishes: Oak, Ash, Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, Birch and Maple"

So I am guessing, JTR speakers doesn't have to be ugly.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You are on the right track looking at Paradigm. Don't be lured into entry stuff by their prices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was wondering what is wrong using the Focals. I am familiar with most of the above mentioned options and the 836s are much better speakers except for the paradigm signatures and they are not in your budget. You need to go out and listen for yourself as most of what was suggested is mediocre at best. I would listen to the Focals in a ht set up then look ay other speakers those mentioned and many that were not. I would listen to PSBs if you trying the paradigms. The B&Ws are nice speakers depending on what you can spend. Monitor audio is another place and though probably over your price rage the Vandersteens. Sonus is to much but they and Dybs can be very nice. It is up to your ears and with so many choices for most people and that much money you need to not ask here but go travel and listen.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulinias /forum/post/18217388

I was wondering what is wrong using the Focals. I am familiar with most of the above mentioned options and the 836s are much better speakers except for the paradigm signatures and they are not in your budget. You need to go out and listen for yourself as most of what was suggested is mediocre at best. I would listen to the Focals in a ht set up then look ay other speakers those mentioned and many that were not. I would listen to PSBs if you trying the paradigms. The B&Ws are nice speakers depending on what you can spend. Monitor audio is another place and though probably over your price rage the Vandersteens. Sonus is to much but they and Dybs can be very nice. It is up to your ears and with so many choices for most people and that much money you need to not ask here but go travel and listen.

Few of the speakers you listed are actually consider great choices for Home Theater.

The thread title did say "BEST speaker for Home Theater" didnt it?

Critical listening deisgn, low SPL, small speakers need not apply for demands of Home Theater.

Notice the OP said zero about music? So this is all about pure performance and pure dynamic ability.

Vandersteens, Focal...blah!!! piece of crap in HT in terms of performance. The 836s can not touch the JTR in any HT comparison. Go back to 2 channel and leave the high end HT discussion to those with experience

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone have reservations about a home theater audio setup using the Definitive Tech BP7000SC System for 5.1? Are there any speaker combinations that compare for the price?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold /forum/post/18215952

I would give JTR speakers a look for your HT

+1 for the JTR's. Next on my list would be the Tweak City Audio Pro 10's (not out yet).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have always been told that the best speakers for home theater are those that have better lower frequency range. But i for one would love to have some JTR speakers

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran /forum/post/18219084

I have always been told that the best speakers for home theater are those that have better lower frequency range. But i for one would love to have some JTR speakers

For HT, a speaker with good low frequency response is a waste because you will not use it. A good sub/subs will do a much better job with the low end.

A good HT speaker has high sensitivity and high power handling.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Obviously we are throwing out our own opinions here, so I'll add mine as well..

Paradigm Studio 100's, cc690, adp590, 20's and sub 12. It's a great system for HT but I don't use this setup for 2 ch. music. But that's not what you're looking for anyway. It's also better when you add a second sub 12.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18216713

You are on the right track looking at Paradigm. Don't be lured into entry stuff by their prices.

While Paradigm certainly makes very musical speakers that are excellent for listening to music, I think the OP was more wanting HT speakers, at least that's the impression I got.

For HT even the Signature S8 with 89db sensitivity wouldn't hold a candle to something like a JTR Triple 12 HT with 101 db sensitivity and 1600 Watts RMS(3200 peak). The JTRs are in a completely different league when it comes to HT. Heck, you could spend upwards of 20 grand on something like the B&W 800d, Revel Salon2, or Aerial 20t and I'd still be willing to bet the JTRs would beat them for HT. No disrespect to those speaker companies, but they are simply targeting a different market(Music Listening).

Some other options to consider would be Mark Seaton's Sparks or some of the lower end Danley Products.

If you want a more recognized brand, klipsch makes good HT speakers(though a little overpriced compared to the others mentioned IMO).

·
Registered
752 Posts
The JTR's are in a whole 'nother league in terms of SPL output and efficiency. A good home theater speaker plays loud (can hit reference levels easily) and handles those 120-130db peaks with room to spare. Not many speakers can do that. From what I've read about the JTR's, few speakers can compare to them for HT performance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshred /forum/post/18219301

Obviously we are throwing out our own opinions here, so I'll add mine as well..

Paradigm Studio 100's, cc690, adp590, 20's and sub 12. It's a great system for HT but I don't use this setup for 2 ch. music. But that's not what you're looking for anyway. It's also better when you add a second sub 12.

That is the system I've been eyeing!!! Except for the sub as I have two PC12-Plus SVS subs. I wish i could listen to that setup. Thanks for the reply

1 - 20 of 26 Posts