AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-V575, Klipsch KB-15 (Icon) bookshelf speakers, Klipsch KC-25 (Icon) center and a Klipsch SW-350 8" subwoofer. I've had this setup for about a year. The system can get loud but that's all it is, loud. I feel I need more depth/clarity/detail. I'm in the market to upgrade everything. My room is approximately 9300 cubic feet... Behind the listening position (living room) is the dining room with windows. I have vaulted ceilings and everything is open. I've been looking at the Def Tech SM65 for LCR and PSA XV15SE x2 for subwoofers. Due to my layout, surrounds are unfortunately out of the question and that makes me pretty sad. I'm going to be posting this thread in other subforums pertaining to the component I'm asking about.

My question for this subforum is- Which speakers fit my situation the best? I'm looking at getting the Denon 4520 from accessories4less. I'm also looking at Def Tech SM65 for LCR, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Ascend Sierra 1, NHT Classic 3.... The Paradigm's are as much as I'd like to spend for a pair of speakers. I will be using these primarily for television and movies. I have an Audioengine setup for my music needs (computer). Any expertise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The Def Tech Studio Monitors are pretty good speakers with surprising bass (which you don't need since you'll be adding a couple of powerful subs). Take a good listen at all the Studio Monitors (I thought the SM-55s were better balanced) and concentrate on their midrange and high end frequencies (on any speaker you audition).

The Ascend Sierra 1s are highly thought of around here and are certainly worth the audition (I haven't auditioned these).

You might want to take a look at XTZ. I don't like their website, but I'd call them for detailed information.
Catalog: http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/speakers

Also, take a look at Jim Wilson's review. To say he thought highly of the system he reviewed would be an understatement: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...iews/84178-xtz-95-24-95-33-w12-18-review.html

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Since you're going with PSA subs why not try their speakers too?

They offer a package discount (I believe) and free shipping both ways. Not that much more than the $450 per speakers you're looking at. They will do a much better job of filling that space, for the times you're not sitting in the main listening position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts