AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading a ton of reviews I have settled on a reciever which is the

Onkyo TX-SR606 - Now I need to know what type of speakers would go well with this reciever. I am by no means an audiophile. I just want good quality sound and nice hard hitting bass when gaming on my pc and watching movies on my other speakers. I'm not sure if this helps for picking speakers, but my music types are rock/rap/ (no live or concert variations *radio versions only and always non-explicit) bass/techno ambedient (no vocals)

I found my reciever available at 6ave for $379.99 WOW!

I am mainly focusing on putting together the pc aspect first, by making sure the sound for pc gaming is up to date first and probably just a nice 2.1 on the tv/dvd/dv-r for now. Though next month I can finally finish off the TV aspect with another $400.00

I do 50% games and only 25/25 of movies and music on tv.

My budget for the whole setup is $800.00 -$379.99 put aside for the TX-SR-606. I hope I bought a nice reciever

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the SR606 is a well respected receiver, but you have not left a lot to spend on your speakers. You can try a 5.1 system of entry level speakers, or start out with a 2.1 system. This can be expanded to a full 5.1 or 7.1 system later when the budget permits.

You could get a pair of Infinity towers from www.frys.com for under $300 shipped. A subwoofer from Velodyne, BIC, or Parts Express "Dayton" brand will slightly exceed the remainder of your budget, but not by much. Just watch for a good sale on each.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/522368...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night I was looking at Polk Audio RTi 8's, 6's, 4's, and also the RM6750 $179.99 satellites and center only -subwoofer.

For the time being would 2x RTi 8's provide good sound here?

You can see pictures of the room setup, by going to my other post in the forum. Statistics/Find all threads.

Due to some 3 post rule I cannot post the url here.

I shot the picture from the exact viewing angle and distance the tv is normally watched/listened from, but when I do eventually get a newer refurbished tv I am going to center it with where the dresser on the right is. Back to the speakers though.

What about if I bought 1x RTi 12 this month then bought 1x RTi 12 next month.The viewing center is approximately 12.8 feet, within 6 months I plan on putting a cheap refurbished 1080p 50" tv in this ones place.

Would these two tower speakers provide enough sound for this room?

18 x 15 x 8

I was looking into this as an entry level setup. The problem is I can't exactly go out and listen to this stuff, I live out in the sticks where the only real store we have is a walmart and some other small shops.

Here is the setups I was looking into:

RM6750 $179.99 and 1x PSW10 $83.99

2x RTi8's, 1x CSi5, 2x RTi4' and 1x PSW10. (Built over two months)

4x RTi8's (Built over two months)

4x RTi12's (Built over four months)

I don't have to stay with polk audio, but from reading various reviews on the net I found out most reviews always combine polk audio speakers with the TX-SR606 and the RX-V663.

I'm 90% sure I'm going with the OnkyoSR606, but I notice that at Crutchfield the Yamaha RX-V663 is the top seller. I only bring these two up, because almost every review I read combined polk speakers with the setup. I did alot of reading into budget systems yesterday, but I am still no closer to choosing the right setup. I'm placing the order for my gear either today or tommarrow and so far I only have the reciever chosen. 1x RX-V663 or 1x SR606. It would be really great if I could get some help in picking a good setup, since my reciever will be here tuesday. Being an amazon prime member - I can have anything overnighted for $3.99 and 6 ave + many other stores are a partner to amazon prime membership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just another 2 cents if you like local pickup and there is a Hhgregg near you. I picked up the Onkyo 606 for $370 (including 9.25% TN tax) and a 5.1 set of Klipsch Quintet III for $350 including tax (with no subwoofer, I already had one). I did have to work on them with the price to get them down that far, but they were ready to make a sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts