AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best stand alone DVD Recorder for my money? I really want the E-100 but wish I could get it for like $500 lol. Anyone have any links for really good deals on any of the good DVD Recorders?

-Joe

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Without knowing your intended purpose, I can't say if the E80 etc is best for you but I have one and love it. Some fav sites of mine are computers4sure.com, ecost.com, newegg.com

From my readings, you can trust them to deliver as promised. Good luck and enjoy.

Also don't forget new ones are coming out in a few months, search forum for specifics.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I kind of wanted to backup certain shows. Like Joan of Arcadia, I have been saving on my TiVo for future backing up. I'm still kind of torn. Half of me wants to get it and think it would be cool but the other half thinks its a lot of money and what are the chances of me ever watching the dvd's ever again. I was also thinking hmm people sell seasons of Carnivale and Six Feet Under that are not out on DVD yet on ebay for $60 and maybe I could do that but then I heard somewhere that it is not legal so that may not be a good idea. People sell them all the time on there though.

I also just pre ordered an HD DirecTiVo that will bee $899 when it comes out in March and I need to get an OTA and some more satellite lines installed so I will need to save money up for that. I was looking and I can get the E-100 for $811 or the E-80 for $502 but then I am like why spend that much on an E-100 I may not even use it that much but then why spend $502 on the E-80 when for only $309 more I could get more features and a faster burner.

Ahhh! I drive myself crazy lol.

-Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a DMR-E80H and love it like the earlier poster. It was in my budget (as much as I'd have liked the 100 it was just too much for me at the time), the features and performance are exactly what I need.

As far as Ebay goes, I wouldn't count on burning DVDs of stuff not yet on disc and making a profit out of it.....sure it might go for top dollar but chances are good that those sellers are going to be caught, and caught fast.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
eBay rules clearly state that any recordable media sold on eBay must be blank....

...and selling copyrighted material is not only against their laws, but illegal. I am sure if a studio asks eBay will quickly give up their name of someone selling illegal material.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, ok I figured the Ebay thing was to good to be true. I was searching everywhere for season two and three of Six Feet Under and Seasons one of Carnivale but only found it on Ebay and when I saw the price and all the bidders I was like woah, I didn't want to spend that much on copied DVD's myself but then I was like hmm I could do that and make a bundle. Oh well guess I will scrap that idea lol. Thanks for the info I could of gotten into some big trouble.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephR
Well I kind of wanted to backup certain shows. Like Joan of Arcadia, I have been saving on my TiVo for future backing up. I'm still kind of torn. Half of me wants to get it and think it would be cool but the other half thinks its a lot of money and what are the chances of me ever watching the dvd's ever again. I was also thinking hmm people sell seasons of Carnivale and Six Feet Under that are not out on DVD yet on ebay for $60 and maybe I could do that but then I heard somewhere that it is not legal so that may not be a good idea. People sell them all the time on there though.

I also just pre ordered an HD DirecTiVo that will bee $899 when it comes out in March and I need to get an OTA and some more satellite lines installed so I will need to save money up for that. I was looking and I can get the E-100 for $811 or the E-80 for $502 but then I am like why spend that much on an E-100 I may not even use it that much but then why spend $502 on the E-80 when for only $309 more I could get more features and a faster burner.

Ahhh! I drive myself crazy lol.

-Joe
You already got the right answer on trying to make $ from the E80, no bucks are worth it when the money just has to go to your lawyer anyways. I have a bunch of stuff on tivo and now am in the process of archiving stargate from beginning to end (thanks scifi for starting at the beginning again!) So I'd say the E80 would make sense if you have shows that you may want to watch again in a few years because someday they will take all our series off the air. Also there are some movies worth watching and if you are really unsure you want them permanently, just unload to RAM or keep on the E80 HD.

I have to laugh at your comment -e100 is $309 more - because unless you need the features, that's quite an upgrade price :)

Congrats on the HD tivo. I'd research on this board if/when you will be able to record high def on dvd (can you tell I know nothing about it LOL) because if you are into that, I'd probably wait until such an animal comes out if it's not too far away.

You have a lot of decisions, good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really think the E80H is better the the E100HS the reason It has a better burner from what I have read the E100HS is picky when it come's to 4X media and it does not let you burn slow if you are getting crash's. I would rather buy two E80H then have one E100HS

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the E80 myself and really like it as well. The 80 GB harddrive holds lots of material at SP and the rest of the features of the 100 just don't sell it for me...I think if you really want serious editing/authoring features, you need to go PC anyway.

I have made 15 or so disks since getting the E80 and no coasters (using vebatim). I'm trying an off brand I got a deal on, I'll let you know how that goes.

Of course, the high def recorders are coming out or maybe you can buy one now (lots of $ when they do hit the streets).

Anyway, I like the E80 and have no problems recommending it...just the manual sucks...

·
Registered
86 Posts
About Ebay: Ebay can only cancel your listing and suspend you IF you try to list the same material again. They are just as responsible for the selling of illegal material since they are the contact and source for the selling and bidding. Ebay has a ton of disclaimers present but if somehow your illegal item stills gets posted without them catching it, they are still responsible.

No one would ever get prosecuted for selling a few sketchy items here and there. I have sold many things that are probably considered illegal on Ebay with only the occasional cancellation and "vero notice" which is a request from an outside source to halt the auction. I just never list it again and move on to the next item. I never mess with any big time companies, only made VHS tranfers of movies not on DVD yet. Last year I made a small fortune selling transfers of LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN and PUMPING IRON before they sadly made it out on DVD. I stopped selling them as soon as the release date came out. There are also many ways around the system to cover your own ass but that's a whole different conversation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm interesting. Another thing I wondered about is when people order them and get them, at least with the Six Feet Under and Carnivale it said nothing of a dvd-r or home made DVD. They also had like a picture that looked like a cover. So people must think its the real thing and maybe thats why its not getting canceled but I know HBO has not released those seasons on DVD yet, tons of people are waiting. You can buy the DVD Movie cases and Case inserts, I do that now but when the people get the movies and find out its a DVD-R I would think some may be upset and leave negative feedback. In your auctions did you state that it was a VHS to DVD copy?

-Joe

·
Registered
86 Posts
no, I just use the word "transfer". I get a lot of "questions for seller" and I tellthem exactly what they are getting. Most know what they are getting especially since they have searched the web and have not found the official release anywhere. I have come across very few unhappy winners but I always offer a refund that covers my ass in the feedback department. I only have 2 negatives out of 600, and those were from people who never contacted me first about there problem.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm new to the DVD recording business but I am an aggressive bargain hunter, so with that I used Pricescan.com and found a good deal at Vanns.com. They were out of stock and I had 6th ave price match it today, low 500 range with free shipping. I think that is a pretty good deal.

I am using the GX7 to back up my tivo. It is a lot of manual work to delete the commercials but the recordings are fantastic!!!

The pausing I do is seamless. Naming the disc and titles is very easy.

This is my first experiance with recording but I think I made the right choice! :D :) :cool:

·
Registered
651 Posts
newsposter, the SG-1 on DVD box sets are anamorphic, if you are a fan, might as well get the DVDs. They're only plus minus $40 a set.

I recorded the Roswell series, but have skipped a few episodes here and there, and it can be a pain to wait to rerecord them.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustinCheckin
newsposter, the SG-1 on DVD box sets are anamorphic, if you are a fan, might as well get the DVDs. They're only plus minus $40 a set.

I recorded the Roswell series, but have skipped a few episodes here and there, and it can be a pain to wait to rerecord them.
But that takes all the FUN out of it! I got my index all setup and a nice system worked out and it gives my life meaning LOL. Sooo...How many disks a set and how many eps per disk, I'm curious. And does anamorphic mean my 7 yr old 46 incher will or will not have those nasty black bars?

Still learning

me

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Say newsposter, won't you also be missing all the years that SG was on Showtime?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newsposter
But that takes all the FUN out of it! I got my index all setup and a nice system worked out and it gives my life meaning LOL. Sooo...How many disks a set and how many eps per disk, I'm curious. And does anamorphic mean my 7 yr old 46 incher will or will not have those nasty black bars?
generally 4 or 5 eps to a (dual layer) disc with 5 discs per set. No obnoxious SciFi logos, no stupid insutling crawls and no smuck announcer talking over the end credits.

If by those 'nasty black bars' do you mean 'will the picture be exactly as filmed and recorded without chopping off 6 inches of picture on each side and be the way the director meant it to be seen, just like seasons 6 7 are being shown now..."

then yes, it will be proper widescreen. the only thing 'nasty' is the thought that you are losing something by having it 'right'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.