AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best stand alone DVD for the D-ILA. VGA out and 1365 x 1024 setting if possible?

I remember seeing a cheap progressive DVD player a while back with VGA out. Is anyone using this or is everybody still using HTPCs?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Daewoo DVG-9000N is a cheaper DVD player with VGA out. It won't look great on DILA due to its mediocre scaler. I would recommend HTPC for best PQ. If you must have a STB DVD player, Momitsu v880 with DVI-I which can output 720p or 1080i through VGA using a $7 DVI->VGA pin adaptor (not transcoding anything merely adjusting the pins). It does not require HDCP and is region free (not sure if it's MV free or not). You can get it overseas from HiVizone for $280 shipped ($80 shipping from the far east and may take 2 weeks--ouch). There are also other players which can do VGA out (mostly Chinese players but quality is questioned). Another option is to buy a scaler and use any plain old 480i DVD player to match DILA's SXGA resolution (like the $400 Imagemax AVT-3750 or CS-HD for $900 for example).

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Skyworth 1050p has vga out, but only outputs NTSC as 640 x 480 60hz, and PAL as 800 x 600 75hz.

HTPC, Momitsu or Huey's suggestion look like your best bet. Hivizone have some other players listed with vga, but I think the Nintaus has the same limitations as the Skyworth.

Gary.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I tried the V880 on my M20 D-ILA and thought it looked reasonably good, but my PC with TheaterTek looked better to my eyes. I haven't compared to other VGA players.

Tryg,

I know it is a little bit of a drive, but you are welcome to come up and try out the V880 if you want.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Skyworth looks like a worthy purchase for only a couple hundred bucks.

I just went and bought a new motherboard and processor for just over $200 so I'm going to try to revive my HTPC. If I get fed up with that I'll just go the standalone route and the Skyworth looks like a good possibility.

Thanks!

Darin, how much is the Momitsu V880?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would thing outputting 720p or 1080i should slam most HTPCs. Do you think it can beat my Geforce 2?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
I would thing outputting 720p or 1080i should slam most HTPCs. Do you think it can beat my Geforce 2?
Why would you think that? An HTPC can do the same, plus the latest ATI cards are amazing. I'm pretty certain that the deinterlacers in the current crop of DVI DVD players, excluding the Samsung, are simple flag readers, whereas the Radeon 9800 has hardware-based MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, color space conversion, and motion-adaptive deinterlacing and frame rate conversion according to their web site.

Quote:
Do you think it can beat my Geforce 2?
Almost definitely. The Geforce series was never really well known for its 2D image quality. I have a Geforce3 in my current work PC and it's pretty soft.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, what rationally priced Vid card would be a nice upgrade?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
A Redeon 7500 with DVI output is dirt cheap, handles custom resolutions (I used 1400x1050 via DVI with PowerStrip on an SX21 with great results), and should blow away your Geforce even with VGA.

Just make sure you buy one that's labeled as "Built by ATI" and not "Powered by ATI".

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
There's a slight improvement with the 9600 apparently - better mpeg de-blocking IIRC. If you decide to plump for that one, get the non Pro version, as it's fanless. If you decide to stick with the 7500, ensure it doesn't have a fan on it. They can be quite noisy.

Either card will give you a great picture though. :)

Gary.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I took the fan off my 7500 and put a passive sink in its place. It doesn't get even that warm.

Also, I believe all the Powered by ATI ones can be flashed with the real firmware... There is some site with the info.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tryg,

what motherboard and cpu did you upgrade it to? my htpc is 3 years old and I need to upgrade the MO and CPU as well. thanks

seng

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have a Mobitsu v880 DVD player connected to my Dukane 9015 D-ILA display's RGB input via DVI (with adapter).

While a latter model HT-PC is apt to perform better, is hard to pass up the ease that playing with this quirky DVD machine brings to the end user, particularly in view of its dirt cheap price.

While image quality is not quite what I get from the v880 player and a Sony KV-40BXR800 40" direct view set combo (doing 1080i), it still holds amazingly well when projected onto a 12 foot wide scope screen.

With something like Columbia's new Lawrence Of Arabia Superbit and VE Digital (the filmed stuff) DVDs as signal sources one can swear is HD what's being shown (of course is not; for real HD I rely on digital tapes! :D ).

I'll be playing with this set up until I manage to get my old GForce card-equipped HT-PC upgraded with better performing goodies...

-THTS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.