AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. Read alot of very useful information in this forum, and now I have a question of my own to pose. I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get a HD receiver and I would like to know which one would work best with my Elite 610HD tv set? I currently have the SA2000HD thru Time Warner but I feel like I'm missing out on so much content with the local channels thru OTA and HDNet.

Just wondering because I've read some other posts where people mention that a certain brand of stb works best with a certain type of set because of a line doubler or whatever else. Also, I'm kinda new to this so please take it easy on me :D

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Chad

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Elite works well with the DTC-100....I tried the Toshiba but it darkened my picture so much that I had to set contrast/black level to about 80% of max. The channel guide is slower than the Toshiba but the picture is just as good if not better. I use the RGB connection and am *very* pleased with the color and color balance for HD channels....I mention this specifically because, of course, you can't change the color when you use the RGB connection. I haven't tried the other STBs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am using an Elite 510HD with a Toshiba DST-3000 and it works great. Have not had any brightness or contrast issues.

My set is also ISF calibrated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an Elite 510HD also. I used an RCA DTC-100 for a couple of years with the RGB input and recently switched to the Toshiba DST-3000. I like the Toshiba better with it's integrated advanced program guide. You can change channels from DirecTv to OTA directly with the Toshiba; with the RCA you have to switch modes first. The Tosh is also a lot faster in changing channels and bringing up the guide.

I have not seen any difference in contrast or brightness. Upconverted 480i progamming from DirecTv is output as 540P on the RCA and 1080i on the Toshiba. Both suck. On both boxes the 480i output via S-video is superior.

I got my Toshiba from Onecall for $575. I have heard rumors of a replacement "soon" form Toshiba. Keep in mind the DST-3000 was delayed for almost TWO YEARS from it's announcement.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since you asked what is the "best" I would recommend the Zenith DTV 1080 set top box "STB". You will not have to worry about the switch issue on the back of the unit, just set it for 1080 and forget about it. These are hard to find and an upgraded model is due out this summer. There are a number of advances over the DTC-100, a more convenient program guide but picture quality is at or near the top for all the stb's available.

If you are in a hurry, try and find an open box dtc-100 and use it for the next year or so, then you will have time to evaluate all the issues and newer products coming out this year. Randy

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Elite is also ISF calibrated. I'm glad the other Elites here have not been darkened by the Toshiba, however, I'm not the only one with the problem. My search of hometheaterforum.com and ***************.com turned up two similar setups with results like mine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it is inaccurate to stick a label of "the best" on this subject unless you have experience with all the possible stb's.

My calibrated 610 is fed from a dish 6000 with ota card. The 610 likes this combo because of the 'lock on full' issue when a progressive signal is detected.

With the 610 locked on full, the 6000 then has several different stretch modes to choose from. I'm not going to be so bold to declare the 6000 the best because of this, but I know of no other stb that does it. There are buckets of other pro/con issues all of which were trumped by... Will big brother approve the merger?

If you're after HDNET then Direct is the way to go (can't use the 6000 w/direct) but I think it will find it's way to Dish before long. Sounds like Discovery has.

All in all, a frustrating and confusing situation but in the end, it is worth it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a DTC100 connected to my Elite 620's input 3 via a 15 pin VGA cable. I find the picture quality on HD broadcasts (HBO HD, Showtime HD and HDnet) to be outstanding.

The NTSC picture quality is OK but not great on the DTC100 because of the slightly (vertically) stretched picture presented by the 620 on Input 3. This is not an issue for me because I watch NTSC TV on Inputs 1 and 2 via two other DirecTV STB's and only use the DTC100 for HD.

I am not that wild about the DTC100 on screen menu's but this too is not an issue with me because I use the program guides in my two ReplayTV 3060's for program searches and channel changes rather than the DTC100.

In 2001, when I began my search for an HD STB, my retailer advised me to await the new Panasonic or Sony STB instead of the DTC100 because of some software anomalies in the RCA product, but the $549.00 DTC100 price versus the others at $800.00 made the decision a no brainer for me. As it turned out, if you bought the DTC100 after 2Q 2001 which I did, the upgraded software corrected the problems I was advised to avoid.

I have also seen many posts here at AVS warning of fan noise on some brands of STB's (Panny and Sony among them). If there is a fan/blower in the DTC100, I have never heard it. You might want to research this before making your final selection as blower noise can be a real issue with some users.

From my perspective, the DTC100 is relatively inexpensive at $549.00 and is both reliable and quiet. The poster above who suggested catching an open box special at a reduced price is right on. I like my DTC100 and endorse his suggestion.

Good luck.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.