AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a STB to go along with my Mits 46809 HDTV.

What is the best one out that will work with my TV? and the best priced?

I also will need an antenna....medium directional....best one? price?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unfortunately, only a few STb's are now being manufactured. My guess would be: 1 - integrated decoders into HDTV's; and 2 - manufacturers are awaiting a decision on standards.

Nonetheless, Hughes is still making the E86 - you can check this BB and others to get opinions. Also, RCA and Toishiba.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have the same set as you; when you see the full blown splendor of 1080i resolution, you'll never be satisfied with less.. A Home Theater PC is the answer to your question.

See the AVS forum, just above this one.

Or, go to http://www.digitalconnection.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a Mitsubishi 55809 (same year model as yours) and I ended up getting the Hughes e86. From what I understand, it is exactly like the Mitsubishi stb and I tend to believe it since it comes set up to control the Mitsubishi TV without any needed setup.

With 2 button pushes, you can go from 1080 output to 480i and the Mitsubishi automatically picks it up without having to change any channels or inputs.

The previous poster is right. Once you see tv in 1080 ( or even 740 upconverted to 1080), you won't want to watch anything else.

It's been over a month with the Hughes and I still can't get over the picture I receive on HDNet, HBO and my local digital station.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a Mits 46807 and use the Dish 6000 satellite system with its OTA (over-the-air) module and it outputs 1080i to my set from the local stations and it looks beautiful.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If you want DISH Network, your only choice is the Dish 6000. If you want DIRECTV the Hughes is the best receiver for a Mits TV, as stated above.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,

In just three months Mits will release the Promise Module that will add OTA HDTV turner, IEEE1394 Firewire ports with 5C and HAVi control, Digital Audio Out, other goodies to your Mits HDTV.

Dish is planning on releasing an STB with Firewire ports.

You will be able to record HD using an D-VHS with the Promise Module.

And when Dish comes out with that new STB, you will be able to record HBO and Showtime in true HD.

I am on the list for the Promise Module.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much is the "promise module" going to be?

Is there a waiting list for it, or is it just going to be come and get it?

Steve

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,

The Promise Module has to be installed by a Mitsubishi Service Tech. Your local Mitsubishi Service Center will have to come out to your home and installed.

Final priceing has not been release, but cost and intallation will be less then $1K.

I know that a lot money for the Promise Module but considering what it adds to the HD-Set it may while be the best bargin of the dacade.

When I purchase my WT-46807 last year, I made plans to purchase the Promise Module and Mits D-VHS. I just got the D-VHS VCR yesterday and I have the money in the bank collecting interst for the Promise Module. I think there will be rush for Promise Module and D-VHS VCR when the PM is relased in September or October. So to beat the rush I went ahead and got the VCR.

With the Promise Module, I will be able to record an HD show, while watching another HD show using my current STB the Mits SR-HD5 STB.

So you could buy anther STB now and add the PM and D-VHS this fall!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
I know that a lot money for the Promise Module but considering what it adds to the HD-Set it may while be the best bargin of the dacade.
Bruce,

I know you have been a big supporter for the "promise" module, but I still don't see how you think $1000 is a bargin for an OTA tuner w/ firewire. Samsung has a OTA receiver w/firewire for a retail price of $699.
Quote:
In June, Samsung will offer its first over-the-air digital set-top converter box incorporating a full digital interface for connection to similarly configured DTV display monitors. Model SIR-T165 will offer all of the features of the SIR-T151 and will add a Digital Visual Interface (DVI) connector, which will be protected with the HDCP copy-protection system and an IEEE-1394 interface with DTCP protection.

The box, which will carry a $699 suggested retail price, will also include tuners for NTSC and cable TV signals (QAM) in addition to the digital ATSC tuner/decoder.
What does the promise module do that a less expensive standalone STB does not except for HAVi? I have Mits. 55857 and at this point I can't see how paying a $1000 for an OTA HD tuner is a good deal. Maybe I'm missing something. I might pay $1000 for a OTA/Directv STB w/firewire though, but even that seems steep considering I paid less than $600 for an RCA DTC100 (OTA/Directv) 2 years ago and the only thing missing is firewire.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.