AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I haven't seen all the movies that are based off of S.K.'s novels, but I have read nearly all of them. I did watch one last night though, Hearts In Atlantis. and I was disappointed. It seems that many movie makers do a bad job of translating his books to the big screen, but their are some exceptions.

The Shinning

Misery

Green Mile

Stand By Me

Shawshank

Anyone else have a favorite?

~ Jay

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If we look at what are the best movies based on a SK work, I think Shawshank Redemption stands head and sholders above all the rest. It is the only one that really qualifies as a "great" film.

However, there's a slightly differnet question: What is the best "Stephen King Movie." Although Shawshank is besed on a SK short story, it just ins't a Stephen King Movie, to me at least. So what is the best? Carrie. Better than all the rest - I can't believe you left it off the list. However, I've got to admit that I've never had the guts to watch Misery. My wife keeps telling me how good it is, but the whole sledghamer/knee thing just gives me the creeps.

PS - Am I the only person who really dislikes The Shining?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I think the adaptation that is most effective at capturing King's writing was The Stand tv miniseries. In fact, I think the miniseries format actually works better than a theatrical film for many of his longer books. It and Storm of the Century come to mind as benefitting from the longer format.

Kubrick's The Shining was a great movie in it's own right, but was not a good representation of King's book. The miniseries was a more accurate rendition.

Of the theatrical films I think Misery, Christine, and Dolores Claiborne are the best at capturing King's work.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salmoneous, I did leave out Carrie, I liked the book but the movie just didn't live up to it. In my opinion.

Steve S, the miniseries format was the only way to do The Stand justice, just because of it's length.

I have noticed one thing, can anyone think of s.k. movie that was more violent or disturbing than the book? an example would be the "Sisters" in Shawshank, they were more vicious and cruel in the book than the movie.

~ Jay

·
Registered
465 Posts
What happened to Cujo...that was a good adaptation I thought even given the "feel good" ending.

jack

PS I thought The Shining was very poor also.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
I've read the majority of SK's work and obviously make a point to see any films based on his works.

IMO, the only film that was 99% true to the book was "The Green Mile".

Many of the other movies mentioned earlier have their good/bad points. But IMO when I read a book, I am usually disappointed in the movie adaptaions.

BTW... I just finished "Dreamcatcher" last week(thoroughly enjoyed it too!). I've got $50 that says I will be disappointed with the movie.

SSDD

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Having never read anything by Stephen King, I am not competent to comment, but back in the eighties, when there were few adaptations, people I knew who had read his stuff claimed that The Dead Zone was the most faithful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The movie Maximum Overdrive...In the limited extras section of the DVD

they talk about this..being that his books to movies weren't dead on,

however M/O was directed by non other than himself and he wanted to do it because he wanted to have fun with it ,with the slight

humor tones and horror and a rock (AC/DC) soundtrack...speaking of which

it is probably one the most outlandish flicks I've ever seen/ own...by the way, the transfer is not bad from the era from which it was produced.

This DVD is hard to come by..if you see it, pick it up and give it a spin , it's great popcorn flick.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Shawshank - hands down.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
[McLaughlin Group]

WRONGGGG!! The answer is "The Shining! Not the most faithful adaptation but the most pleasing film of the bunch. Next topic!!

[/McLaughlin Group]

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Shawshank is one of my top three favorites of all time. One movie I'd like to see be adapted for the screen would be Eyes of the Dragon, or the Dark Tower Series.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BigguyZ
Shawshank is one of my top three favorites of all time. One movie I'd like to see be adapted for the screen would be Eyes of the Dragon, or the Dark Tower Series.
Eye of the Dragon is coming to the big screen, but I think it will be in animation.

The Dark Tower, simply put, the BEST book(s) King as ever written, and the best I have ever read from any author. Don't even bother to argue this point, you will be wrong. :D

BigguyZ, you bring up an interesting topic, The Dark Tower as a Movie? To be honest and true to the book, the movie would have to be done in 5 or 6 parts at 2 hrs. each. Don't know if anyone would take on such a massive epic. But if I could pick my director for this movie, it would be non other than Peter Jackson, who directed Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're including TV serials (and I also liked The Stand), then how about "It"? Of course it didn't measure up to the great book, but none of these has.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My Favorite Stephen King movies are The Stand, the orginal Shining and It. I never read any of his novels, since I don't like to read much. Reading is just something I can't do, I can't look at a bunch of words and try to make them exciting. Rose Red and Storm of the Century were also two good miniseries, both of which on on DVD.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
[McLaughlin Group]

WRONGGGG!! The answer is "The Shining! Not the most faithful adaptation but the most pleasing film of the bunch. Next topic!!

[/McLaughlin Group]
While you MAY be joking, I find it funny that you pick the one movie that King was so displeased with that he remade it himself 17 years later.

As far as faithful adaptations, from King himself, he claims (on the DVD's documentory) that his personal favorite is Stand By Me.:)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srgilbert
While you MAY be joking, I find it funny that you pick the one movie that King was so displeased with that he remade it himself 17 years later.

As far as faithful adaptations, from King himself, he claims (on the DVD's documentory) that his personal favorite is Stand By Me.:)
Well, the way I said it was joking, but really, I like it the best. I acknowledge that it's a loose adaptation and I can see why King as the author would have problems with it but I thought the mini-series bit. I hadn't been thinking about Stand By Me but actually I would rank it a close second, with Misery and Shawshank right behind. Then The Stand miniseries, which suffers from the same lame ending the book had. Then, probably Pet Semetary (which I think may be his best book) and Needful Things. Then the rest.

Oh, D'oh- forgot Delores Clayborne. I'll let it round out the top 5 :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Christine is one of my favourite S.K. books, the film wasn't bad in it's own way. :cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.