AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to use two Polk RTi10 speakers for a 2.0 setup for music. Would any of the following stereo receivers be a good match: Onkyo TX-8050, YAMAHA R-N500, Denon DR-AN5? Any other receivers I should consider?

Also, am I right to assume that getting a 2 channel receiver is better than getting an AVR in the same budget range?

I have heard comments that the Polk RTi10 are more on the "bright" side. I assume I should look for a receiver more on the "warm" side??

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotRichard  /t/1524352/best-stereo-receiver-for-polk-rti10-speakers-for-music#post_24530746

Hi, I would like to use two Polk RTi10 speakers for a 2.0 setup for music. Would any of the following stereo receivers would be a good match: Onkyo TX-8050, YAMAHA R-N500, Denon DR-AN5? Any other receivers I should consider?

Also, am I right to assume that getting a 2 channel receiver is better than getting an AVR in the same budget range?

No, you are exactly wrong. I know of no situation where a 2 channel receiver is a better value than an AVR in the price range from $100 and up. IME AVRs work brilliantly as 2-channel receivers. You just tell them that there are only the L & R speakers and they figure out what to do.
Quote:
I have heard comments that the Polk RTi10 are more on the "bright" side. I assume I should look for a receiver more on the "warm" side??

The sound quality of speakers is highly dependent on the room that they are playing in. Trying to predict the sound of your speakers in your room from random comments on the internet is probably not the best idea.

Virtually every mainstream AVR > $200 has some kind of automated system tuning facility that will adapt itself if there are serious sonic unbalances in your system. So if we accept the idea that RTi10s are congenitally bright, most if not all of the reasonable alternative mainstream AVRs will adapt. That's not true of as high of a proportion of 2 channel receivers.

And to head off the next common question - why is it that you get so much more hardware in the box with a cheaper AVR? It is all about economies of scale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a bit surprised that hear that AVRs are a better choice in your view but I see the reason in your point. I do have an Onkyo AVR at home. The sound wasn't too good when I first tried it but maybe I should play around a bit more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts