AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texonfire /forum/post/0

I have found these types of questions simply won't get answered unless you give everyone an idea of your budget.

I don't want to spend anymore than $400 for a stereo receiver.

I don't mind spending about $1000 for two bookshelf/floorstanding speakers.

· Registered
80 Posts
If your $400 limit is strict for the AV receiver, its hard to go wrong with the Onkyo 604. IMO however I would take $200 from the speaker budget and get the Onkyo 674. You can still get some great floorstanders for 800/pair. The difference in what you can get for $200 more is much greater in a receiver than in speakers at the price point you are talking about, if that makes sense.

As for speakers in that range, I'd recommend Polk RTi8's. Less than 800 for the pair...on amazon.

To answer your question Onkyo vs Denon... I think in the price range you are looking, Onkyo is a no brainer, better features for the money... though both are "can't miss" brands.

Good Luck - Steve

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texonfire /forum/post/0

If your $400 limit is strict for the AV receiver, its hard to go wrong with the Onkyo 604. IMO however I would take $200 from the speaker budget and get the Onkyo 674. You can still get some great floorstanders for 800/pair. The difference in what you can get for $200 more is much greater in a receiver than in speakers at the price point you are talking about, if that makes sense.

As for speakers in that range, I'd recommend Polk RTi8's. Less than 800 for the pair...on amazon.

To answer your question Onkyo vs Denon... I think in the price range you are looking, Onkyo is a no brainer, better features for the money... though both are "can't miss" brands.

Good Luck - Steve

Yeah, I don't want a 5.1/7.1 surround sound receiver, just stereo.

Would the Infinity Beta 50's be a better choice if I didn't want to buy a subwoofer?

· Registered
2,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBatty /forum/post/0

I don't want to spend anymore than $400 for a stereo receiver.

I don't mind spending about $1000 for two bookshelf/floorstanding speakers.

Speakers are the most important factor in any set up!! If I had to budget myself 30% towards avr and 70% towards speakers. Your speakers should be the determining factor on how much power is needed
. Most people place to much thought on their receivers, when in actual fact most 8 ohm rated avr's can drive any speaker, but if the speakers aren't good then it doesn't matter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.