AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the Title says, I am looking for the best projector I can get for under $800

Thank you

·
Registered
453 Posts
Please describe your needs:

Light-controlled room?

What content will you be viewing?

Placement flexibility?

etc...

A little info will allow an accurate answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Treepop made the post for me.

1. The room will be completely darkened.

2. It will be used pretty much only to watch DVDs. Maybe play a few old school games (think Age of Wonders) from my PC.

3. The projector will be mounted on the ceiling though it would be nice for it to be easily detachable.

The room is about 10ft/10ft and I am not sure whether wired or wireless woudl be best.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Honestly, I think many would just say buy the Optoma HD65 and be done. You can get it from the sponsors, above, or many other places.

Mounting it in the back of your room will project an 84" or more image (depending on how far back you go).

Go buy it & be happy!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Check out the threads on the LG HS-201 / LG HS-200 (same pjs, list price $500), which uses 30.000 hours LEDs for illumination, has native resolution higher than dvds (800x600), amazing colors due to LEDs, pretty good contrast ratio/excellent shadow detail, HDMI, etc, etc.

And if you think that "only" 200 lumens is not enough, you might be as surprised as the rest of us who bought the unit and who are delighted by its brightness and overall perfomance.

Better yet, if you can afford waiting a couple more months for its replacement, the LG HX-300G LED projector will have higher resolution (1024x768) and higher 300 lumens output...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw the Samsung SP401 at Microcenter yesterday for $400. 170 lumens should be enough for completely darkened environment and 800x600 enough for DVDs although gaming might be an issue..

·
Banned
157 Posts
The Eiki T1600 is still being manufactured and can be purchased online for $800 (just google). The T1600 is brother to the Sharp Z3000 and the Marantz VP4001. The Eiki comes with a 3 year/6000 hour warrenty. You wont do any better than that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, I'm partial to the Epson line myself, and you can find quite a selection for under $800 if your expectations are reasonable. They offer great flexibility as to placement, good color, easy to use, pretty good right out of the box, lots of different models, some even have a DVD player and speakers built in (though I favor those that do not), a couple are very bright so you don't need a completely dark room, others feature lots of hookups like USB drives, USB to PC/laptop, and all the standard A/V inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA, etc.).

Plus Epson offers a 2 year warranty and excellent service. See the thread here on the 705HD, the 720p, but even some older models would fit your needs and can be found in the $650 price range.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts