AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a sub around $1000. For listening to music and watching movies. I have a Onkyo TX-NR5008 with Polk RTI speakers. My polk sub died. The room is around 20x20. I was looking at Definitive Technology SuperCube I. Is that the best in class for around that price point.

Thank you in advance.

-William

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Correct. Forget Definitive Technologies, Klipsh, Polk, etc.... Stick with:

a. Rythmik FV15 or better the FV15HP if you can afford but its a bit more than $1000.

b. HSU VTF-15H

c. Epik Empire

d. eD A7S-450

And... dont look back. Empires and some Rythmik Models are in backorder. You can mail or call them to see if they have any available. HSU are in stock. If you asked me order of preference then follow that order.

There is another new contender but its only 12" driver but 600W Rms plate amp. It's the new Emotiva X-Ref 12 for $599 as introductory price and can get two of them. But first choice are a,b, and c.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
You might want to consider adding Velodyne and SVSound (SVS) to the mix as well. They both make some pretty good subwoofers in that price range.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/20883528

Empires and some Rythmik Models are in backorder.

You'll more then likely encounter that same issue with eD. Seems like most of what they sell is on perpetual backorder.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20895583

You might want to consider adding Velodyne and SVSound (SVS) to the mix as well. They both make some pretty good subwoofers in that price range.

IMHO, Velodyne can't compete with the true Internet Direct brands. The deep bass is where Velodyne can't compete with comparably priced subs from companies like Rythmik, HSU, SVS, Ed, etc.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20895703

IMHO, Velodyne can't compete with the true Internet Direct brands. The deep bass is where Velodyne can't compete with comparably priced subs from companies like Rythmik, HSU, SVS, Ed, etc.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But either way, Velodyne shouldn't be summarily discounted -- they're at least worthy of exploring further.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20895759

Maybe yes, maybe no. But either way, Velodyne shouldn't be summarily discounted -- they're at least worthy of exploring further.

There's no maybe about it at that price point. Velodyne should be discounted.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass /forum/post/20895877

There's no maybe about it at that price point. Velodyne should be discounted.

I've found some pretty decent sales on Veoldyne over the years, so such blatant disregard would be foolish. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20896657

I've found some pretty decent sales on Veoldyne over the years, so such blatant disregard would be foolish. But, to each his own.

How about being specific? You have not suggested a model that would compare favourably with the subs suggested here. Unless you go second hand (which is not comparing apples with apples), there's nothing from Velodyne that competes on performance at the $1,000 price point with the other subs listed above. Prove me wrong and suggest a model.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
Now why would I even bother wasting my time doing that? No matter what I said it clearly wouldn't placate you, so it isn't worth the effort.

The OP's questions was "I am looking for a sub around $1000". Velodyne makes them so that's a valid answer, whether you agree with it or not. So why don't you simply let him make up his own mind?

William: Velodyne is a company worth looking into, just like the others that have already been mentioned. It's merely another choice. If you feel they don't make the type of product you're looking for then simply cross them off your list.

In the mean time I'm going to unsubscribe to your thread, in order to help ensure that it doesn't get polluted further. If you need something else please PM me.

Good luck in your search - I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sorry, but at $1K the Velodyne will not be as good as the HSU VTF-15, EPIK EMPIRE, eD A7S -450 or VHT 18. True, they make some of the best subs in comparison to what is typically available for the average consumer, but when you get into the ID market there are better choices, IMO.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/20883528

Correct. Forget Definitive Technologies, Klipsh, Polk, etc.... Stick with:

a. Rythmik FV15 or better the FV15HP if you can afford but its a bit more than $1000.

b. HSU VTF-15H

c. Epik Empire

d. eD A7S-450

And... dont look back. Empires and some Rythmik Models are in backorder. You can mail or call them to see if they have any available. HSU are in stock. If you asked me order of preference then follow that order.

There is another new contender but its only 12" driver but 600W Rms plate amp. It's the new Emotiva X-Ref 12 for $599 as introductory price and can get two of them. But first choice are a,b, and c.

Add SVS SB13-Plus to the above and that's a very good list to choose from.

I don't own any of the subs, nor have I ever heard any of them, so this is entirely based on research.

I have a 12" velodyne sub. I think it has a 200 watt amp. It didn't cost anywhere near $1,000. I think I paid around $200 for it about 10 yearas ago. I've owned several subs in the $200 price range and the Velodyne is probably the worst I've ever owned. It's almost as if it's not even there. I'm not sure if my sub is comparable to a $1,000 unit, so take my comment for what it's worth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.