AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly upgrading my sub: it's an SVS PC Plus 20-39 12" cylinder sub from 2006 if I recall. I am not even sure it makes sense to upgrade given my price point, but surely sub technology has evolved. I have been very happy with it, but I'm in the process of speaker and receiver upgrades for my dedicated front projection room, so might as well suck it up and consider a new sub. I am not one to upgrade audio too often as you can tell. The room it's going it is about 12 x 10 feet, with 8 foot ceilings. The room will also be sealed.

My speakers are going to be Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000s for fronts and 800s for surround. Since these are not large speakers, I definitely want some good punch from my sub and to make up as much as possible for that smaller speaker size. Make no mistake, my current SVS provides that, but even something with better bass quality is considered here.

This set-up will be strictly for Blu-ray movies by the way and likely paired with a Denon X4000 receiver.

I could consider something even slightly over $1000. That's how this is always goes, right?

Suggestions for something that would be a worthwhile improvement? Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1520875/best-sub-for-1000#post_24435893

I'm looking at possibly upgrading my sub: it's an SVS PC Plus 20-39 12" cylinder sub from 2006 if I recall. I am not even sure it makes sense to upgrade given my price point, but surely sub technology has evolved. I have been very happy with it, but I'm in the process of speaker and receiver upgrades for my dedicated front projection room, so might as well suck it up and consider a new sub. I am not one to upgrade audio too often as you can tell. The room it's going it is about 12 x 10 feet, with 8 foot ceilings.

My speakers are going to be Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000s for fronts and 800s for surround. Since these are not large speakers, I definitely want some good punch from my sub and to make up as much as possible for that smaller speaker size. Make no mistake, my current SVS provides that, but even something with better bass quality is considered here.

This set-up will be strictly for Blu-ray movies by the way and likely paired with a Denon X4000 receiver.

I could consider something even slightly over $1000. That's how this is always goes, right?

Suggestions for something that would be a worthwhile improvement? Thanks!
I'm not trying to get off topic here, but Is there a reason you are going with Definitive Technology speakers for? I've heard them and have not really cared for them, they kinda remind me of the old Infinity speakers they used to sell for home theater. I also don't think you would need a Denon X4000 for those small of speakers either.

Anyways in terms of a subwoofer, the one you have is quite a good subwoofer that they still sell today (updated model of course) for around $1200. It would be hard to find anything BETTER for less than $1000 I would think. You could pair it with another PC12-Plus (the new model) and have two running together.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

Yeah I don't think anything for around $1k is going to be a substantial upgrade over what  you have, so probably going duals would give you the greatest benefit.  Like Acoustic suggested, maybe "match" it (asthetically) with the new version.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My preference would be to go with Def Tech StudioMonitor 55's all around, a Rythmik FV15HP for the low end, and Denon's X1000 AVR.

The SM55 is a newer model than the Pro Monitor 1000, it uses 6 1/2" mids versus 5 1/4"'s in the PM1000, and it's a little less expensive. Having the same model speaker for every channel will present a more consistent soundstage as sounds pan across the room.

The Rythmik would be a significant step up from your current sub in both low end extension and max SPL.

I doubt you'd miss the extra power of the X4000 over the X1000. It doesn't take much to drive the Def Tech's to high volume. The X1000 has a lesser Audyssey version (XT vs. XT32), but if money's tight I think you'd get more bang for the buck getting the lower end AVR and spending the savings on the sub upgrade.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the Pro Monitors because of space limitations. They are going to have to be wall mounted and have to be below the projection screen which is going to be over 9 feet wide ( 9 3/4 with screen border). The wall is only 10 feet.

I've been breaking them in and they are pretty good actually for their size as I am running them full range for now. I don't play movies super loud either (more moderately high levels) and the room they will be in is not very big.

I am considering the X4000 as my calibrator really likes the Pro mode calibration abilities. I am not ruling out the X3000 though - still need to research it more. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are the pros and cons of sealed vs ported? Does sealed give a tighter bass where as ported is louder and boomier? The room being this small would seem to benefit from tighter bass I believe. It's not going to take a lot of ooomph to give a good effect.

I'm more of a video guy vs audio, so learning as I go here. lol

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
If your room is sealed the XS30 would be a huge upgrade over what you have!!

My opinion is a smallish sealed room, dual opposed sealed is a very good option.

I know that your calibrator likes dual opposed drivers

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1520875/best-sub-for-1000#post_24436135

What are the pros and cons of sealed vs ported? Does sealed give a tighter bass where as ported is louder and boomier? The room being this small would seem to benefit from tighter bass I believe. It's not going to take a lot of ooomph to give a good effect.

I'm more of a video guy vs audio, so learning as I go here. lol

Sealed will extend lower then ported but relies on room gain to lift the low end. Smallish sealed rooms are where a sealed sub will perform its best. They can work well in larger rooms, but normally it takes multiples to maintain headroom in the lower octaves. Ported subs will have a big advantage around the tune. For instance the XV15 would have a slight advantage around its tune over the XS30, but the XS30 will extend lower and have a significant output advantage above 30hz. Both alignments can sound equally as good.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds like sealed is probably the way to go in my room. I will take a good look at the X30.

I've always noticed my SVS sub sounded very slightly boomy or a better word, rumbly. However, it was in my (non closed) living room which was very large and completely open with high ceilings. This was the kind of sub I needed. It did really well with the conditions, but that's why I was thinking a different sub might very well work better in this new room.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1520875/best-sub-for-1000#post_24436171

Sealed room. I will give him a shout tomorrow.

I don't think he has first hand experience with the XS-30, but I know he likes that design very much.

BTW, the guys at PSA used to be with SVS

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Don't really see any of the $1K subs being a substantial upgrade to what you have. You seem to have not yet tried your current sub in you new small room. Give it a try in there and then decide if it's good enough.

If not IMO you'd be better off adding a PC12+ and running duals of similar subs. The PC12+ when in the outlet section goes for $1049 I believe.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
IMO the OP should go with dual subs. Yes I know its a small room but still duals are sweet and help out a lot. Dual SVS SB2000 would be my choice for his room next would be dual PSA XS-15.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kini62, I actually tried it in the new room and was very impressed with SVS. But, it's going on 8 years old and I don't upgrade audio very often...and since I am revamping everything for this set-up, I kind of rather just do it all now instead of a couple of years or so from now.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts