AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate to start 2 threads in a day - but it seems to make more sense than putting two completely different problems in the same thread...

im looking for a powered sub to add to my 2 channel music setup.

the hardware is as follows:

marantz pm8004

marantz sa8004

paradigm studio 60

rega p6

chord rca's

i demo'd some of the paradigm monitor subs, and i thought the 12 sounded beefy enough. $1000 is a little more than id like to spend, but ive seen it online as cheap as 750, which is about as much as id like to spend

any advice and input would be appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The Emotiva X-Ref 12 and SVS SB12-NSD are the two subs regularly recommended on the AVS subwoofer forum in your price range for 2 channel audio use. And yes. Most people there would agree that the Paradigm subs are over priced for what you get, and the Sub 12 is likely no better than these other two. Personally, I'd go with the SB12 because

(a) The X-Ref has a limiter that makes it roll off faster at 30hz and below, although this is not critical for 99.9% of the 2 channel music out there.

(b) The SB12 does have the option of letting you run the pre-out on your receiver to the sub and sending the signal back (connect on your power amp input) with an 80hz high pass filter applied; most subs only have an adjustable low pass filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you should also check out the outlaw audio subs. their lfm-1 ex sub. for 650 it is a lot of sub. the svs subs are also good. Anything from hsu research in the same price range is also well designed.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I have an Outlaw Audio EX. It's a very good sub. But the smaller SB12 and X Ref-12 sealed subs will sound better for music use.

The advantage of the EX would be if you have a very large space/room. As a larger ported sub, it has a lot more output than the smaller 12" sealed subs. And it will also have solid output down below 20hz, although most people don't need that frequency extension for 2 channel audio.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
As far as I am concerned, there are two subs I can recommend; the Rythmic FV-12 and the NHT B12D. Both sell for around $600 and are excellent.

I am using the NHT B12D with a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, and the sub performs flawlessly; never any sign of overload or distortion, even at very high levels. The NHT is an acoustic suspension design, very unusual for a sub, which results in smaller size (14" cube), and relatively non-critical placement due to no porting. It also has an impressive 500 watt RMS amplifier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really like the look and price of the NHT - thats a serious contender.

im really not into a ported sub as i feel like they are never quite as "precise." plus its a small room and a modest 70wpc amp, its not like i want to watch home theater cranked.

any good reviews of said sub kicking around?

·
Banned
1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeis11  /t/1415167/best-sub-for-a-2-0-music-only-system-around-750-or-less#post_22124725

really like the look and price of the NHT - thats a serious contender.

im really not into a ported sub as i feel like they are never quite as "precise." plus its a small room and a modest 70wpc amp, its not like i want to watch home theater cranked.

any good reviews of said sub kicking around?
No but reply #2 and hsuresearch.com would be good place to look into.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Did I miss the size of the room?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As of today right now - a small bedroom. 10x10 ish. Probably moving into something marginally bigger in the relative future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
^^^

I used to have the SB12 in a 12 x 12 room (2.1 music) with Sierra 1's and it was outstanding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, just as an aside, would it be preferable to have two smaller subs?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one other option i have available - i could forget about a sub altogether and upgrade to the studio 100s, a true 3 way with 3 7" bass drivers per pair, as opposed to my current 2.5 way with two 5" drivers. my concern here is that my marantz is only pushing 70wpc @8ohm, so im not sure i would really get the most out of those speakers with my system.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use to have KEF !05.2 reference series speakers, it has 12 inch woofers... I still added a sub
. Subs will dig deeper into the bass that no 7 inch woofer can

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, good point.

but what about 1 big sub vs two smaller ones?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right, the same principle applies. i get that

besides the fact that i really kinda feel that i might not be getting the perfomance im paying for out of 100s at 70wpc, all the reviews i read of them guys have them at 150 or more. which isnt surprising to push 4 7" drivers. but i digress.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Technically the difference in 70 watts vs 150 watts is 3 db. Now if the 150 watt amp is a better quality amp then there could dividends from upgrading to the 150 wpc amp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i guess what im ultimately looking for is more bass, if that means upgrating the speakers, so be it. i feel like the quality of the amp is actually pretty good. i dont need a ton more, in fact i wonder if more bass might be overkill

perhaps i should upgrade the speakers now while i still can (i have 30 days from the day of purchase) and then worry about a sub later if i still feel i need one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sounds like a plan, bigger fronts will give you better mid bass punch compared to the smaller bookshelves.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 44 Posts