AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice because I really don't know the market, what's out there, what's good quality/value, etc.

1. My budget = around $500. I would not want to spend a penny more than $800. I'd rather not go over $600 unless the performance difference would really be noticeable.

2. Size requirements/limits. I'm not quite sure. I'm thinking I will be OK with a 10 inch sub. I would not want to go lower and I'm not informed enough to know if I really ought to go higher. I guess I'd rather have a nice 10" than a marginal 12" or 15". Plus I know my budget might prohibit anything good that is larger than 10.

3. Room dimensions = My room is around 22' x 15'. See layout here: Attachment 169818 (I have no fireplace - that's where the display is.)

4. Primary uses = 40 % HDTV, 35 % PS3 games, 20 % BD movies, 5 % music (most of my music listening is in the car).

5. Listening habits = I want bass that is impressive but not overwhelming. TV volume is not loud or quiet. Game volume is either very quiet (if the fam is asleep or very loud if they are out of the home). Music volume is usually mid to loud for parties. BD volume is always very loud.

6. Appearance requirements = I'm more interested in performance and cost than appearance.

7. Timeframe. Frankly, I'd like it in days not weeks, but would wait weeks for a great value.

FYI, my display is a LN52A750. Receiver is a brand new Pio Elite SC-25. I will be using 5 older (for now) Paradigm speaker + this sub for sound.

Sincere thanks for any advice you could offer.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
For that room and since you're looking for quality of bass during loud and quiet passages, I'd have to go with a Rythmik sub. I believe they have a model in the $600-$650 range. Some other good options are HSU, SVS, eD, and Epik.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18298753

Seconding the Outlaw Audio sub. I think that may be the best value right now while it's on sale.

Shady-

Glad to hear you say that. Because of your help in another thread, I pulled the trigger on this sub because of the great sale. Should arrive monday!! Can't wait!!

joe

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18298753

Seconding the Outlaw Audio sub. I think that may be the best value right now while it's on sale.

Shady, This Outlaw price is very close to the Hsu VTF 2-MK3. Can you or others make any comparisons? I've seen many positive Hsu comments in their entire line up. My ratio is 85% HT, 15% music.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
SVS NSD-10 for $475. Second day playing with this one and it is a mighty sub with great balance from down low to high. Great with movies and music. Highly recommend you check on out - service was outstanding as well as build quality.

I my be buying an Outlaw too, mini, for an area that requires a small sub (twf), but I want something good without spending a lot.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Outlaw LFM-1 EX is much closer in ability to the VTF3 than VTF2, which is what makes it such a great deal. The LFM subwoofers are mostly just copies of the VTF subs from Hsu, in fact they are designed by Hsu for Outlaw Audio. They are not exact copies though, but they are very close.

The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus and EX will walk all over a PB10. The PB10 is not bad, but the Outlaw subs on sale they present a much greater value, in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ordered this sub and it is en route. I have a critical question I'm hoping somone can answer.

the LFM-1 EX owner's manual states that this sub should be connected to a 20 Amp circuit. I have a cable box, ps3, samsung LN52A750, and a Pioneer Elite SC-25. They are all connected to this HT surge protector. My home circuit is either 15 or 20 amp. The surge protector is 15 amp.

So what I need to know is if this sub is going to be OK and not overload my circuits. The surge protector shows that with all the other gear on and running, I'm only pulling 4 amps. The surge protector recommends not exceeding 12 amps on the circuit. Could this sub really draw 8 amps on top of what I've got?

Please advise.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Palzon, I don't think you will have a problem. I have had much more powerful stuff than that running on a 20 amp circuit with no problems. Subwoofers don't really draw that much energy, compared to other home appliances. There is no way a LFM sub will overload the circuit.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palzon /forum/post/18326212

I have ordered this sub and it is en route. I have a critical question I'm hoping somone can answer.

the LFM-1 EX owner's manual states that this sub should be connected to a 20 Amp circuit. I have a cable box, ps3, samsung LN52A750, and a Pioneer Elite SC-25. They are all connected to this HT surge protector. My home circuit is either 15 or 20 amp. The surge protector is 15 amp.

So what I need to know is if this sub is going to be OK and not overload my circuits. The surge protector shows that with all the other gear on and running, I'm only pulling 4 amps. The surge protector recommends not exceeding 12 amps on the circuit. Could this sub really draw 8 amps on top of what I've got?

Please advise.

Well, doing the quick math, with the amp being 1300 Watts peak, with the power equation P=IV, 8Amps*120Volts= 960 Watts, so in theory it could pull more than 8 amps very briefly during a peak. However, being that the RMS continuous current is 325 Watts and given typical listening levels, I highly doubt you would have to worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts