AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crutchfield just informed me that they can't ship me the Sony WM-40 since it's discountinued and they ran out. They're impossible to find from a reliable dealer at a decent price. I have a small room and just what the frequency coverage a subwoofer provides, I don't need blasting loud bass.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
doom, i'd normally recommend buying an audiosource sw-15 and modding it to all heck like what i did for a great HT sub and decent music sub for about $200 total cost that can rumble without boom with the big guys more than twice the price, but they're getting hard to find also for that price, i think a large e-tailer has it for $199 shipped with sale from time to time, but i've heard good things about the new(er) velodyne vw-10 i believe i think it was which i think i saw for about $170 plus shipping at 6th ave that people have good things to say about, and i htink isnt too much more than what you were planning on spending

good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
doom5

Go to jandr.com and check out the Acoustic Research S112PS for $149 and the Polk Audio PSW450 for $199.

Either one of those should be more than enough for your needs.

If you think those will more bass than you need then try the Sony SA-WM200 for $99 at Crutchfield.

Oh wait.....I just saw that Crutchfield now has the new Sony SA-WM500 for $199. Check it out. I would go with any of these except the smaller Sony. I really dont think you'll be satisfied with the 8"/75 watt sub. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Parts Express sells fully assembled subs for $98.00 and up for the 10" one.

It's called the DLS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I actually have found the Axiom EP125 8" 125watt subwoofer for $194 + shipping, Axiom direct sells it for $380 shipped! 8" means I won't be getting the lower frequencies, but shouldn't the Axiom be better for music than the rest of the subs listed?

Damn Crutchfield made we wait two days without shipping out my WM-40, so I had to call them, and they called me back later in the day saying it was discountinued and they ran out, the guy told me it was replaced with the WM-500, but I'd have to pay more $$ for it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Can't ypu still get those Sony's at Sears?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Used. Buy a used subwoofer. Trust me. You can get a $500+ subwoofer for $200 used. Just check the stores that do lots of trades or keep an eye in the paper.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Not entirely sure what to recommend, as this price sector doesn't provide any useful or adequate performance in the absolute sense, but more importantly will not suite your needs for home theatre, unless you have low performance expectations for the required use, whether it be bedroom use, or for background music duties.

If going the DIY route, you might try a shiva sonotube, with a cheap plate amp.The shive driver costs about $125, 300 plate amp more or less $50, and sonotube parts $25 or slightly more.Obviously this will blow away any commercial offering at even twice the price.Otherwise, it becomes increasingly hard to work with your suggested price range, as their simply is no market for good offerings, however they might suffice for bedroom use, or to complement computer speakers or the like.

Otherwise, what would be more sensible is to wait a bit longer and spend an additional $100-200 on a Tempest sonotube, achieves good output and deep extention, good luck.

Regard

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Ashman
Used. Buy a used subwoofer. Trust me. You can get a $500+ subwoofer for $200 used. Just check the stores that do lots of trades or keep an eye in the paper.
yes, this is what you need to do. i would search ebay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I second that motion. There are always 3 or 4 SA-WM40's on Ebay for about $170 shipped. Just make sure you check the seller's feedback and pay with a credit card (fraud protection).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just picked up two Sony WM40's at sears for 109ea. I think they are closeouts. I cant wait to try um....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yamafreek
I just picked up two Sony WM40's at sears for 109ea. I think they are closeouts. I cant wait to try um....
What a deal, I wish my wife would let me get a few more subs. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.