728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an appropriate powered sub for the following setup:

Rotel RSP-1068 preamp/processor

Rotel RMB-1075 multichannel amp - 120W x 5 channels

Mordaunt-Short MS10i Pearl Edition speakers - front

Mordaunt-Short MS20i speakers - rear

Mordaunt-Short MSCi speaker - center

Room size is about 1632 cubic feet (17 feet wide, 12 feet deep, 8 feet high). Floor is short carpeting, one wall is windows and the rest are concrete (it's an multiunit apartment building).

I would like a sub that would match well with the other speakers, provide enough bass output without being ridiculous (I do have close neighbors), and be available in a black finish.

Thanks. I can provide any more info that might help.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
SVS PB12 Ultra or HSU VTF3 are 1st that come to mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is your budget?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bet993
What is your budget?
Well, the front speakers, center, and rear speakers all together cost maybe $1700 when I bought them. The rears are about 8 years old, and the fronts and center are about 7 years old. They are still in near perfect condition and I really like the sound of them (the "British" sound). Although they would probably best be considered "budget" speakers, they are highly rated and produce a great sound in the room they're in.

I would say I'd like to spend under $750 for a subwoofer. I'm not looking for something cheap. I would like something highly rated that would compliment my current speakers.

Within the next few years, I am considering upgrading all speakers to B&Ws or something similar. But, that's beside the point.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

max190 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg
I would like a sub that would match well with the other speakers, provide enough bass output without being ridiculous (I do have close neighbors), and be available in a black finish.

Rocket ULW-10, MSRP $499, Satin Black

http://www.**********/products_produc...rs&product=6.1
max:

Thanks for the link. That seemed like a solid review for an under-500 sub. Plus, it's British, so it might match well with my British speakers.

Couple questions:

Is that site the only reseller in the U.S.? Does Onix have a website that shows resellers in the U.S.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I believe Rocket/Onix is only available direct from AV123 in the US.

Why do you believe Onix is British? I thought they were built in China, and AV123 is based in Louisville, KY.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv

Why do you believe Onix is British? I thought they were built in China, and AV123 is based in Louisville, KY.
I found an article with this quote through Google:

"Rocket is a brand of Onix Audio, a 20 year old British hi-fi manufacturer. Onix is currenty owned by a partnership between Mark Schifter and a Chinese entity. Onix owns a factory in China where Onix, Rocket and many other speakers are made under Mark’s personal supervision. Reportedly, Mark spends about nine months a year in China and is very involved with all aspects of manufacturing. This is a considerably different setup from the current trend, of designing a product in North America or Europe and outsourcing production to a third-party in China. Mark actually goes to China to oversee manufacturing and design aspects of the product."

The company is British, as is the design. They're simply manufactured in China, as are many products today. I do find it interesting that he involves himself so highly in the manufacturing process. It's nice to see that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv

The contact information for AV123 on their website is listed as Broomfield, Colorado, with all the nontoll-free phone numbers being out of Colorado also.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ha, I remembered "Louisville" from this AV123 webpage, but not that it was Colorado!
http://www.**********/about_story.php :)

BTW, I wasn't trying to denigrate Rocket/Onix by mentioning thet were built in China - I just wasn't aware they had any connection with the UK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.