Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24518154

My vote goes for the FV15HP or F25 if it's excluding shipping

+1, FV15HP would be my pick at 1.5k.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about around $2000 and how does the F25 sound compared to the FV15HP? I want deep, clean, and hard hitting bass.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
If you want deep bass, the FV15HP would be better than the F25. At $2k you can also look at the SVS PC13 Ultra and PB13 Ultra, in certain respects they do handle deep bass a bit better, but not entirely.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The FV15HP is such an amazing value cos it is a direct competitor to the SVS PB13 which holds it's own for considerably less money. They are both quality products and each has it's own strengths and no obvious weaknesses. Neither is clearly better than the other. If you have more than $1,500 I say get an FV15HP and put the extra in the bank towards saving for a second, unless you have enough to get a JTR Captivator, Seaton Submersive or PSA Triax.

I happen to like sealed subs so find the F25 appealing, but you don't get as much output for your dollar. What you do get is deep bass output below the tuning frequency of a comparable ported sub and in the case of the F25 more bass higher up the frequency range. You also get less group delay in the lower frequencies although the audibility of this is hotly debated.

If you have a smaller room and lean towards music I would get the F25. For a larger room or a room open to other spaces and movie use the FV15HP might be the go, although either one will probably get the job done.

If you want advice specific to your situation we really need to know the size and shape of your room, whether it's open to other spaces, intended sub location, listening habits, what else is in your system, LP etc.

My 2c

Phil

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24526373

The FV15HP is such an amazing value cos it is a direct competitor to the SVS PB13 which holds it's own for considerably less money. They are both quality products and each has it's own strengths and no obvious weaknesses. Neither is clearly better than the other. If you have more than $1,500 I say get an FV15HP and put the extra in the bank towards saving for a second, unless you have enough to get a JTR Captivator, Seaton Submersive or PSA Triax.

I happen to like sealed subs so find the F25 appealing, but you don't get as much output for your dollar. What you do get is deep bass output below the tuning frequency of a comparable ported sub and in the case of the F25 more bass higher up the frequency range. You also get less group delay in the lower frequencies although the audibility of this is hotly debated.

If you have a smaller room and lean towards music I would get the F25. For a larger room or a room open to other spaces and movie use the FV15HP might be the go, although either one will probably get the job done.

If you want advice specific to your situation we really need to know the size and shape of your room, whether it's open to other spaces, intended sub location, listening habits, what else is in your system, LP etc.

My 2c

Phil

+1

The FV15HP with a gloss black finish shipped is $1700 and will give you similar performance to the 2k SVS Ultra. SVS does have Rythmik beat with their free return shipping if you decide to go in a different during your in home trial. Also SVS will provide you with a longer warranty period.

What are you wanting to achieve? Room size? Listening habits?

For 2k dual HSU VTF15 subwoofers should also be considered

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24526424

+1

The FV15HP with a gloss black finish shipped is $1700 and will give you similar performance to the 2k SVS Ultra. SVS does have Rythmik beat with their free return shipping if you decide to go in a different during your in home trial. Also SVS will provide you with a longer warranty period.

What are you wanting to achieve? Room size? Listening habits?

For 2k dual HSU VTF15 subwoofers should also be considered

Depends where you live, in Canada the PB13 Ultra is about $2200 after shipping and taxes in either black oak or PB, the Rythmik FV15HP in PB is $2400 after shipping, taxes and currency conversion or $2150ish if its the black oak or black matte finish.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24526464

Depends where you live, in Canada the PB13 Ultra is about $2200 after shipping and taxes in either black oak or PB, the Rythmik FV15HP in PB is $2400 after shipping, taxes and currency conversion or $2150ish if its the black oak or black matte finish.

That's why if you are in Canada and want a high performance sub, it makes more sense to give Funk Audio a call. It's a better value because no import fees.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24526476

That's why if you are in Canada and want a high performance sub, it makes more sense to give Funk Audio a call. It's a better value because no import fees.

Yeah, funk seems to make solid subs. How you think their 18.0C holds up to the SVS SB13 Ultra or the Rythmik F15HP?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24526497

Yeah, funk seems to make solid subs. How you think their 18.0C holds up to the SVS SB13 Ultra or the Rythmik F15HP?

I think you can expect similar or maybe just a bit less deep bass but a lot more upper bass output.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,257 Posts

Due to your location making the prices basically equal, my vote would have to be for the PB13 Ultra. For output that you can really feel on movies, the 16-30 Hz region rules.  And like the Rythmik, the Utlra pounds exceptionally hard in this area.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Another option could be the Reaction subs, you could get 2 x BPS215 for close to $1500 with shipping included...and that is 4 x 15" drives split across 2 sealed enclosures.  I am having the same discussion/research myself, and the Reaction subs are a lot of sub for the $...just hoping for someone else to buy one and review it for the class ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipper  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24528336

Another option could be the Reaction subs, you could get 2 x BPS215 for close to $1500 with shipping included...and that is 4 x 15" drives split across 2 sealed enclosures.  I am having the same discussion/research myself, and the Reaction subs are a lot of sub for the $...just hoping for someone else to buy one and review it for the class

Might pay to skip these until there is some more feedback on them and the company is a bit more established. The stamped basket drivers do not inspire any confidence in me that these should be compared to the likes of the Rythmik and SVS options.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24529083

Might pay to skip these until there is some more feedback on them and the company is a bit more established. The stamped basket drivers do not inspire any confidence in me that these should be compared to the likes of the Rythmik and SVS options.
Stamped frames can work just fine. That's what the Tempest 15 used, as does the Dayton DVC 385-88, which is actually an updated version of the Tempest. Stamped won't work well with more than 15mm xmax, but with a 2x15 15 mm is quite sufficient.

Reactions: WhskyTangoFoxtrt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah how about dual VTF15 vs one FV15HP? Money is no object to me in terms of home theater as long as I hear and feel the results. In other words there has to be a considerable improvement. Output wise I believe one FV15HP would be just about enough but it is the sound quality that I am concerned about even more. I often turn off my Outlaw LFM-1 EX because some songs sound better without it. In other words it doesn't sound clean enough to me. I have a huge living room that runs into my kitchen and it is not sealed from anywhere. I listen to Rap, Rock, Pop and EDM. 75 Music / 25 HT. I want strong chest thump, and frequencies deep enough to shake my couch.

·
Registered
14,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0101  /t/1523837/best-sub-for-under-1500#post_24530494

Yeah how about dual VTF15 vs one FV15HP? Money is no object to me in terms of home theater as long as I hear and feel the results. In other words there has to be a considerable improvement. Output wise I believe one FV15HP would be just about enough but it is the sound quality that I am concerned about even more. I often turn off my Outlaw LFM-1 EX because some songs sound better without it. In other words it doesn't sound clean enough to me. I have a huge living room that runs into my kitchen and it is not sealed from anywhere. I listen to Rap, Rock, Pop and EDM. 75 Music / 25 HT. I want strong chest thump, and frequencies deep enough to shake my couch.

If money is no object then Captivators or Submersives are what you need to lay your benjamins on...they will have better sound quality and output over the other options. The reason why you hear about the VTF-15 or FV15HP is because they fall into more folks budgets, but there are better options.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think if money is no object and you want to have great sound quality then get two Rythmiks as a minimum. They have a circa 4dB advantage throughout most of the frequency range over the VTF15, even more of an advantage down low and are a definite step up in terms of sound quality but they should be given the higher price.

If money is really no object get a pair of JTR caps, Seaton Submersives or PSA Triaxs

1 - 20 of 61 Posts