AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title. I am looking for a sub that will be used exclusively for music. I somewhat consider myself an audiophile when it comes to music. I only listen to flac. I was looking into the Velodyne VX-11. I just wanted to get some more professional opinions. The most I would spend would be $200 and I dont care if it was a used speaker, off ebay, refurbished, or something like that to achieve my price range. Its all fair game. I am simply looking for a hi fi sub thats not boomy like most low quality subs, but yet still packs a punch. The sub will be used for a small bedroom so I'd say 15'x15'.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
it's tough to find a "musical" sub under $200, most of the under $200 offerings that are decent tend to be big boxes with 12" woofers to get maximum output for movies with minimum cost.... but they will tend to be boomy and definitely not "hi fi".

if you can squeeze out 50 more bucks this would be nice, a tight little musical sub: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

if you can push it closer to $300 then these would qualify, giving you even more output:

http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19584746

it's tough to find a "musical" sub under $200, most of the under $200 offerings that are decent tend to be big boxes with 12" woofers to get maximum output for movies with minimum cost.... but they will tend to be boomy and definitely not "hi fi".

if you can squeeze out 50 more bucks this would be nice, a tight little musical sub:

if you can push it closer to $300 then these would qualify, giving you even more output:

The way I see is now is I have two options. Buy the ultra sub 10 (because it seems to be the better of the two that you listed) or buy the 12 inch lava sub because with the discount, it comes in at almost the same price. What do you think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as far as I'm concerned, there is never too much power, but I do want to make sure that it has enough, you know what I mean? Anyways with whatever, I buy will I need to buy a receiver or just plug my left and right into the sub and I am good to go?

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyskillz /forum/post/19598604

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the lava 12 is better than the Emotiva Ultra 10? I think that is what it boils down to for me. preferably someone who has used both.

If its gonna be primarily music in a small bedroom go with the Ultra 10. It will still do HT well dont worry.

The Lava would be the better choice for HT due to it's ported design and higher overall output. It will also do music well if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz /forum/post/19598667

If its gonna be primarily music in a small bedroom go with the Ultra 10. It will still do HT well dont worry.

The Lava would be the better choice for HT due to it's ported design and higher overall output. It will also do music well if needed.

Thanks for the response. From my budget it basically comes down to the following.

1. Either the Emotiva 10 or 12

2. Lava 12

3. HSU STF-2

4. Either the eD A3S - 250 or A2 - 250.

As far as that goes, anything more would be over budget for me. I was originally only panning to pend 200 and here i have bumped it up to $350. What I am wondering with the lava 12 at a price point of $270, is it worth the extra $80 to choose one of these subs over the other. In other words, will I hear a clear difference for the price premium. I listen to all types of music from rock to electronica/trance. I know that some of these subs are ported and some of them are sealed an pretty much everyone has an opinion of what they like. i have only listened to ported so I dont know much about sealed subs.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyskillz /forum/post/19600485

Thanks for the response. From my budget it basically comes down to the following.

1. Either the Emotiva 10 or 12

2. Lava 12

3. HSU STF-2

4. Either the eD A3S - 250 or A2 - 250.

As far as that goes, anything more would be over budget for me. I was originally only panning to pend 200 and here i have bumped it up to $350. What I am wondering with the lava 12 at a price point of $270, is it worth the extra $80 to choose one of these subs over the other. In other words, will I hear a clear difference for the price premium. I listen to all types of music from rock to electronica/trance. I know that some of these subs are ported and some of them are sealed an pretty much everyone has an opinion of what they like. i have only listened to ported so I dont know much about sealed subs.

All the subs listed are gonna perform well if set up properly. Your just gonna have to pull the trigger. Remember you get 15% off at Lava. Thinking about this situation some more I would go with the 10" model from Lava. You will come in just over budget at 210.00 and you will have a great sub with good extension and output.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz /forum/post/19601236

All the subs listed are gonna perform well if set up properly. Your just gonna have to pull the trigger. Remember you get 15% off at Lava. Thinking about this situation some more I would go with the 10" model from Lava. You will come in just over budget at 210.00 and you will have a great sub with good extension and output.

If I were to go with lava, I would definitely get the 12" for the great price/performance ratio. Plus if I ever needed it for a bigger room or to use it as a home theater sub, then it would adequately suit the purpose. But for now, I am looking for the best sub for music in my price range. And I am still left hanging on the fence about whether to go with a sealed or ported sub.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyskillz /forum/post/19601248

If I were to go with lava, I would definitely get the 12" for the great price/performance ratio. Plus if I ever needed it for a bigger room or to use it as a home theater sub, then it would adequately suit the purpose. But for now, I am looking for the best sub for music in my price range. And I am still left hanging on the fence about whether to go with a sealed or ported sub.

Then I would go with the 12" model if you can swing the money.

Another thing to keep in mind is a subwoofer EQ. If this room is truly 15x15 then your gonna have a very hard time getting an even response from any sub you put in there. Square rooms tend to be a nightmare as they compound and amplify room modes more than normal.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19605743

Yes you will

Whats powering your 2.0 speakers right now?

What are these speakers you already have?

Nothing fancy. m- audio AV 40s powered by my sound card and an outlet. We're talking computer speakers not home audio or anything.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
Power is actually one of the LAST things he needs, being in a 15x15 room!

I would actually specifically avoid the Onkyo 608 for the reason stated above:

Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind is a subwoofer EQ. If this room is truly 15x15 then your gonna have a very hard time getting an even response from any sub you put in there. Square rooms tend to be a nightmare as they compound and amplify room modes more than normal.

The 608 only has Audyssey 2EQ which will not EQ the sub at all. I would strongly suggest going for a model with MultEQ (the step up from 2EQ) which does EQ the sub. If you don't need 3D support, you could probably find the Onkyo 707 from last year for a good price, or check out the Denon models, which all have MultEQ. For a basic 5.1 setup the 591/1611 model (or the 590/1610 from last year if you don't need 3D) will do great in a bedroom.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts