AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im trying to piece together something decently cheap but still good and im pretty sure i want a sub in the mix. I listen to music and play xbox 360 alot so i think its crucial. Bad thing is that im a college student and money is tight. I was wondering if you guys could help me out as im new to the HT-Sub world. I dont need something just rediculously loud but im NOT looking for a sub like you can get in a HTIB...somewhere in the middle...the lower middle actually haha. I'd like to spend around $100 if possible. I dont know if it is possible but im checking Craigslist.org and local boards but im just not sure what good and whats not. Im hoping there a decent sub for under or close around $100. Thanks for the help guys! Oh room size is about 12x20 and pretty open. Thanks!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
im by no means an expert. But with a room that big 100 bucks isnt gonna get ya much. I would hold out for another couple hundred bucks and get the ed a2-300 its a 12'' and may honestly still be lacking a bit in that room but will do much better then 100 bucks at 315 shipped.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I suggest you increase that budget to around $150. There are two perfect choices for you around ~150 shipped.

Velodyne VX-10 (BHPhotoVideo.com)

Athena AS-P4100 (AudioAdvisor.com)

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a freshman, I had a Dayton sub-100. It served me very well. As a sophomore, I went a little overboard. I hope my MFW-15 will fit in my dorm.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakan /forum/post/14162782

As a freshman, I had a Dayton sub-100. It served me very well. As a sophomore, I went a little overboard. I hope my MFW-15 will fit in my dorm.

lmao in a dorm damn man your gonna have some complaints in no time but at least they will be good complaints

also theres an outlaw sub thats 199 thats supposed to be good bang for the buck good luck man .

·
Registered
686 Posts
You will definitely have to go used to get anything even close to big enough to fill that size room. As far as recommendations, you'll really have to find something first and then ask for a yay or nay on it. We won't be able to recommend based on used prices, as who knows what you'll find for what price in what condition.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool /forum/post/14162760

I suggest you increase that budget to around $150. There are two perfect choices for you around ~150 shipped.

Velodyne VX-10 (BHPhotoVideo.com)

Athena AS-P4100 (AudioAdvisor.com)

How does the Dayton Sub-120 add up to these? The sub itself looks kinda week but i've heard it has great excursion but it can be 1-noted to some people. Im not looking for anything thats going in a home theater or anything...just something decent that will change my listening.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_zwole /forum/post/14162826

lmao in a dorm damn man your gonna have some complaints in no time but at least they will be good complaints

also theres an outlaw sub thats 199 thats supposed to be good bang for the buck good luck man .

Heeh, true story:

In my dorm (studio single) I almost got sighted for bass-related noise violations with my ACI Maestro XL. The guys entered my room and noted on the card that it couldn't have been me because I didn't have any subwoofers.

In-laid cherry for the stealthy win

OP: With that budget, it is going to be hard to get good bass slam with that size room. You will definitely have to put the subwoofer close range. I would generally recommend something like the AV123 X-sub, but that is double your budget :/

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakan /forum/post/14162782

MFW-15 in a dorm room?! Yeah, no way you will not get written up after playing it just once. =) I wish I had something like that back when I was in college.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not much better... MFW-15 in a suite lounge in college.

But then again, I'm a senior so all the underclassmen can shove it.

In terms of a ~$100 sub... Go subless for a while and save up. Not many acceptable choices at that range...

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruzzutT /forum/post/14167294

I'm not much better... MFW-15 in a suite lounge in college.

But then again, I'm a senior so all the underclassmen can shove it.

In terms of a ~$100 sub... Go subless for a while and save up. Not many acceptable choices at that range...

I'm actually doing the same thing. A equalized MFW-15 in the living room of our suite. Paired with 5.1 setup it will certainly get us in trouble at least once. The key is to know the rules _very_ well.

OP,

I agree, if your budget does not allow for at least ~130 for the dayton the money is better saved. The minimal is either the VX-10 or the Sub-100 anything less is MUCH MUCH less.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 /forum/post/14165089

How does the Dayton Sub-120 add up to these?

It's fairly comparable to the Velodyne and the Athena. Most report the other two sound better but the Dayton digs a bit lower and might actually fill the room better.

I'd go for the Velodyne myself, though, in the $150 price range.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:

I was in the a dorm, and was listening to movies at reference....textbooks were falling off peoples walls even in other dorm rooms. I got so many complaints, but it was worth it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The AV123 X-sub is on sale right now for as little as $149+shipping if you can increase your budget a little. Although, their website shows $159 for satin black and $10 more for CRS and MoNS when you order it, hmm. I would call and ask them if CRS and MoNS are really $149.

OK - here are the numbers

Enjoy

All the best

mls

x-sub CRS Cherry Rosa Satin $249.00 $149.00

x-sub MoNS Moho Natural Satin $249.00 $149.00

x-sub PNS Palisander Natural Satin $249.00 $169.00

x-sub PRS Palisander Rosa Satin $249.00 $169.00

x-SUB SB Satin Black $219.00 $159.00

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Whats all that CRS and MoNs stuff? PRS? SB?

its the finish choices....CRS is Cherry Rosa Satin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts